Page 14 of 100 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192464 ... LastLast
    Really great to hear that you will be able to implement crossfading. Really been missing that on the Pre.
    This may be a little late for a suggestion, but would it be possible to implement a visualizer screen? I know it could take up a lot of battery, but maybe have it on when it's plugged in or on the Touchstone? That would be a really neat addition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    - A full, very flexible playlist creation and editing system. You can create playlists from lists of songs, albums artists or genres.

- Full bookmarking functionality for saving playlists and saving the exact playback point.

- An innovative system for assigning playlists to saved GPS positions. Once you set up your location, you just press one button from the homepage to get your location and automatically play the playlist assigned to that location.

- Multiple user selectable skins.

- Crossfade play options

- Shake to shuffle during playback and a shake to play a random playlist feature from the main screen.
    At first look at these options the only thing I can say is WOW! Especially the GPS based playlists and the Multiple Skins!! Then I read that these are just a few of the boat load of features it actually will have! I'm starting to think this may have too many features!
    Oh, will the skins be coming with the first release? It would also be very cool if a user could make (or modify) a skin and sideload it to your app. I don't care if it would require rooting to move them to a folder but it would be useful.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    so will ti be possible for playlsits to be like you set multiple parameters and it pulls songs into that automatically.

lets say i want artist XX in the playlist, and am constantly updating my songs with XX, will those songs be automatically added to the playlist of songs with XX.

lets also condsider XX is a feature on a song from YY, and XX is in the title tag, will it also add that song?

lastly, lets say i like XX and ZZ and want that XX playlist with ZZ songs aswell, will it be able to pull songs for ZZ and add it to the XX playlist, and will it alos auto update with new songs?
    Just found out about this and have to say that I absolutely can't wait for this to come out! My biggest disappointment on unboxing day was playing music on this phone--I've pretty much been only listening to Pandora, but that doesn't help on my frequent long drives in the boondocks with no Sprint 3g coverage.

It might be discussed somewhere in the thread, but will future versions allow for some sort of syncing ability beyond iTunes? i.e., will there be some sort of plugin that will allow the Pre to play really nicely with ratings, play counts, etc. for alternative programs like Media Monkey or Songbird?

There are a couple of features missing that I've not yet seen addressed. One of them is ripped straight from my old Creative Zen. It's a feature called "album of the day," which is exactly what it sounds like. I used it constantly.

Another feature I miss from the Zen is the ability to assign a specific function to a button on the phone. Think of the possibilities of doing that with the woefully underused center button on this phone! For example, I set my Zen up so that the button would add whatever song/artist/album I was viewing in the pane to an instant playlist. But you could also set the button to do a bunch of other things, pretty much anything you might want to do frequently with just one push.

A feature that I've really been longing but have never seen in a standalone music player is a two-touch delete. I was able to cobble together a series of hotkeys in XMPlay for my computers that does this. That way, when I download a whole pile of music from some new source (like the 3 gig torrent of files that South x Southwest releases every year), I can quickly cruise through and delete the songs I never want to hear again. If you could make this work with Windows 7 media streams so it actually deleted songs from the server, that would be even more amazing! What I want is a way to slim down my music selection by easily getting rid of the songs I don't like as they get played on my player, and I want those changes to persist over to my server so that I can shrink my unwieldy 60+ gig music collection.

By the way, any plans to implement the great features of PrePod so that I can have all my audio stuff in one place, a la iTunes? Maybe you guys can work together? PrePod is right now my favorite homebrew app but I would love to see it integrated into a larger project.

In lieu of a cash donation and because I miss so many features from the Creative Zen, I'll happily ship you my "old" (paid $250 for it about 1 year now) Zen 32 gig player for you to mess with. After you've gotten your fill of ideas for player functionality from the interface, you could toss it on eBay. Just PM me your snail mail address if you're into that idea.

One last thing--will your player by chance be able to play unprotected WMA files? I have about 20 gigs of those, all nicely tagged with album art, and I really hate to convert them all to mp3 and lose even more quality from the music.

Thanks for developing this--can't wait to see it!

Jason
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Has this app been posted yet? Link?
    Jan Rifkinson
    Ridgefield CT USA
    +1 for audio boost
  8.    #268  
    First, let me say thanks to everyone that has suggested new features. Unfortunately, at this stage of development, I am trying to get the first version completed and will not be adding any new features. However, I will be continuously updating the app with new features and all future updates will be free to anyone that purchases the app.

@PreGk,
    Unfortunately, there is no way to do an audio boost. There is a volume property for the palm audio object, but I am playing it at 100% by default.

@dcoaster,
    A visualizer is not a feature that I am planning on introducing for the time being. I don't think it would even be possible using the current SDK.

@Rennat,
    For the first version, the skins will come preloaded in the app. However, I am planning on implementing an option for user configurable skins. I don't think you would have to root the Pre to make this work. Users could just copy their skin graphics and css files over to the Pre from their PC. This feature will be included in a free future update.

@shaffaaf27,
    At the moment, the customizable playlists will be static. You can create a playlist from a list of songs, albums, artists or genres. Once a playlist is created, you can add songs to it from the song lists interfaces or from the now playing screen. Your ideas for dynamic playlists are interesting though. I will explore them for a future upgrade.

@yacht_boy,
    Your album of the day idea is also interesting. I will consider something like this for a future update.

While mapping to the Pre's center button is not possible with the SDK, I am including keyboard controls. One of those key shortcuts will allow you to add a currently playing song to an existing playlist. There is also an icon on the now playing screen that lets you do that. The first version will not have the ability to delete music files from the phone. Palm has not opened the File I/O API to developers yet. As soon as they make this officially available, I will include song delete. Your other suggestions such as iTunes and server sync are currently not planned for inclusion.

@janrif,
    The app is not yet available. I will be submitting it to Palm for inclusion in the App Catalog. Hopefully, they will accept it and make it available next month.
    Unfortunately, at this stage of development, I am trying to get the first version completed and will not be adding any new features. However, I will be continuously updating the app with new features and all future updates will be free to anyone that purchases the app.
    No, we want it all and we want it RIGHT NOW! Obviously, we don't expect everything and we don't expect it immediately--I for one am just gratified that this project exists and that it v1.0 coming soon. I can wait for further refinements incrementally, as long as they get here eventually.

@yacht_boy,
    Your album of the day idea is also interesting. I will consider something like this for a future update.
    W00t!

@yacht_boy,

While mapping to the Pre's center button is not possible with the SDK, I am including keyboard controls. One of those key shortcuts will allow you to add a currently playing song to an existing playlist. There is also an icon on the now playing screen that lets you do that. The first version will not have the ability to delete music files from the phone. Palm has not opened the File I/O API to developers yet. As soon as they make this officially available, I will include song delete. Your other suggestions such as iTunes and server sync are currently not planned for inclusion.
    Great news about shortcuts--thanks! And as far as two-touch delete goes, I've been waiting forever and a day already, so can wait a bit longer. I can live without server sync for now. I'm sure a solution to music syncing will soon develop at the rate applications are popping up.

Thanks again for the app and for keeping us all updated on your progress. Looking forward to seeing that next video screencast!

Jason
    Last edited by yacht_boy; 08/24/2009 at 03:07 PM.
    thank you for reading my suggestion and replying to it. hopefully when the palm pre htis the UK, the app store will be up and the first app i will buy will be this one.
    Perhaps I may make a few suggestions?

I have some problems with the Music app that is currently no the Pre (that immediately come to mind):

When I go into an album that I have of an artist, there isn't an option to select all - there is only the option to shuffle all. I want to go to a specific song in the group of songs and I know the order. When driving and have my Pre hooked up to my car speakers, I don't want to keep going through a bunch of songs until I find the one that I want.

Also, again within an album, I want to select a few songs of the album, not the whole thing.

However, I do like the fact that I don't have to look at the phone to switch tracks - being able to simply flick my fingers across the screen is a nice feature.

Sorry if these suggestions have been said already. Just thought I'd help .
    Last edited by andddlay; 08/24/2009 at 12:12 PM.
  12.    #272  
    @andddlay,

Your two issues are already addressed by my app. When you view an album by an artist, you can simply press the "Play List" button and it will play all the songs in the album in order.

If you don't want to play some of the songs, you can simply swipe away those you don't want. You can also drag and drop to reorder the songs if you want to play them in some specific order. Then you just hit Play List and it will play the album as you have specified.

My app also has the swipe to next or previous song in the now playing view. I have improved that feature by requiring a minimum swipe velocity to switch the song. I found that it was too easy to accidentally swipe songs with the stock app. This was a real pain when I was running. It is still easy to swipe to the next song, but it shouldn't happen accidentally.
    @andddlay,

Your two issues are already addressed by my app. When you view an album by an artist, you can simply press the "Play List" button and it will play all the songs in the album in order.

If you don't want to play some of the songs, you can simply swipe away those you don't want. You can also drag and drop to reorder the songs if you want to play them in some specific order. Then you just hit Play List and it will play the album as you have specified.

My app also has the swipe to next or previous song in the now playing view. I have improved that feature by requiring a minimum swipe velocity to switch the song. I found that it was too easy to accidentally swipe songs with the stock app. This was a real pain when I was running. It is still easy to swipe to the next song, but it shouldn't happen accidentally.
    Sounds amazing. Thank you! Sorry for the repeated suggestions.
    Last edited by andddlay; 08/24/2009 at 12:27 PM.
  14.    #274  
    Not problem at all. I appreciate the feedback.
    I've been looking every day in the homebrew apps, since i saw you working on this, hoping it would be posted. I'm happy to hear that you'll be submitting this to the palm app catalog so the entire pre community will have access to it, not just people that load homebrews. I'm more then happy to pay 5$ for this app, and even donate more, if you have a way of collecting donations.

I've had the palm pre since launch. One of the major reasons I got it was so I could listen to podcasts and audiobooks over bluetooth while running. Both of those things I've been unable to do with the stock music app. The day I'm able to buy your app, is the day my pre turns from a phone, into the only portable device I need to carry.

I thank you for this.
    any interest in adding streaming/shares support? I'm working on figuring out how a ssh tunnel to a mtdaapd server/itunes might work.
    Blubble: a shake to shuffle option would be cool.

Just shake your phone and it get to a random song...of course this has to be enabled/disabled in a settings menu seeing as some people might be running with there phone and what not.
    Hey Blubble,

I think the app looks great and appears to be a huge step forward from the stock app. Like the other folks on here seem to be, I've been pretty disappointed in the music player's capabilities and overall functionality. But most of all, I've been frustrated by the speed of the player. I'm definitely not an iphone fanboy, but the iPhone's ipod was quick and snappy, even on the 1st generation device. Is the experience of your app more akin to the iphone's or is it more like the experience on the stock music player? If it's slightly laggy and that's just a shortcoming of WebOS, that's fine. But I really do believe the Pre can match the experience on a 1st gen iphone, given the hardware specs...

-Mike
    Last edited by MikeMike017; 08/24/2009 at 11:56 PM.
  19.    #279  
    @brienzee,
    Thanks for your offer, but there is no need for donations.

@wturnerharris,
    I am focusing on local playback for this version, but will be including full streaming capabilities in a subsequent version.

@dhMassacre
    I have already included a shake to shuffle feature which works when you are in the now playing screen. I am finalizing a shake to play feature for the main screen. It will play a random playlist when you shake your phone. Both features will have on/off settings. I am working on determining the best shake sensitivity. I may end up making that a user selectable setting as well.
  20.    #280  
    @MikeMike017,
    Responsiveness is one of the things I am trying to improve. It bugs me that it takes the stock app so long to start up. Mine starts up a lot faster. It can still take a second or two to load the list screens if you have tons of music, but in general it is snappier.

I am also trying to fix the big gap when switching songs. The problem is that the Palm API for audio is just slow to load songs. I am working on a preloading mechanism for the next song. So far, it has worked well to eliminate the gap in most cases. This preloading goes hand in hand with the crossfading feature. I hope to have this ready for the first release, but it may be a 1.1 feature. We'll see how the testing goes between now and the time the app is released.