Page 17 of 100 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021222767 ... LastLast
  1.    #321  
    @firebrain,

No. It will only support the standard codecs supported by WebOS. I would love to include support for non-DRM WMA, but it just isn't possible at this time.

@Kyusaku,
    Thanks. Regardless of how we go for the first version, we will explore many different layouts and control configurations in future skins.
    I also agree that the play buttons should be on the bottom. Something I was looking forward to the play screen ALLOT was the awesome slideout table. What I was thinking is that you could move the play buttons tot he bottom and then put a menu button/slider on the top. When tapped or slided out, a slideout table would come out (not too big, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the screen size). It would take up almost a third of what an accual button does but still is the same size. This way you can have twice as many features directly from the Now Playing screen. After all the screen that people will be on 90% of the time would be the Now Playing Screen. Therefore, it should be the most functional. By doing this you can also enlarge the artwork to make the screen have even more beauty.
    Something else I also have noticed that is different from the mockups is that you shifted the color sceem to be more dark. The play buttons are almost getting to the point were they blend into the color at the top! If you just change the backgrounds to fade to not as dark color of blue it would look much better in my eyes. What do all you others think?
    Overall, I am really impressed! I love seeing this app develop! Now that you are this close to launch I just can't wait! I've been following this app and have been seeing it mature from a idea to a buggy beta, and then to a almost mature app!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    What if you moved the Title/Artist to above album art moved the scrubber up and put the Rew/Pause/Fwd buttons under the scrubber. Would that work in making the buttons near the bottom but not losing anything really?

OR if you just moved everything up and put the Rew/Pause/Fwd buttons under the scrubber

Was thinking this
    ----- - Track Info
    [ -- ]
    [ -- ] - Album art
    ---O--- - Scrubber
    (< | II | >) - rew/pause/fwd
    [] [] [] [] - bottom buttons

Or

[ -- ]
    [ -- ] - Album art
    ----- - Track Info
    ---O--- - Scrubber
    (< | II | >) - rew/pause/fwd
    [] [] [] [] - bottom buttons
    Last edited by Smubeht; 08/27/2009 at 06:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    The location and bookmarking features are absolutely amazing, beyond my expectations. You've put a lot of work into this and it shows. This app definitely be a blockbuster in the app catalog.

One thing that I notice though is how the Now Playing screen is set up. I would figure the extra features would be at the top rather than the bottom and the playback buttons to be at the bottom with the progress bar.

If you prefer to have it as you already do, then don't listen to me. Either way it'll still have the same functionality.
    Agreed 100%

You use the playback buttons way more so they should be easily accessible.

Otherwise. Looks great!
    Hey Blubble,

The new screens look great and I'm happy to hear that you are focusing on keeping the app fast! Can I get in on the beta testing ? I work in UI design and can definitely offer some solid feedback. But mostly I just want to use your app! I'm reminded just how much I hate the music player every day on my commute. Help me! haha
    already testers? ah got passed up lol
  7.    #327  
    Here is an update with the controls at the bottom. From a comfort standpoint, I still think they work better on top, but we'll see. I am going to let the beta testers try both layouts and see which works better.

Also, the album art and info areas were trimmed a bit.

Last edited by Blubble; 08/28/2009 at 12:35 AM.
    @Blubble Will there be an option to choose if you want the music controls on top or at the bottom?
    The controls are redundant.

The Pre Music app lets you tap anywhere to pause or play, and swipe forward and backward to move between tracks.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    The controls are redundant.

The Pre Music app lets you tap anywhere to pause or play, and swipe forward and backward to move between tracks.
    True. So basically all the buttons that we need are the extra feature buttons.

@Blubble Does this music app have the "tap anywhere for play/pause" and "swipe anywhere for prev/next song"?
  11.    #331  
    @gollyzila,

I am thinking I might have to allow that. However, for the first version I am just going to pick a layout and go with it. I'll add the other option as an alternate skin in an update.

@sivan,

My app already has tap to pause and swipe to switch songs. In fact, it is much better than the stock app's feature in that it is not as easy to accidentally swipe a song. The stock app has pissed me off more than once because it is very easy to accidentally swipe a song. My app also includes a very useful popup songlist menu that makes it easy to navigate large song lists.

Even so, I don't think that the controls are redundant. They are standard interface element and users know them and expect them. Swiping and tapping are not intuitive to all users. Most users like them and it would be a mistake to leave them out. The stock app has them as well. The controls are most definitely staying in my app.
    Last edited by Blubble; 08/28/2009 at 02:28 AM.
  12.    #332  
    Some of you have been asking about the use of the headphone button for pause/play and next song control. I just finished implementing that feature and it is quite useful. Thanks to those that suggested. It will be included in the first release.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Dude...you are another reason I LOVE having a Pre!!!

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    having this app announce location based playlists, and its overall premise to be a complete kickass application, and having ikyo patch the messaging, contact, and sounds and alerts applications to allow ringtones per contact is some of the best news I've seen on here in a while. congrats!! HUGE
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    Here is an update with the controls at the bottom. From a comfort standpoint, I still think they work better on top, but we'll see. I am going to let the beta testers try both layouts and see which works better.

Also, the album art and info areas were trimmed a bit.

Did you see my suggestion. I think with my way even though a notification comes up it won't block rew/pause/fwd.

The other suggestion likely the better solution is I think some apps shrink upon notification(ever so slightly). I think dot game had something like that. which makes it so its never interfered with.
    Some of you have been asking about the use of the headphone button for pause/play and next song control. I just finished implementing that feature and it is quite useful. Thanks to those that suggested. It will be included in the first release.
  17.    #337  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smubeht View Post
    Did you see my suggestion. I think with my way even though a notification comes up it won't block rew/pause/fwd.

The other suggestion likely the better solution is I think some apps shrink upon notification(ever so slightly). I think dot game had something like that. which makes it so its never interfered with.
    I did try your suggestion, but I don't like what happens when you fix the button row to the bottom. This is illustrated in the following screenshot. The same thing happens in the stock app.

Shrinking the entire layout is more difficult since we have the album art and some background graphics.

I've left enough space at the bottom for smaller notifications. Larger ones will just have to cover the screen a bit. I will have beta testers try both versions with the buttons at top and at bottom and we'll see what they like best from the standpoint of comfort and ease of use. I presonally prefer having them up to since it is much more comfortable to use them with my thumb when I am holding the phone. I will show both versions in the video and I think people will see my point.

I am not going to spend much more time now screwing around with graphics. I have other, more important programming issues to finalize before launch.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    I did try your suggestion, but I don't like what happens when you fix the button row to the bottom. This is illustrated in the following screenshot. The same thing happens in the stock app.

Shrinking the entire layout is more difficult since we have the album art and some background graphics.

I've left enough space at the bottom for smaller notifications. Larger ones will just have to cover the screen a bit. I will have beta testers try both versions with the buttons at top and at bottom and we'll see what they like best from the standpoint of comfort and ease of use. I presonally prefer having them up to since it is much more comfortable to use them with my thumb when I am holding the phone. I will show both versions in the video and I think people will see my point.

I am not going to spend much more time now screwing around with graphics. I have other, more important programming issues to finalize before launch.
    I meant that row of buttons you have on top placed on the bottom with the rew/fwd/pause row right above it.

Regardless, either way your app is looking great and the features are excellent. Keep up the good work.

Also, I saw some people who noted that the rew/pause/fwd buttons aren't needed. I agree with that as well, however not all do. Is it possible to make it a preference feature that we can enable/disable?
  19.    #339  
    My mistake. I don't think that putting all the buttons grouped together like that would be the best solution for this skin. Such a tight grouping could make for tap mistakes. I'll take a look at that arrangement for one of the future skins.

Thanks, B
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Blubble are you in Houston? I think 90 meets Dairy Ashford around Sugar Land or out in that area.