Page 25 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526272829303575 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Originally Posted by JerryG
    Are you a developer/programmer?
    Yes I am, I should have phrased my post better, I assumed that NaNPlayer was using undocumented API's, so that's why I said that
    @kesne

This deals with your reply to Blubble stating he may not develop for WebOS anymore -

OK. Now then, when I was a field technician, I was asked to develop a program, when I wasn't out at the customer sites. It was for use by my department, and FWIW, it was a multiuser database app for personnel records, to be used by our branch offices around the country. It used the Recital interpreter, running on VAX/VMS. I spent 3 years getting that application to version 1.0 (the company I work for is over 150 years old, we don't rush much )

When I was just about to release Version 1.0, our human resources department said no, you can't use that, we just bought Product X. They forgot to copy me in on the email. I can sympathise with Blubble feeling this way. Ya gotta cut hime some slack here. Figuratively speaking, he was going through the labor pains of birthing this awesome program, and then.... well, you figure it out. Hopefully he'll feel better in the "morning".

Regards,
    -JerryG

PS - my beta testers continued to clandestinely use my version 0.99 program, until we retired the hardware it was running on. And undocumented APIs are another story...
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Actually, I've been in communication with Palm about the API's that I need to access. They said basically the same thing to me, they're not available yet. However, I didn't just give up, and run away. I continued communication with them through the forums:
    will com.palm.downloadmanager ever be opened to 3rd parties?
    downloadmanager does not follow redirects all the way
    Audio playback stops before the end
    and many others.

As we can see from the following test, downloadmanager access HAS been opened up in WebOS 1.2.

This is the proper way to effect change, not by threatening to take your ball and go home, while in the process, giving fodder to the Palm-haters.
    Agree with everything stated here
  3.    #483  
    I never actually stated that I would abandon the app. Regardless of what Palm does, I will release it through homebrew if need be. I will continue to work on it, although I probably will scale back the pace of production somewhat. Still, it should be available at least as homebrew within the next 30 days.

Having said that, I don't feel terribly inspired to develop more apps using the current SDK, but I felt that way before all this.

The SDK and the general javascript/HTML method for building apps is sorely lacking. Even with the undocumented API, I couldn't accomplish many of the features I wanted to include such as EQ, recording, etc. I have written a lot of professional audio apps over the years using C++ and even Visual Basic.NET. It has been very frustrating to keep coming up against the limitations of Mojo. Unless they come out with some sort of SDK that will allow the creation of binaries or at least JVM apps, then I think that the platform will eventually fail.

I have been interested in Android since before I even heard about webOS and the Pre. I am going to try my hand at developing apps on that platform next. In the end, I may produce apps on both Android and webOS. We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Actually, I've been in communication with Palm about the API's that I need to access. They said basically the same thing to me, they're not available yet. However, I didn't just give up, and run away. I continued communication with them through the forums:
    will com.palm.downloadmanager ever be opened to 3rd parties?
    downloadmanager does not follow redirects all the way
    Audio playback stops before the end
    and many others.

As we can see from the following test, downloadmanager access HAS been opened up in WebOS 1.2.

This is the proper way to effect change, not by threatening to take your ball and go home, while in the process, giving fodder to the Palm-haters.
    Amen, and I missed the download manager post, great to know that's exposed now. Hated having to trick my package name
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    This is a killer app, period. You have done some amazing work on this and I hope that it continues to thrive. It is one of the handful of apps (catalog or homebrew) that I actually want to pay to use. I think we should all provide you some incentive to keep up the great work.

As far as Android, the HTC Hero introduced Sense UI is pretty sweet looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    I never actually stated that I would abandon the app. Regardless of what Palm does, I will release it through homebrew if need be. I will continue to work on it, although I probably will scale back the pace of production somewhat. Still, it should be available at least as homebrew within the next 30 days.
    I understand that it feels frustrating, but since palm says they are working on it I hope you will be accepted in the appstore in a not so distant future.

Having said that, I don't feel terribly inspired to develop more apps using the current SDK, but I felt that way before all this.

The SDK and the general javascript/HTML method for building apps is sorely lacking. Even with the undocumented API, I couldn't accomplish many of the features I wanted to include such as EQ, recording, etc. I have written a lot of professional audio apps over the years using C++ and even Visual Basic.NET. It has been very frustrating to keep coming up against the limitations of Mojo. Unless they come out with some sort of SDK that will allow the creation of binaries or at least JVM apps, then I think that the platform will eventually fail.
    Based on what you have been able to produce so far (and what you state above) it seems that you are one of the more qualified persons to give feedback to palm to improve and expand the current SDK.

Anyway, keep up the good work.
    @Blubble - You said you are going to release it to homebrew once it is done...Was it not done when you tried to release it to palm? I personally (as well as others) are DESPERATE for a player that can make playlists. Can't you submit to the homebrew gallery the version of NaNplayer you submitted to Palm? We are itchy for this app...
    Early access developers can submit a app without being done with the app. Just send the idea as well with a full list of functions and everything.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  9.    #489  
    Rennat is correct. EAP developers were asked to presubmit any apps they were working on. The idea is to work with Palm to get the apps released. Unfortunately, they put you in the hands of marketing guys that by their own admission, know next to nothing about software development.

Given the situation, I have decided that I will release a beta trial version of NaNplayer in the homebrew gallery once we are done with beta testing and a bit more development. That should be within the next 30 days.

Then, I will continue to add some of the advanced features like dynamic playlists, user editable skins and other cool things that are in concept stage. That way, when Palm finally gets their **** in gear, the full "pro" app will be available for sale through the app store. Most users will have to wait for the app, but when it finally comes out, it will be a lot more mature app. It's not the best solution, but due to Palm's unwillingness to work something out, it is the best we can do.
    Ahah! I knew this had something to do with marketing. I could smell it.

So, first off, Blubble, in Palm's defense, look, Jon Rubenstein came on in 2007. To get a functioning smartphone out of Palm in basically a year... gargantuan task. Huge. I'm actually astonished they got the phone they have with the resources they had. They were lucky. Am I surprised WebOS is missing some basic functionality? No.

Android is going to be more advanced. Google has way more money and more resources. It's going to be a different experience. I like to think of it like this. You can complain about creating a new investigative documentary series wtih PBS, but hey, dude, it's PBS. They have no money. They have a shoe string infrastructure. It's frustrating, but it's PBS. You could move to CNN, they have more money, they have a greater infrastructure. But they also have their own... challenges.

Okay, it's a messy metaphor, but you get my drift. They're new, they're working their asses off. They went from zero to 60 in no time. Their code is a mess. I get it. But really, you expected what? Windows Mobile 7?

But to your credit, I think that you should never have to deal with marketing to get approval for your app. Ever. Period. You should make your app, and it should get accepted based on tech. Marketing should sell your app once it's ready.

Based on your experience, how can Palm improve their app approval process? I understand if you can't answer. I've got my own ideas, but what would you suggest?
    Blubble,

Can you send me the ipkg so I can start using it ? I really don't need it to be finely tuned or anything man . I'd just really like to start using a better player ASAP. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

-Mike
    I see alot about wanting more hardware access and a better sdk, so I'm curius as to what is possible to add to the sdk to make it better? How can it get more native can it even get c++? Just curious as to what's possible in the future of webos
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Are you taking donations yet? I've been meaning to donate to all the apps I use and did most this weekend!

With DrPodder, I've pretty much stopped using my iPod...I haven't used it in over a week! With improved music players, I may not even bother buying a 64 GB iPod Touch!

Let me hit ya up with a few bucks!

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    I don't expect it for free, I want to see the full pro version available so I can buy it!

<<edited by berd>>

I manufacture a niche high-end product, so I have some understanding. But I do it to make the best product I can and a happy customer

Make it and put it up for sale... like PTunes et al did.

I may have mistaken his intentions totally, and if so, I sincerely apologize.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 09/14/2009 at 09:24 PM.
    <<deleted unnecessary posts>>

Keep it Civil Please.

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    So when is the homebrew release date?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MOE-GUNZ View Post
    So when is the homebrew release date?
    Ditto I'm really looking forward to trying this app out and I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be willing to donate to become a beta tester. If you build it they shall come!
  18.    #498  
    I don't have a set homebrew release date yet. It should still be within the next 30 days.

We are already in the middle of beta testing, although I took a break from development last week to catch up on some other things. I appreciate the offers, but I don't think it's right to have folks pay to test an app.
    Your app looks awesome. Please keep us up to date on release or beta testing options.
    Thanks!
    Given the situation, I have decided that I will release a beta trial version of NaNplayer in the homebrew gallery once we are done with beta testing and a bit more development. That should be within the next 30 days.
    I don't have a set homebrew release date yet. It should still be within the next 30 days.
    On 09/11/2009 you said 30 days.
    On 09/21/2009 you said 30 days.

Looks like the Music Player (Remix) created by DanPLC is winning the race, and involving the whole PreCentral community as beta testers every step of the way!