Page 18 of 100 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    The controls are redundant.

The Pre Music app lets you tap anywhere to pause or play, and swipe forward and backward to move between tracks.
    I disagree.

You have to have the buttons there. Some will know to do the swipes or gestures and other will not know or simply prefer the buttons. It is not like you don't have room.

I love the layout and think your spacing is spot on.

- Craig
  2.    #342  
    @Gunz4sale,

Ha Ha. Yep. I was stopped near that intersection when I did a test of the location save feature. It is in Sugar Land.

@Milominderbinder,
    Don't worry. The buttons are definitely staying.
    Ok so I haven't really been following this to much but I assume since you're going only to be releasing this in the paid Palm App Catalogy this will be a app we need to pay for so my question is what is the advantage to this app over the standard Music app.
  4.    #344  
    @dkotoric1,

There are bunch of features in this app that are not available in the stock app. I have listed them several times in this thread. These include custom playlist creation, GPS location based playlists, multiple skins, audio time scrubber, shake to shuffle and various other new features.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    A question to ask would be would Palm even put your app on the catalog? Since it is clearly in direct competition against its own music app. Granted their music app doesnt generate revenue or anything its still a replacement for one of their built in apps. Would that be an issue or no?
  6.    #346  
    I asked them about this during the Early Access Program. I specifically asked them if they would reject apps based on "duplicate functionality" like Apple. They stated that they would not reject apps based on this. They said they would not reject new music players, video apps and messaging apps as specific examples.

There is no guarantee that they will accept my app, but they won't reject it just because they already have a music app. Besides, most users despise the stock app and Palm will get a 30% cut of any sales.

Since I was in the EAP, they let me pre-submit my app through a special marketing program. I sent the presubmission to them this morning, so we'll see what happens.

In the absolute worst case scenario that they reject the app, I will either release it through homebrew or some other method. One way or another, this app will be available to whoever wants it.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Cool, just wanted to make sure if you knew or not whether it would be okay. That is also pretty nice of them that they will accept similar apps to stock apps they have. I agree the current Music Player blows, so I'm glad you and others are working on some innovative versions. Also good to know in case I ever decide to stop being lazy and come up with something. Glad they are not like Apple in rejecting everything remotely similar to their own applications. Go Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    Since I was in the EAP, they let me pre-submit my app through a special marketing program. I sent the presubmission to them this morning, so we'll see what happens.

In the absolute worst case scenario that they reject the app, I will either release it through homebrew or some other method. One way or another, this app will be available to whoever wants it.
    Awesome let us know how it turns out with Palm. I really hope your app makes it to the catalog, it seems like it's a very full featured and well developed app.
    I just hope it gets on there soon because i'm wanting to use this app very much so
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I think the controls up top are fine. They're big enough and well spaced, leave them as they are.

Overall, great work here. Can't wait to use this app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    I disagree.

You have to have the buttons there. Some will know to do the swipes or gestures and other will not know or simply prefer the buttons. It is not like you don't have room.

I love the layout and think your spacing is spot on.

- Craig
    And I disagree. You don't HAVE to have buttons there. Everyone will know how to do swipes and gestures. That's the purpose of this phone. Furthermore, people learn how to use a program, and by experimenting they find the correct methods for making something work.

I for one think less is more. How do people learn to press space bar for pause for many applications? It becomes a sort of standard. I don't think he should get rid of the buttons, but I think it should certainly become a skin or option down the road.

Great work Blubble!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I will be first in line to buy this when it's available. However, I'm not sure why you chose the name Bookmark instead of the standard Playlist. I would prefer to have "Playlist" supersede "Bookmark" and "Bookmark" supersede "Placeholder" but that's just me.

The bookmark name just doesn't really denote a list of songs to me.
  13.    #353  
    I have been debating what to do about the playlist/bookmark term. The problem is that I wanted to support sideloaded playlists as well as the custom ones. However, the two don't work the same way. The playlists sideloaded from your PC are read only and they can't be used in the same way as the custom playlists. For example, you can't add songs to them and you can't use them for the Location Play feature. Only the custom playlists(now called bookmarks) work with those features.

I have thought about simply using the term Playlists for my custom playlists, but that leaves the problem of how to deal with the sideloaded playlists.

Any suggestions folks?
    Weren't you going to call them Metalists or something like that?
    "Bookmarks" do seem like they might apply to individual items. (Especially with the music app patches lately using the term, "Bookmarking") Custom Lists, Songbooks, Playbooks, Set Lists, Mobile Lists... we'd be glad to help coming up with alternative names to differentiate.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    I have been debating what to do about the playlist/bookmark term. The problem is that I wanted to support sideloaded playlists as well as the custom ones. However, the two don't work the same way. The playlists sideloaded from your PC are read only and they can't be used in the same way as the custom playlists. For example, you can't add songs to them and you can't use them for the Location Play feature. Only the custom playlists(now called bookmarks) work with those features.

I have thought about simply using the term Playlists for my custom playlists, but that leaves the problem of how to deal with the sideloaded playlists.

Any suggestions folks?
    Is it possible to instead of trying to use the .m3u or whatever playlist file it is, have your application make a copy of that playlist in your format, that way it is editable, and also make it so the playlists dont appear twice. So something like if I have a few playlists. When i port it over to the pre and use your app, your app creates a new playlist with the exact songs/order and whatever else that since now it is in your format will be editable etc.

Is that possible, if so I think going forward that would be the best option as it would make everything seamless.
    Or i'm assuming Blubble will have one menu item for playlists (aka m3u files) and a separate menu item for bookmarks/metalists. Nevertheless I like the idea of a convertor to resave existing m3u lists into the custom Blubble format (aka blubblelists!). Better yet as I've mentioned in the past the ideal would be for the player to scan the file/folder structure and autogenerate bookmarks/metalists from that.

Because really if this player uses propriatary playlist formats then none of us will bother creating our own m3u lists anymore... Which means what... We need to dump all of our songs onto the Pre and only then do we begin to organize our music?!
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Well I was thinking it would convert m3u's into the format for the app so it is updatable on the Pre. You can still make them on the computer. Why would you? Because usually its easier to make a playlist on a computer than a phone. But at least now you can add that one song you wanted in a playlist to it without having to completely recreate the playlist either on the computer or on the phone.

Since he is already creating a new type of playlist, I think it would be efficient if everything is similar in structure.

So the two things would be like
    Input m3u -> Convert -> Blubble style Playlist
    Create Playlist on Pre - Blubble style Playlist

so either way the playlists are structured the same.
    I agree with Smubeht. The only big problem with doing that would be telling what songs are in the playlist. If the read only playlists still let you copy the names or songs of the songs then it wouldn't be that hard to do. Something that you could do to help this is you have a script that tells NaNplayer to rescan the playlists/songs after ejection. Not sure if thats possible with a nonroot app but it is a possibility.
    Senario:
    You just sideloaded a playlist and you unplug the Pre and open up NaNplayer. NaNplayer now tells you that it has to convert you playlists. You have the option to ether tap OK or cancel.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    What does NaN stand for in NaNPlayer?