Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
    I think one of the best features of the current music player is that it has the basic controls still showing while working in other applications. I would like this continued in the new music player.
  2.    #22  
    @thechosenfew88,

I don't know how much I can comment. I think it is acceptable to say that there will be a process by which approved developers will be able to submit apps for the App Catalog.

@wmurch3,

I have thought about lyrics, but I am not sure of the best way to pull the data. Probably the best quick solution would be to have a button that launches a Google search for "artist songname lyrics" in a separate browser window.

When it comes to artist information, I thought about having a button that launches the All Music Guide page for a given artist in a separate browser window. I will have to talk to them to make sure they are OK with this.

- Song ratings is possible for the future.

- I really like your idea about a button to switch an artist/album view. I will see how best to implement this.

- I am going to work with a professional designer on the interface. We will have to figure out the best way to lay out all the features and controls on the limited screen space available.

- As I mentioned above, you will definitely have some kind of editable playlist support.
  3.    #23  
    @milominderbinde,

As mentioned above, I will try to include some basic lyrics and artist info features. I already have a working slider in the app. The slider is very responsive and accurate. I think users will like this a lot.

I am really not interested in modifying the existing app. I am building this completely from scratch. I have seen the code for the stock music player and I don't like how it is written. In fact, the structure is completely different from the currently recommended Prototype based approach.

@craftsman,

Some sort of automated bookmarking will definitely be included. I am going to investigate audio streaming, but any advanced streaming features will probably be in a version 2.

@haaser84,

I will be including a notification control bar similar to the stock app.
    Sounds wonderful! Would graphic equalizing be an appropriate addition?
  5.    #25  
    @celta,

I would LOVE to add an EQ. Heck, even EQ presets would be nice. However, I don't see any way to accomplish this with the current SDK. Hopefully this will be possible in the future.
    How about a 'Crossfade' feature, like Pocket-Tunes had.

It also allowed for the amount of seconds to start the fade.

Thanks!

Rob

PS Funny,today was the first time I had the time to listen to some music and realized how simple the music player was. Just like what originally came with the Treo 650 .. rememeber... Real Player .. ugh!

LOL, keep up the work, it's great to look forward to something that we will want.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

There is a thread or two here about audio streaming and it does work. What annoys me is that when the music app is streaming audio, it shows a slider bar!
  8.    #28  
    Thanks. Yes, it definitely does work. I meant that I will be looking into more advanced streaming related features, but I am focusing on the local playback functionality first.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    Palm needs so much to have someone do a real music player.

For me, I miss Lyrics and the slider bar. If you could just find these well hidden features and make the display look like this:

How big a deal is this?

Look at my avitar.

- Craig
    Craig, that looks awesome. I especially like the ability to view by artist, album etc within the playing screen. Very good design.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haaser84 View Post
    i think one of the best features of the current music player is that it has the basic controls still showing while working in other applications. I would like this continued in the new music player.
    absolutely!
    podcast support

all i want is the position of the place were i left off remembered and maybe an icon showing the unplayed ones

looking good
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Just one more comment from me this morning, please keep the application light so that it is fast (responsive) and easy to use. I hear a lot of us techies wanting lots of features but I would go for version 1 (i.e. key features found on the most popular players first) and add later whilst keeping the speed. Nothing kills like poor performance and I am sure many of us would agree.

Good luck in your efforts and I look forward to seeing it when it is ready.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    audible file sopport with bookmarking
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    Craig, that looks awesome. I especially like the ability to view by artist, album etc within the playing screen. Very good design.
    It is all stolen design from Apple...

...just like the rest of the Pre!

- Craig
  15.    #35  
    That's just a graphic mockup right? You don't actually have it working like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    That's just a graphic mockup right? You don't actually have it working like that?
    No, it was just me playing with Paint. I cut and pasted the slider and buttons from the iPhone.

Palm already has the slider bar done and you can get to it from the SDK to use it as a module. We know that the Lyrics & song info are stored with the song on a Pre because you can put it on your Pre and then transfer to another PC and the Lyrics & Info are all there.

So the Pre has all of this already wired up and stored. It is just hidden away.

So someone thought that users would need a slider for video but not to use the existing slider code for the music player? When they were coding this, including this would have been an extra morning.

But "someone" said that the Pre did not have to be as usable as every other music player made in the past 3 years.

Could it have maybe been the same person who thought that smart phone users don't edit emails, texts, or calendar items? We just use a smart phone to read messages and send a cute note back: Super, Thanks! So no need for a real copy ^C, cut ^X, or paste ^V. And since no user will ever make a mistake, no need for an Undo ^Z or redo ^Y either.

Two words: Duh-umb.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/04/2009 at 11:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I'm sure this is something no one's thought of, but no-blanking between songs would be great. Some songs on CD's or tapes are actually broken into two (e.g. some Yanni songs). That pause as the player ends one song, then starts another, really ruins an experience. It'd be nice if it could go from one song to the next without this pause. Seems like it'd just need to read ahead and buffer a few seconds or so. Is that possible?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    +1 for better podcast support.. (remembering position/etc)
    -mark
    As long as we're stealing ideas from apple...I really like the Genius playlist creator feature. I don't know exactly how it selects the songs it does, but it seems to create a pretty cohesive mix of songs.
    Other than that, I agree with what everybody else keeps saying, slider bar, & especially the remember position of last track and general podcast friendliness. The current Player is very podcast unfriendly... there is definately a market for a great podcast player.
  20.    #40  
    @milominderbinde,
    That was very dumb of them not to include the slider.

I am using the standard Palm slider in my app. I just had to write code for it to update automatically and allow you to scrub through songs. When I get a little further along, I will post a video to show how it works.
Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast