Page 23 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627283373 ... LastLast
    Add me to the list of last.fm people. Not a priority, just maybe a future enhancement after it hits the catalog.
    Can't wait for the app. Is there a way for you to make it aa compatible so that it can play audible files? Everything looks awesome, but I'd really like to listen to my books. I also have drPodder so separating the podcasts would also be great. Keep up the good work.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    an On The Go playlist option would be sweet. the whole purpose of On the Go is, so you can make a quick playlist without saving, of course i quick save list would be nice too.

ex. would be, me, 1 week ill have 5 new songs, that im loving, and that i want to just hear only, so i would make a on the go list, to just play them quickly.
    Suggestion

First off project looks great! Secondly I apologize if this has already been suggested

I was wondering if there would be a way to edit song information. I notice on my pre, a lot of mp3s are "unsorted" (about 25%) and thats an issue. I was wondering if you can implement something to allow us to enter the artist manually or maybe just have it pull from the mp3 name.

Thanks
  5.    #445  
    Hi folks,

I have taken a few days off, but I am now back on development. I will be adding several new features that the beta testers and other forum members have suggested. There will be some very cool stuff added. I am also in contact with Palm with regard to getting the app in the catalog.

I will continue looking at ways to handle podcasts. Unfortunately, the API for handling media libraries is pretty basic. In fact, it is bordering on pathetic. There is no way to write or edit tags and it only allows the reading of the most basic tags.

I like Last.fm as well, although I have been using Pandora more these days since there is a good app for the Pre. Still, I will look to add a scrobbling feature for the app.
    Last edited by Blubble; 09/07/2009 at 06:55 PM.
  6.    #446  
    @bdhu2001,
    Unfortunately, there is no way to add support for new file formats or codecs. For now at least, I will only be able to support formats that are supported by webOS.

@kleany,
    I am not sure what you mean by on the go playlists. You can currently create playlists using the artist, album, song and genre list views. You can also save playlists from the Now Playing view. So if you were listening to those 5 songs, you could just hit the Save Playlist button on the Now Playing screen and save a playlist.

@danno1769
    Sadly, there is no way to write tags to the files on the phone. This is a result of the mediocre media API available to developers. In the future, I will look for ways to accomplish these features.
    Quote Originally Posted by kleany View Post
    an On The Go playlist option would be sweet. the whole purpose of On the Go is, so you can make a quick playlist without saving, of course i quick save list would be nice too.
    From previous posts by Blubble and video examples, There is already an On-The-Go playlist option available. Although functions slightly differently than an iPod would. Because if you're playing a song you really like you can hit the button to add it to a playlist, and choose what playlist you want, the app also features the ability to create playlists on the device itself. So I say this is more of a full-featured on-the-go playlist feature.
  8.    #448  
    I have some bad news folks. Palm has told me that they will not allow my music player NaNplayer into the App Catalog at the current time.

Palm stated that they don't support music file indexing and consequently won't admit the app into the App Catalog. It doesn't seem to matter that the app is works just fine on the Pre and that it is substantially better than their pathetic stock music player in terms of features and performance. I guess you should stick to iPhone or other platforms if you want a decent music player on your phone.

I won't spite the user community just because of Palm's decision. I will release NaNplayer to the Homebrew gallery once it is done. However, this will still leave most Pre users to get by with a music player that doesn't even let them create a playlist. However, I will slow the pace of development considerably. I can't continue to dedicate so much time to developing an app that may never be released to the majority of webOS users. In all likelihood, I will not develop any more webOS apps in the future.

If you'd like to see NaNplayer in the App Catalog, let Palm know.

Palm.Developer.Marketing@palm.com

catalog.ecommerce.beta@palm.com
    Last edited by Blubble; 09/09/2009 at 08:28 PM.
    Hey man this is B.s. i am writing an email to palm right now. I am sorry this is happening to you. But so you do know, you do ave a core number of people here following you, and i know it is not the same but i know me among many others would be very happy to pay for this app. I hope realizes their mistake and allows you into the catalog. In the mean time the homebrew community here is happy to have you and hopes that you will not stop developing apps because from the look of NaN you have a true talent my friend! Thanks for everything you have done, and i know i do not just speak for myself.
    emailed
    Blubble,

I wouldn't be too concerned. It may be undocumented right now, but the SDK is still beta. Once everything is out and full-featured, I'm sure a resubmission would be accepted. Don't worry, your app is too advanced for them to comprehend.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    emailed...
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Emailed the following:
    I lined up for the Pre the day it went on sale.
    It's a great phone and operating system
    Not perfect, the music player is missing some key features that Pocket
    Tunes had on my previous Treo phones.

Then I read about a new music player in development. I contact the
    author and give him my list of things I'd like to see.

In the following weeks I follow along as one by one he adds the
    functionality I'm looking for.

He also makes it known that he is interested in putting his app in the
    official app catalog.

Still very excited, I wait patiently.

Then tonight he announces that you've rejected NaNPlayer because it
    indexes music?

I urge you to re-think your decision. So far NaNPlayer appears to
    out-class your stock player in just about every way possible.

It's one of the most anticipated applications in development for WebOS.
    Would be nice to see it in the official catalog.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
    Obscura
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Wow, that is upsetting for so many reasons. At the core of my dissapointment is that it appears that Palm has not only failed to deliver a device with a competent, competitive media player, their development platform is also crippled in such a way that hiders development of such an app. IANAD, but media file indexing seems lke it would be incredibly important to decent startup performance (the area of Palm's app that is so obviously unacceptable). I imagine this just isn't a priortity for Palm at this time and it is something they will get too when they can, but the performance of their app is very frustrating. NaNPlayer performs so much better!

Of course it is also dissapointing to see someone put so much effort into improving the Palm Pre experience and then being turned down by Palm.

Will email Palm, and will ask Dieter and folks to front page this issue.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    I honestly have no problem with Palm's decision, in fact I almost support it for a few reasons, and pouting and saying "In all likelihood, I will not develop any more webOS apps in the future." isn't helping your case from my perspective. :/
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I would like to understand more regarding their decision and what they said precisely.
    A rejection without any information is not a response it is a pure denial and I am sure Palm gave more information than "No as we don't support indexing"

I can understand your frustration after the months of effort you have invested and can see why you responded the way you did. I suggest you and all of those who are interested should write to Palm. However the response to Palm should be please explain your reasoning and whether this will change at some point in the future (i.e. is the current restriction due to the Beta of the SDK). If this is not likely then please explain how adequate performance using the SDK could be achieved without using indexing

I am writing to them now
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Message sent
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kesne View Post
    I honestly have no problem with Palm's decision, in fact I almost support it for a few reasons, and pouting and saying "In all likelihood, I will not develop any more webOS apps in the future." isn't helping your case from my perspective. :/
    Are you a developer/programmer?
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    When I initially saw the app my concern was it would be rejected because Palm already has a music app but I guess that is not the case.

It makes sense though to reject based on undocumented API, it is undocumented for a reason. I don't think your app will never make it to the App catalog. It is just you will likely have to wait for the undocumented API to be supported by Palm through their SDK.

Have you asked them whether they will eventually support that API and music indexing? If they say they will never than I can understand you being really upset. If it is they will support it and the only thing is that you may have to wait, I don't think thats a big deal. You made a great app, I am sure they want to make sure they have their bases covered. What if there is one little thing in your app due to the undocumented API that causes errors on the phone. Palm will get blame for that since they approved your app.

Based on what I have seen on your current app, I would suggest keep developing. Ideally try to only use supported API and I don't think you will have any issues. I think you are very talented and can make some great apps.

Hope it works out for you and that they come to support the API in question and you can resubmit into the Catalog.
    Wow this is total BS! Use of undoccumented API means this app got shot down by red tape or possibly another app is going to do this soon?? So the hell wat they dont support it, THEY DONT SUPPORT THRID PARTY APPS in the first place. Anywho lets be civil about this with a good plan. Lets have this app on the homebrew app section and watch the downloads and donations fly. Once Palm see the popularity of this app and sees the $$ opportunity of it, it will graduate to their catlog with watever redtape they wanted from first submission.

This case is a perfect example of the need for a better SDK for the dev community. Their underestimating our powers and the stuff we can pull out!!