Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    and when i put it in there and then quit and save i go back to edit it and it's not in there
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prethorpe24 View Post
    okay so the mod-crond is a created one cuz it's empty otherwise right? so i should mod the stock /etc/event.d/crond? thing is i don't know how to back it up
    i'm not sure if you should mod the original. just add all that code when you vi /etc/event.d/mod-crond.

If that doesn't work, here is how you backup the crond file:

- cd /etc/event.d
    - type: cp crond crond.bak
    - check to see if you made the copy (Type ls and hit enter. If you copied successfuly, you should see crond.bak listed)

If you mess up when modifying stock crond, use the backup:

- cd /etc/event.d
    - cp -i crond.bak crond
    - Should promp override. Type y and hit enter
    Last edited by as4life; 07/30/2009 at 06:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=Prethorpe24;1793225]at as4life

no it won't let me save it

is it cuz i don't have the right crond file modified?

when i put it in /etc/cron/crontabs/root it says pattern not found[/QUOTE

vi /etc/cron/crontabs/root
    should be where you put */1 * * * * /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.sh > /opt/share/wallswitcher/wallswitcher.log 2>&1 in
    k i'll try that now, keep getting pattern not found when i try to edit /etc/cron/crontabs/root

thats where i'm trying to put it and it just says patten not found
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    k i'll try that now, keep getting pattern not found when i try to edit /etc/cron/crontabs/root

thats where i'm trying to put it and it just says patten not found
    cd /etc/cron/crontabs
    type ls hit enter
    do you see root listed
    if not, that means you need to create it.
    if listed:
    cd /etc/cron/crontabs
    vi root

I hope everything works out. I'm off to work. Good luck!
    thanks alot man i'll post if i get it working
    *sigh still can't get it to work

i think it's cuz wallswitcher.log doesn't exist
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by Beestinga View Post
    dear people *****ing about wanting something but not doing anything to make it happen,
    shhhhuuuuuuuuuuttttt uuuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppp.
    you've got options:
    1)root your pre and follow the guide that you've been blessed to have been given
    2)God forbid, read something, be productive, and HELP
    3)be lazy and do neither 1 nor 2 and live without changing wallpaper.

Refusing to do either of the first 2 and instead just *****ing that somebody make your life easier is not an option. Your mommy's not here and she's not developing for the pre, so build a bridge and get over it.

**EDIT: please note that I'm not trying to give a hard time to people who are making an honest effort and asking for help.
    seconded.

I have not had any command line experience since dos and am hesitant to try modding my pre. Used to be in an ansi group and once coded an app gen in tp, but that was a looooong time ago and i've forgotten what little I did know.
    did that app literally just come out
    *sigh still can't get it to work

i think it's cuz wallswitcher.log doesn't exist
    The log file won't exist until you get your crond settings correct.
    ah well that would make sense, and as nice as the app is, and it is pretty nice, i would love love love it to be every minute cuz thats the kind of person i am so imma try fixing the hack to the code tomorrow, i've spent all day looking at that damn crap and i'm tired of it. so yeah maybe as4life will be back tomorrow hehe. well anyway thanks everyone for all your help.
    yay i got it to work then i switched the wallpaper folder now it isn't working getting eval; line 1: syntax error: "(" unexpected
    wtf does that mean
    sigh i imagine it means that somewhere in the code there is a ( that isn't supposed to be there, i even typed out the whole thing by hand and then i got the same thing only with a ; instead
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I think a lot of your problems might be from how you are using vi. You have to arrow over to where you want to add code then enter i to activate edit mode. Just typing w/o being in edit mode will place everything on the command line and sometimes vi thinks you are trying to do a search, hence all your pattern not found errors. After you hit i and enter your text, hit esc to get out of edit. I hope I am on the right track here and that it helps.
    thanks i didn't think of that
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    have you figured it out?
    yeah i got it to work, but i'm using the app so i can keep one if i like it or something, though i would love to modify the code of the app
    to add every minute
    and thanks everyone who helped me you guys taught me alot and i learned alot thanks to you guys. wish i could write my own apps. actually how does one look at the code of an app?
    So its definitely switching, timing is longer than 5mins and switch now does not work. Also it is using everything from album art to pictures that are not in my wallpaper folder. I'm away from my pc so I can't mess with it...where would I begin to see why it pulling all pictures....folder location in the crond file too?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234