Page 10 of 100 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast
  1.    #181  
    The designer has given me some new conceptual comps. They are still a work in progress and need to be adapted somewhat to fit the WebOS standards, but I like the direction. They are also missing some buttons and need some layout changes to fit the app's needs.

Main Scene
    This is OK. I am not wild about the slogan at the top, but that is minor. It is also missing some buttons such as Bookmarks, Songs and Now Playing. It also some has some buttons that shouldn't be there like favorites and most played. There is some wasted space, but it helps with flexibility when it comes to resizing when notifications are displayed.

Artist List Scene
    I like the general look here. There are some buttons missing such as Play List, Save List and Now Playing. Also, we won't be able to do a nice background like the selected Nelly Furtado row. I do like the row backgrounds and the dividers.

Now Playing Scene
    This is looking pretty good. Obviously, the album art will need to be perfectly square, but that's not a big deal. It is missing a lot of buttons such as Prev, Next, Save List, Add to List, etc. I've been thinking of adding some of those controls to a hidden slide out panel. Is it worth the extra click to keep the design clean? You would still have swipe prev/next, pause/play, slider and the popup song list menu I showed yesterday.

Here's your chance to speak up folks. Tell me what you like and don't like. I want to make this the app that the users want. There is still a lot of work to be done, but it's getting there.
    Last edited by Blubble; 08/04/2009 at 12:24 PM.
    love it man... finally an app being built that wont be blah grey with grey buttons and grey menus.... i like the idea of a slide out menu, since u really wont need it with slide to go to new song and the scrubber at the bottom.

for those who have a large collection it would be nice if there was a slide out or something that brought up the alphabet so you could skip to areas of your artist list faster.

i agree with you, the main menu screen needs to lose the slogan and move things up so when notifications come it wont be a problem.

is it possible to integrate a videos button so you can search your videos and launch them from this app as well, just to make it an all in one?
    Wow, that is stunning, I hope having such a great design won't affect performance. If you know how to make a slide out panel I have no problem with having that. Also long as the panel is responsive.

Will the Now Playing scene have the next or previous cover visible in the corner? Or will there be some sort of transition effect when it changes songs?

Artist List Scene looks pretty nice, will this reflect also how your search scenes might look or will it be different? I would like to see some sort of quick add button to each entry, unless you plan on doing things differently. Maybe have the button on the left side of the cover art.

The Main Scene isn't the best, can definitely cut out slogan, if you're keeping the logo suggest on the top maybe. It's a bit basic but it's something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    Thanks. A new video will be out soon. A limited beta(alpha really) will be out in a week or two, but it won't be public. Eventually, I'd like to sell the app in the App Catalog. The price should be only a few dollars.

Blubble I must say this is a great achievement and undertaking.. This looks Awesome and I'd be one to plunk down some $ for your efforts. upon release
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    awesome design. I too would love to see the slide out controls. In a song/artist/album list, can you put some type of alphabetical scroll bar, similar to the iPhone/iPod? I know we can just slide out the keyboard and type the first letter, but this will be for the people that need music on the go
    I never knew how much I used playlists till I got my pre. Your doing great things can't wait.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    The designer has given me some new conceptual comps. They are still a work in progress and need to be adapted somewhat to fit the WebOS standards, but I like the direction. They are also missing some buttons and need some layout changes to fit the app's needs.

Main Scene
    This is OK. I am not wild about the slogan at the top, but that is minor. It is also missing some buttons such as Bookmarks, Songs and Now Playing. It also some has some buttons that shouldn't be there like favorites and most played. There is some wasted space, but it helps with flexibility when it comes to resizing when notifications are displayed.

Artist List Scene
    I like the general look here. There are some buttons missing such as Play List, Save List and Now Playing. Also, we won't be able to do a nice background like the selected Nelly Furtado row. I do like the row backgrounds and the dividers.

Now Playing Scene
    This is looking pretty good. Obviously, the album art will need to be perfectly square, but that's not a big deal. It is missing a lot of buttons such as Prev, Next, Save List, Add to List, etc. I've been thinking of adding some of those controls to a hidden slide out panel. Is it worth the extra click to keep the design clean? You would still have swipe prev/next, pause/play, slider and the popup song list menu I showed yesterday.

Here's your chance to speak up folks. Tell me what you like and don't like. I want to make this the app that the users want. There is still a lot of work to be done, but it's getting there.
    Not sure I like the icon's you've chosen to use for the favorite’s menu, artist menu or album. Not that I’m complaining, just put’in in my 2 cent’s. I would remove that slogan and keep one out period. I would tend to think it would look more professional that way.

If I could make a suggestion, the artist icon should possibly be a silhouette of an artist or of an artist that in front of a mic. or something… or maybe just creative text, for the album icon if possible a animated gif of sorts that cycles through your album art and for favorites icon your logo with a plus sign next to it.

The background blue is to plain... everything else looks great but simple at the same time. Thank you for a scrub lord knows this is greatly needed.

I would have the blue background of the now playing screen take up the entire screen real-estate and not have that blue background behind it. Other wise this looks like a promising app.

(edit...) Lastly, if possible, add a scroll on the side like the apples version. I know everyone here hates or is bias towards apple and the iphone, but if it looks good, it looks good. I do like there method of getting to songs quickly by simply pressing the letter on the side of the music list and getting to the X's or the B's with out any fuss.
    Hope to see this soon!!!

Last edited by SHO_ONE; 08/04/2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: another possible feature
    I'm really diggin the new design and color scheme. The blue tones just look good.
  9.    #189  
    Thanks for the feedback to everyone. Just to be clear, this is the designer's second version. There are a lot of specifics I want to change, but I like the general look.

I am not too wild about the main screen. I like the treatment of the buttons, and the bottom part, but the logo he used is not the actual logo. He just made that up as a placeholder. That slogan at the top has got to go. It wastes space and just generally looks weird. I will be sitting down with him to pick the icons for the buttons. I want a really uniform theme for all the icons. We'll have to decide what that will be. The idea of a silhouette is intriguing. The idea of an animated gif of album art sounds cool, but it would cause a delay in loading the app's main scene as it would have to load the album art and generate the animation. That is probably a deal killer for that.

I really like the Artist list layout. It looks better than I expected. I will explore the possibility of adding an alphabet control on the left. It sounds like a good idea, but I want it to have a unique look.

I like the Now Playing scene, but it just feels like it's missing something. I will ask the designer to make a version with more buttons on it and a version that will accommodate a slide out panel.

The gray background is not part of the design. The blue backgrounds cover the full screen when the player is active. He just put them on a gray background when he did the comps.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Cover flow?? =)
  11.    #191  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunz4sale View Post
    Cover flow?? =)
    Nope. I don't feel like being harassed or sued by Apple since they have it patented. Besides, it's neat, but I never thought of it as much more than a gimmick.

Also, I think it would be slow. I've seen some javascript cover flow scripts and they are all kind of clunky even on a PC. They would probably choke the hell out of a Pre. That sort of thing is best done in compiled code.
    This is beautiful. For the main screen, you might consider a list view instead of buttons, similar to the way Palm's player has a list. That would maintain more UI uniformity.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I think the now playing scene should be simple and feature the album art. I like the idea of slide out controls. One of the things I hate about the pre's player at least aesthetically is the jumbled artwork on either side. It looks cluttered. I like simple the best with album art featured prominently. What happens in your player when you touch the album?
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    The 2nd and 3rd screen look great! Are you sure the Nelly Furtado background won't be possible with css or something?

The 1st screen needs some work. The icons and icon outlines are a little dull. Also, is the font glow even possible?
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback to everyone. Just to be clear, this is the designer's second version. There are a lot of specifics I want to change, but I like the general look.

I am not too wild about the main screen. I like the treatment of the buttons, and the bottom part, but the logo he used is not the actual logo. He just made that up as a placeholder. That slogan at the top has got to go. It wastes space and just generally looks weird. I will be sitting down with him to pick the icons for the buttons. I want a really uniform theme for all the icons. We'll have to decide what that will be. The idea of a silhouette is intriguing. The idea of an animated gif of album art sounds cool, but it would cause a delay in loading the app's main scene as it would have to load the album art and generate the animation. That is probably a deal killer for that.

I really like the Artist list layout. It looks better than I expected. I will explore the possibility of adding an alphabet control on the left. It sounds like a good idea, but I want it to have a unique look.

I like the Now Playing scene, but it just feels like it's missing something. I will ask the designer to make a version with more buttons on it and a version that will accommodate a slide out panel.

The gray background is not part of the design. The blue backgrounds cover the full screen when the player is active. He just put them on a gray background when he did the comps.
    I don't understand why animated album art that changes every 30 sec's or so would kill anything.... the iphone does it... ipod's have been doing it. I'm no designer, I do want to learn, but that's the extent of my knowledge... but thanks for taking my idea's into consideration.

I will say this. I love the play list screen.. how the artist album art or what ever that is of Nelly is in the background. It almost looks like when selected, the album art is the buttons acknowledgment animation of sorts... very nice either way.
    Last edited by SHO_ONE; 08/04/2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: additional comment....
  16.    #196  
    @jbg7474,

Thanks. As it happens, I was talking to the designer about using a look similar to the artist view for the home page. I am not wild about the home page design at all.

@atom00,
    When you swipe the artwork, it switches songs. However, I put a swipe velocity threshold on it so it doesn't change songs by accident like the stock app. That annoys the hell out of me, especially when I am running.

@bruba,
    As I mentioned above, I am having the designer explore a main scene look that is similar to the artist view. I don't like his design for the main screen very much either. Also, the icons are going to all be changed and have a uniform look.

It would pretty easy to do album art as a background in the selected row, but it since album art varies so much, it might not always look as good as the Nelly Furtado example. Another thing I've noticed is that large embedded album art images really slow down rendering of lists a lot. I am looking at ways to render this, but I'd hate to sacrifice responsiveness for better looking album art.
  17.    #197  
    @SHO_ONE,

If it is a slow animation like every 30 seconds, it would be more manageable. It might be something to explore, but in general, I have found that loading album art is kind of slow using the SDK. I am exploring ways to improve the loading speeds.

I also like the look of the album art background. Still, I am not sure how practical it would be since we never know what album art, if any, a user will have for their songs. It might not look as good as the Nelly example. Also, once the user clicks on the artist, the app immediately changes scenes, so it would only be up for a split second. However, I really like the look, so I will try to use it somehow in the app.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    @jbg7474,

Thanks. As it happens, I was talking to the designer about using a look similar to the artist view for the home page. I am not wild about the home page design at all.

@atom00,
    When you swipe the artwork, it switches songs. However, I put a swipe velocity threshold on it so it doesn't change songs by accident like the stock app. That annoys the hell out of me, especially when I am running.

@bruba,
    As I mentioned above, I am having the designer explore a main scene look that is similar to the artist view. I don't like his design for the main screen very much either. Also, the icons are going to all be changed and have a uniform look.

It would pretty easy to do album art as a background in the selected row, but it since album art varies so much, it might not always look as good as the Nelly Furtado example. Another thing I've noticed is that large embedded album art images really slow down rendering of lists a lot. I am looking at ways to render this, but I'd hate to sacrifice responsiveness for better looking album art.
    Agreed... I too do not like the stock app's lack of ability. The single most annoying feature / or lack there of... is the album art swipe changes the song... seriously why was this thought to be a good idea. I honestly like almost nothing about the stock music app. I am seriously awaiting your app, once an ipk is available if you would please PM me. I would love to be chosen to beta test this and donate.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    @blubble - your rationalizations of your application design choices for this app are SPOT ON. Keep it up, and thank you for sharing this with us.

I don't have any specific feedback as to the look of the skins, but I'm glad to hear you are giving top priority to functionality and performance as well as avoiding all the design flaws of the current music player.

I suppose I'd prefer having on screen controls for most functions at all times, but keyboard mapping and a slide out for other controls would be just fine. I just want to be able to easily play/pause, skip forward/back a track or in 30/15 second increments without going through a menu as I'm going to use those controls dozens of times each day.
    Want to read new posts on PreCentral without the off-topic garbage? Bookmark this link here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/search....tnew&exclude=6 or here for the mobile forums (orange button plus click the link to copy the URL):
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/searc...tnew&exclude=6
    @bubble... since your wanting something more unique for an alphabet to scroll to certain artist, how bout a circular wedge shape in one of the corners that slides out when you press that are and its rolls through the alphabet like a spinning wheel... think wheel of fortune with alphabet instead of dollars and only visible when you tap a corner for it to slide out...