Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried the Random Wallpaper Switching from the pre dev wiki? If so, how do u change path? also how would u rate the difficulty level on this?
    I have done it its really easy on a 1-5 scale probably 1.5
    Gee. We need this in a downloadable ipk for the .03.

Echo.
    You guys are eventually gonna have to update to the latest version of webos sooner or later anyway. All new versions will have the email hole plugged, as a dev I don't see a point in packaging apps for the email hole since its plugged, so if people want to customize their pre through unofficial channels, these people should suck it up and root their pre.
    ^^agreed
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    I tried doing this but it doesn't switch wallpapers automatically. The only time it switches is when i enter "sudo /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh" when i'm SSH into my Pre. any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    I tried doing this but it doesn't switch wallpapers automatically. The only time it switches is when i enter "sudo /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh" when i'm SSH into my Pre. any suggestions?
    Did you set up the schedule using cron?
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    I figured out my issue. It was with the cron settings. I got everything working properly now!
    I'd rather pay someone then root my Pre. People are still loading the apps without the rooting if I'm not mistaken. I'm still seeing people (developers) kind enough to still release ipk emails. There may not be a "point" to waste your time "as a dev", but as a forum member I felt you wasted my time reading your post.

Only a small fraction, yet very vocal, handful of Pre users will ever even hear the word "root" let alone know wheat it means. Alot of nontechie users are just trying to grab @ what they can while they can as the article told them to here on the cover of PreCentral when it.talked about the update.

Alot of people are greatul and just that little "marketing" you might receive could potentially lead to other things, even ,maybe convincing the user to root, but since there is no"point" as a "dev" then.. Gosh. I just reread what I typed. Aonic struck a nerve with his "root or screw you attitude".
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    I figured out my issue. It was with the cron settings. I got everything working properly now!
    You going to share?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    You guys are eventually gonna have to update to the latest version of webos sooner or later anyway. All new versions will have the email hole plugged, as a dev I don't see a point in packaging apps for the email hole since its plugged, so if people want to customize their pre through unofficial channels, these people should suck it up and root their pre.
    there is already another way to load apps on a stock pre without the email loop!!! so an ipk would be a great idea... is anybody planning to work on this or is this already in the works???
    Can anyone give my a hand getting the wallswitcher to work? When i try to run wallswitcher.sh i get back:

*******@castle:/$ sudo /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh
    Password:
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: Skull.jpg: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: -: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: -: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: Schwarzenegger.jpg: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: Begins: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: Glass: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: Lantern.jpg: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: Tails.jpg: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: USB.jpg: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: Lantern.jpg: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: Nautical: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: Plaid.jpg: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: Power.jpg: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: Dawn.JPG: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: Cross.jpg: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: iPhone.JPG: not found
    /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh: eval: line 1: syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
    *******@castle:/$
    Those are wallpapers in my /media/internal/wallpapers directory. Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Okay, one step closer... I renamed the files to all lower-case & no spaces & the test script work. The cron scheduling is now giving me issues. I insert:
    */1 * * * * /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh > /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.log 2>&1
    through "sudo vi /etc/cron/crontabs/root" & i put in that line (if it matters, it's the only line in there) however it doesn't change after every minute.
    Last edited by Veritas06; 07/02/2009 at 01:48 AM.
    i got everything working except i want to change the rotation to every 15 min but dont know how any ideas ??? i know it has to do with the last 2 steps in the wiki thanks for the help.
    Change the first argument in the 'root' crontab from */1 to */15
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I set this up tonight. Having cron is a good thing. I'll use it for more than just rotating wallpapers. :-)
    Obscura
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    IPK file??? can it be done???
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    IPK file??? can it be done???
    Someone might be able to write a graphical crontab editor. Would be far more useful than an app that only rotates wallpapers. :-)
    Obscura
    I'd be happy to have my wallpapers switch! But am not rooting so can only happen if someone makes an app for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I'd be happy to have my wallpapers switch! But am not rooting so can only happen if someone makes an app for this.
    +1
    Seriously anyone working on an ipk for this?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast