Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66
  1. #21  
    thanks this is great
  2. #22  
    so i tail -f /var/log/messages and find these few errors after launching the app:

    2009-07-04T14:22:34.312774Z [1879] castle user.err LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgrJS} =========> looking for palmInitFramework175_7, file:///var/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.news11-1/index.html:0
    2009-07-04T14:22:34.314636Z [1879] castle user.err LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgrJS} =========> Calling palmInitFramework175_7, file:///var/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.news11-1/index.html:0

    2009-07-04T14:23:27.358489Z [1932] castle user.err LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgrJS} Error: Transaction Failure (code 4): there was not enough remaining storage space, or the storage quota was reached and the user declined to allow more space, file:///var/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.news11-1/index.html:0

    When I look at my disk usage, the only thing that scares me is that the root is almost full. Everywhere else is looking good. so where is the saved data stored?

    me@castle:/var/log$ df -k
    Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 452296 376804 75492 83% /
    /dev/root 31728 11368 20360 36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    452296 376804 75492 83% /
    df: /dev/.static/dev: Permission denied
    tmpfs 2048 152 1896 7% /dev
    tmpfs 65536 184 65352 0% /tmp
    tmpfs 122516 0 122516 0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    253920 111132 142788 44% /opt
    /dev/mapper/store-media
    7011456 2880 7008576 0% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    253920 111132 142788 44% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
    39664 4608 35056 12% /var/log
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    I lost my lunch when I looked at feeds.jsjsjs $and$ $saw$ $all$ $the$ $LIEberal$ $propaganda$ $sites$ $listed$. $If$ $this$ $represents$ $Palm$ $employees$, $maybe$ $I$ $will$ $return$ $my$ $Pre$ $after$ $all$...
    hahah! Are you serious?!
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    I lost my lunch when I looked at feeds.jsjsjs $and$ $saw$ $all$ $the$ $LIEberal$ $propaganda$ $sites$ $listed$. $If$ $this$ $represents$ $Palm$ $employees$, $maybe$ $I$ $will$ $return$ $my$ $Pre$ $after$ $all$...
    But the #1 is missing, FOX NEWS!
  5. sidamos's Avatar
    Posts
    614 Posts
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    #25  
    I got the RSS app installed on the emulator and it worked fine. Then I added a feed and this worked also.

    But after that, I cannot start the app anymore. It loads, then it shows some notifications about new entries and then freezes. Even the menu does not work anymore.

    Deleting and reinstalling did not help. I guess, the config of the app is now messed up.

    But how does one delete configs on webOS? In the old PalmOS, deleting an app deleted everything, AFAIR.
  6. #26  
    I don't know if I'm the only one in this case, but I happen to be stuck on page 70, when adding the feedList : apparently the problem comes from
    feedError = ProcessFeed(transport, curFeedIndex);
    Or at least, that's what I assumed since pushing a scene right before this line works, and pushing it right after just leaves me with the sdk generated text "find me in views..." from feedList-scene.html
    Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong ? Or how I could use ssh on the emulator (on a Mac) since I can't seem to get that working either ...

    Thanks a lot :-D
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by jessyjones View Post
    I don't know if I'm the only one in this case, but I happen to be stuck on page 70, when adding the feedList : apparently the problem comes from

    Or at least, that's what I assumed since pushing a scene right before this line works, and pushing it right after just leaves me with the sdk generated text "find me in views..." from feedList-scene.html
    Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong ? Or how I could use ssh on the emulator (on a Mac) since I can't seem to get that working either ...

    Thanks a lot :-D

    you need the most recent version of the book (that has the full source at the end) because the chapter does not include the source for the processFeed function. Just cut/paste that function into the feedList-assistant.jsjsjs $to$ $solve$ $the$ $problem$.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by rawdeadfish View Post
    you need the most recent version of the book (that has the full source at the end) because the chapter does not include the source for the processFeed function. Just cut/paste that function into the feedList-assistant.jsjsjs $to$ $solve$ $the$ $problem$.
    I tried that but it really won't work ... I added a Mojo.log at the top of the function, but apparently it doesn't even reach that part ... There's gotta be something I'm missing ... Is someting like "FeedListAssistant.prototype.processFeed = function(transport,index)", followed by the code from Appendix A okay ?

    Thanks in advance :-)
  9. cdez's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcticus View Post
    I have updated the app so the styling looks pretty The only outstanding issue I am aware of is the missing icons.

    I will also post what files I had to change and what I changed to make the app work as I cannot directly post the source.

    Finally, if someone who can post files please grab it from my server above and post it here to the forum since the url is ugly as posted.

    Thanks!

    Where can we get a copy of the correct source code. I would like to check it against the code from the book, to see why my app isn't displaying anything?
  10.    #30  
    I cannot post the source since the book is copyrighted. However, I am working on an app that is based off of that source and I will post that code. Also if you PM me a section of code you have in question or a file you would like to check. I will see what I can do for you.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by jessyjones View Post
    I tried that but it really won't work ... I added a Mojo.log at the top of the function, but apparently it doesn't even reach that part ... There's gotta be something I'm missing ... Is someting like "FeedListAssistant.prototype.processFeed = function(transport,index)", followed by the code from Appendix A okay ?

    Thanks in advance :-)
    PM me and I will reply with my cleaned processFeed function. I would PM you but I don't have 15 posts yet
  12. #32  
    Neither do I ^^
    But I just updated my profile and put my e-mail adress as my Treo model (not the smartest thing to do, I know, but I really really want to solve this !)
    Could you please email it to me ? Also, sorry everyone to the almost pm-like conversation going on here
  13. #33  
    the ipk file was posted earlier in this thread. if you install it on your phone or on the enulator, you will then have access to the full source. or, if you can find a windows port of the linux "ar" command (i have a tool installed on my computer called MKS Toolkit, that is a slew of unix commands and functions ported to windows), you can unpack the file and access the source in data.tar.gz using winzip.
  14. BryanRoth's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    #34  
    Yeah, I haven't been able to get the same results regarding the News app. I guess that's why they call it a 'rough cuts' version.
  15. #35  
    Hi everyone,

    I started the process for developing for the pre a few days ago and have been following along with the o'riley book creating the News Reader application. However, like a lot of people, I seem to be having trouble getting past section 3.4 on lists, as it appears my news reader won't process the feeds. So I have two questions:

    How did some of you get past the ProcessFeed() problem? I tried to steal the function from the appendix, and paste it in the appropriate assistant, but no luck so far. What was your intermediate solution?

    Second I feel I could get around this problem myself if I was able to properly debug the program or at least create console messages that I could use to monitor the progress of the application. Can you tell me if I'm doing something wrong and what I need to do to correct it.

    - appinfo.json has "loglevel": "99"
    - Mojo.Log.info ("Code made it to here"); has been placed in the setup function of the feedlist assistant. (Which should be the first thing called after the stage assistant and I can see that feedList-scene does load)
    - I have ssh'd into the emulator and am monitoring /var/log/messages
    - All of my work has been done in the emulator.


    Thanks for any help!
    Jack
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackPowell View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I started the process for developing for the pre a few days ago and have been following along with the o'riley book creating the News Reader application. However, like a lot of people, I seem to be having trouble getting past section 3.4 on lists, as it appears my news reader won't process the feeds. So I have two questions:

    How did some of you get past the ProcessFeed() problem? I tried to steal the function from the appendix, and paste it in the appropriate assistant, but no luck so far. What was your intermediate solution?

    Second I feel I could get around this problem myself if I was able to properly debug the program or at least create console messages that I could use to monitor the progress of the application. Can you tell me if I'm doing something wrong and what I need to do to correct it.

    - appinfo.json has "loglevel": "99"
    - Mojo.Log.info ("Code made it to here"); has been placed in the setup function of the feedlist assistant. (Which should be the first thing called after the stage assistant and I can see that feedList-scene does load)
    - I have ssh'd into the emulator and am monitoring /var/log/messages
    - All of my work has been done in the emulator.


    Thanks for any help!
    Jack
    If you use Mojo.Log.error("Code made it here") it will always be displayed, regardless if your running in debug mode.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by jessyjones View Post
    I tried that but it really won't work ... I added a Mojo.log at the top of the function, but apparently it doesn't even reach that part ... There's gotta be something I'm missing ... Is someting like "FeedListAssistant.prototype.processFeed = function(transport,index)", followed by the code from Appendix A okay ?

    Thanks in advance :-)

    I spent some time tonight and have this working.

    I know its not the best solution because thats what the code from the book is trying to do. I'm trying to keep it simple and follow the patterns they've already talked about.

    1. copy the processFeed method from the code from the book (you can get it on safari online, appendix A
    2. add it to the bottom of feedList-assistant.jsjsjs
    3. Change the definition to:
      FeedListAssistant.prototype.processFeed = function(transport, index) {
    4. change the comma at the end to a semicolon
    5. add the following to stage-assistant
      var unReadFormatting = "unReadStyle"; // Prepended to story titles when unread
      var errorNone = "0"; // No error, success
      var invalidFeedError = "1"; // Not RSS2, RDF (RSS1), or ATOM
      var unreadStory = "unReadStyle";
    6. change any references to News.unreadStory to just unreadStory, same for any of the other globals
    7. change this.feedlist references to feedList (notice the capital L)
    8. change the invocation to
      feedError = this.processFeed(transport, curFeedIndex);



    hopefully i didn't forget anything .. i didn't have this under git so i can't go back and check all the changes.. i also had to fix a bunch of other stuff just to get to that point.. like pushing feedList instead of storyList.. etc..

    good luck
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Man, that url is a disaster.

    I attached it to my post.
    Cool, but do you have the actual project files?
  19. mokei's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #39  
    This .ipk works great for me also, except for the feed images, which someone pointed out previously.
  20. mokei's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #40  
    Thanks sevensoft, i looked around for the ProcessFeed in the Appendix of the unpublished book... haha. I really appreciate you taking time to write down those notes, as I hit a wall on a page in the 70's.

    I did see a comment about Mojo.log, anyone know the full syntax (does it support info, warn, and error type levels)?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions