Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Greetings, fellow Preeps.

Last night I was able to get the Hamachi VPN working on a rooted Pre. This definitely requires root access for installation and configuration.

Hamachi is a "zero configuration" VPN (Virtual Private Network). It was a standalone product up until a couple years ago when it was purchased by LogMeIn, Inc. It comes in free and licensed versions. The free version is completely usable for (I think) up to 16 nodes: excellent for personal use.

I should note I have nothing to do with Hamachi as a product or the LogMeIn corporation. I just think Hamachi is a dead easy VPN.

Here's the product page: LogMeIn Hamachi
    And here's the Wikipedia page: Hamachi on Wikipedia

Gamers originally found great utility in Hamachi because it let them set up a secure, virtual network for LAN gaming with very little configuration. I discovered it several years ago, and have been using it to give myself access to my home machines (both Windows and Linux) from anywhere. It also runs on Macs.

Please check out my Pre install notes here: pre dev wiki: hamachiVPN

Please help out me and the community by verifying my instructions. Feedback welcome!
    Last edited by lars47; 07/21/2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Updated wiki url as wiki has been moved to MediaWiki.
    cool, thanks man
    hey lars47...hows the hamachi been? has it been a heavy drain on your battery or not really? does it stay running when your phone goes into standby? (in the instructions on the wiki u werent sure yet)..

overall is it worthwhile to install hamachi on the pre if ur a hamachi user?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by a2thejay23 View Post
    hey lars47...hows the hamachi been? has it been a heavy drain on your battery or not really? does it stay running when your phone goes into standby? (the author of the instructions in the wiki wasnt sure)..

overall is it worthwhile to install hamachi on the pre if ur a hamachi user?
    I'm wondering the same thing..

-mark
    Wow. Great job!

Thanks for that. I use Hamachi all the time for LAN games. It works perfectly. Now all we need are some network based multiplayer games for the Pre. Anyone in HomeBrew willing to try with their game?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    @SirataXero: You're welcome!

I haven't been running it since I first installed it. I installed it more as an exercise to see if it would work. At some point I'll probably put it through some more paces, but it's not high on my list, sorry.

As for whether it's "worthwhile", that has to be your own decision. Do you need the functionality that hamachi provides?

Why not try it and see if it causes excessive battery drain? I'd be happy to amend the wiki with whatever you discover, or you can also edit the wiki.

If you're curious as to whether it will stay connected while the phone goes to sleep, you could turn off wifi and let it sit for a while. With a computer on the same hamachi network, you can right-click the pre and try pinging it once in a while. If it responds, you have your answer.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Been using Hamachi for years. Not sure what I would do with it atm with it on the pre though.

I use Hamachi in conjunction with VNC on my home computers.
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    Been using Hamachi for years. Not sure what I would do with it atm with it on the pre though.

I use Hamachi in conjunction with VNC on my home computers.
    well i was thinkin it could be an easy way to evdo into a rooted pre instead of going through wifi (some places i go dont have wifi)

but im not even sure if that would work...

i would try it, but my knowledge in linux is not too great, i can install stuff and understand things quick...but i wouldnt know how to uninstall hamachi/deactivate it if it did end up being a battery drain..
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by a2thejay23 View Post
    well i was thinkin it could be an easy way to evdo into a rooted pre instead of going through wifi (some places i go dont have wifi)

but im not even sure if that would work...

i would try it, but my knowledge in linux is not too great, i can install stuff and understand things quick...but i wouldnt know how to uninstall hamachi/deactivate it if it did end up being a battery drain..
    Yea I won't install it yet just to have it, however much I love using it.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Someone needs to make a gui app for this and no rooting required.
    Hi

Has anyone succeeded in getting Hamachi VPN working on O2 in the UK? I get this response when I attempt login on my Pre -

root@palm-webos-device:/opt/share/hamachi-n770-0.9.9.9-20# hamachi login
    hamachi login
    Logging in ....... failed

Ashley
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Same I think it might have something to do with an update. Now hamachi start does not work either you need to add the /opt/sbin/ in front so "/opt/sbin/hamachi start". But login still fails it might have to do with the firewall but I have yet to find a solution.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Someone needs to make a gui app for this and no rooting required.
    It's very hard to setup system level services through webOS apps. Hopefully the PDK will make it easier, but I'm not too optimistic. If there is a demand for this, I may add it to xorg tools, which is menu driven, but in a terminal. It will eventually be released on Preware (using Terminal app) but it's still in development. See link below.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashley_m View Post
    Hi

Has anyone succeeded in getting Hamachi VPN working on O2 in the UK? I get this response when I attempt login on my Pre -

root@palm-webos-device:/opt/share/hamachi-n770-0.9.9.9-20# hamachi login
    hamachi login
    Logging in ....... failed

Ashley
    Had the same problem a while back (when I had the other post) it seemed to be an issue on the logmein side. Did the tutorial this week and logged in and worked perfectly. If you want to give it another shot im sure it will work now.
    I know this thread has been stale for a little while, but is there any possible chance of having an app that enables/disabled hamachi? Instead of having to run the script every time?
    Sprint Love