Page 24 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425262728293474 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    Are you a developer/programmer?
    Yes I am, I should have phrased my post better, I assumed that NaNPlayer was using undocumented API's, so that's why I said that
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I'm disappointed by the rejection of NANPlayer however I full understand and respect their decision. They released an SDK and guidelines for the SDK to promote development and protect their users. How can anybody truly be angry at Palm for rejecting an application that did not follow the guidelines they set and the developers agreed to abide by when they downloaded the SDK in the first place?

That said, I would hope Palm would extend their resources and offer suggestions on how to make the app in a way that would allow it to be accepted. People unhappy with this decision should express it to Palm by stating they want Palm to open up the SDK more to give developers more tools to produce great applications and in turn they should be patient and remember this is a new platform and the SDK will grow over time. Apple's SDK was missing a lot of features when it was first released and has had several years to refine it, let's give Palm some time to do the same.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thetreoguys View Post
    Wow this is total BS! Use of undoccumented API means this app got shot down by red tape or possibly another app is going to do this soon?? So the hell wat they dont support it, THEY DONT SUPPORT THRID PARTY APPS in the first place. Anywho lets be civil about this with a good plan. Lets have this app on the homebrew app section and watch the downloads and donations fly. Once Palm see the popularity of this app and sees the $$ opportunity of it, it will graduate to their catlog with watever redtape they wanted from first submission.

This case is a perfect example of the need for a better SDK for the dev community. Their underestimating our powers and the stuff we can pull out!!
    I believe it will eventually be supported API and will be part of the SDK. At that time I think if Blubble resubmits it would be accepted. Its not because its 3rd party app, its because it is using something that should not currently be available to use in the SDK and apps made from it. Hopefully the SDK is improved and apps are able to take advantage of more APIs that are currently not supported in the SDK.

I honestly don't think it is because Palm doesnt think it will be a popular app. I believe they know it will be, and that they would make money off placing it in there. The problem is that it breaks their EULA, and letting 1 go through sets a precedent and can create more problems long run.
    So I'm sending off an email. And I'm as ticked off as you are, but you may want to take a breather before you decide to give up on the Pre.

You're obviously a great dev, you've hit on a solution the Pre desperately needs. And you WILL make money on the app. I've already said I'd easily pay $20 for something stable. I'd pay $40 for something that blows me away.

And I'll say what Palm hasn't said. The Pre desperately needs devs like you that work their asses off to create a great app. Thanks for the hard work you've put in so far.

Keep going. Don't release it before it's ready. Make it solid, no nasty security leaks or anything. And let me know when I can buy it.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    I paid over $30 for good Palm apps: Agendus, Wordsmith, HanDBase, iSilo, Splashdata products, etc.

I will have no problem paying $20 or more for a good music (or any good) app--homebrew or Palm app catalog. I bought Palm apps in the past that were at the developer site and not the popular PalmGear or Handango. I went to where the best apps were.

Please don't give up! Eventually the API will be released and you'll be the first app in the catalog! You're just ahead of the curve! People like you and the homebrew community that draws early adopters to new products!!! :-)
    And P4atrikh, I'm certain that Palm is working their **** off to get the SDK in shape. It's not ready yet, but not because they're sitting on their butts watching the Simpsons.

To be honest, hats off to Jon Rubinstein for coming on board in 2007, and by mid 2009, Palm has a top notch smartphone that has the potential to be THE top smartphone. That in itself was a miracle.

I'm certain they understand the urgency of getting an SDK out. They should also understand the urgency of helping out thirdy party devs. The Pre I got from Bell has been remarkably stable. I don't want that to change. I don't Palm to rush apps out into the world that risk the stability of my phone. But I also don't want Palm to tick off devs who have the potential to create that killer app that makes iPhone and Blackberry owners stop and take serious notice of the Pre.

I'm not a programmer, it's true, but there has to be some middle ground. There has to be a way to get a excellent killer app out to the world even if the SDK is still not fully baked.
    lots of knee-jerk reactions here. Think about it for a second guys, their rejection makes perfect sense. It sucks yes, but come on, if they allowed it, they would either have to tip-toe around NaNPlayer and any other apps that used the undocumented API or risk breaking it when they need to change it and pissing off users.

It's a no-win for them, but I believe they chose the right path. Yes, it looks like it's a cool app, but allowing apps that don't conform to the standards will cause nothing but headaches for them down the line.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    I'm curious as to what the guy peeping over the wall into the girls stall app icon is all about?
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    They could have chosen to wait. They could have chosen to tell Blubble that they need time to solidify the SDK. They could have told him they were excited to have his app in the catalogue.

It's about more than just following the rules. It's about developing and encouraging a community. I think Blubble understands the technical issues. I think he is also someone Palm would want on their side, and not leaving to work on Android apps, which is what he plans on doing.
    OK, app catalog or not, how do I get a copy to test, use, try, enjoy? I loathe the OEM music app and the remix version still leaves much to be desired.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    I would recommend stop sending emails to palm regarding this. There are ways around this and I have already sent a message to Blubble. The more you spam palm the less apps that get submitted into the app catalog.

They have their regulations in place for a reason and sending emails will not change it. They know many people support homebrew apps but they have to stand by their decisions. Just stay tuned for more info!

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    They could have chosen to wait. They could have chosen to tell Blubble that they need time to solidify the SDK. They could have told him they were excited to have his app in the catalogue.

It's about more than just following the rules. It's about developing and encouraging a community. I think Blubble understands the technical issues. I think he is also someone Palm would want on their side, and not leaving to work on Android apps, which is what he plans on doing.
    It is my understanding Palm told him that "We cannot accept NaNPlayer into the app catalog at this time"

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Unfortunately coming from the iPhone over to the Pre I can say I wouldn't bewilling to pay a price tage of higher than maybe at most $5 for this. Especially when most iPhone apps are $0.99. Sorry.
    yes but most of those .099$ apps are fart apps

this is an amazing player! jsut look at the videos, its easily worth more than $5
    So has Bubbles given an ETA for when this app will hit the homebrew app catalog? I know a lot of us are really looking forward to it and would donate.
    I bought Pocket Tunes for my Treo, and I have no problem buying a good music app for my Pre... please keep the development going!
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L33t Masta View Post
    Unfortunately coming from the iPhone over to the Pre I can say I wouldn't bewilling to pay a price tage of higher than maybe at most $5 for this. Especially when most iPhone apps are $0.99. Sorry.
    As a Palm OS user, I would expect to get what I paid for if an application/software program provides significant improvements or benefits to the device. Would I pay $20 for a facebook or twitter app? NOJ because I can do everything (though more clumbsily) via the webpage for free.

Allowing the device to do things you cannot do without the app versus simplifying ease or use is the difference for me.
    I think I remember Blubble stating that he planned to charge no more that $5 for this app in the app catalog.

It's sad to hear such a great app won't get accepted. Because of the reasons of the denial, I'm wondering if DrPodder(PrePod) will also get denied as well.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    It's sad to hear such a great app won't get accepted. Because of the reasons of the denial, I'm wondering if DrPodder(PrePod) will also get denied as well.
    Actually, I've been in communication with Palm about the API's that I need to access. They said basically the same thing to me, they're not available yet. However, I didn't just give up, and run away. I continued communication with them through the forums:
    will com.palm.downloadmanager ever be opened to 3rd parties?
    downloadmanager does not follow redirects all the way
    Audio playback stops before the end
    and many others.

As we can see from the following test, downloadmanager access HAS been opened up in WebOS 1.2.

This is the proper way to effect change, not by threatening to take your ball and go home, while in the process, giving fodder to the Palm-haters.
    Blubble,

Don't give up. You're one of the few people here at PreCentral who motivated me to become a Developer myself. Granted, I don't write such awesome/powerful apps as you have already done, but I am working on my own things, at my own pace. That being said, what you have done is truly revolutionary and unbelievably creative. I REALLY think that you took it the wrong way. Do not let this stifle your creativity. In fact, it should only motivate you. Take it as an open invitation. Basically, I translated what Palm said as this: "Your application requires too much from us. It's too hardcore and we're not ready for it. Please give us some time to prepare ourselves for what your Application is about to do for our phone". In other words, it's too awesome and powerful, and they're just not ready for it. Take it as some free time that you have been granted to add extra functionality/polish up your app. Keep the channel of communication open with Palm.

Remember how everyone LOVED PTunes on the Palm OS until they finally caved and started including it standard on following devices/upgrades?

THAT should be your goal. Honestly speaking, sounds like it's pretty much there. From the voice of the forums here (using it as a sample of the general population of Pre owners) EVERYONE, and I LITERALLY mean > 95% of Pre owners will love or at least in some way, really want this app. Please don't let us all down. After all, aren't WE the reason you started developing, being so responsive, and taking in our suggestions in the first place?

Don't do it for Palm, do it for us.