Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm planning my first WebOS app: a scientific calculator.
    The design is mostly done. I'll be working on it in the next few weeks. I guess it shouldn't be THAT much work but unfortunately my time is kinda limited at the moment. Still I hope to finish it in a reasonable amount of time.

I thought I'd post about it so that other people aren't going to do the same thing which would obviously be kind of a shame

I have attached a mockup of what it will look like. Hope you like it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hi. This would be really handy!

Instead of the alternate functions (in green) taking up screen real estate, how about using the space button, or the orange button(!), to show alternate functions. Like the built-in calc.
    YES PLEASE!

1337... nice. I caught that, don't worry.
    I ask for one thing...

make it so when i need to find the cos of 34, i can press 34 then cos... Not cos, then 34... It might sound like it doesn't make a difference, but it can save me alot of time... Thank you.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I ask for one thing...

make it so when i need to find the cos of 34, i can press 34 then cos... Not cos, then 34... It might sound like it doesn't make a difference, but it can save me alot of time... Thank you.
    All the calculators I've ever used were like that so yes it's definitely gonna be like that
    But, it's got an '=' key.
    This is going to be great!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  8.    #8  
    Hmm the ones I remember from school had an = key but still worked like that for stuff like sin.

I'm still thinking of maybe make it an RPN calculator or at least have that as an option. But then again maybe that's too geeky for 'joe user'
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Hmm the ones I remember from school had an = key but still worked like that for stuff like sin.
    Yes. Inconsistent isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    I'm still thinking of maybe make it an RPN calculator or at least have that as an option. But then again maybe that's too geeky for 'joe user'
    1 vote here for RPN. (Of course.)
    Beautiful design!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I would love to see a RPN calculator also. I have been using post fix calculators since my HP21 some 30 years ago. Right now I am using RPN using Classic.
    Avigo > PalmIII > PalmIIIEX > Visor > Prism > Prism w/Data module > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Pre
    Awesome OP, this is one of my Top 20 desired apps. I do have a couple comments for you that may help.

1) There isn't much point to having a ^2 function that is not a dedicated, one push button. If you want to put in 2^2, you normally hit "2"; "^2" but in your design you would hit "2"; "INV" "^2", the same number of button presses as using the "y^x" function.

2) I would love a DEG-RAD function (or is that the D-G-R button?)

3) To be competitive, you will really need to figure out a way to have multi-line output. At least so you can see the original input expression and then the output, to let users confirm that what they calculated was correct. Not necessarily Ti-89 good but it's got to be there. Just my thought.
  13.    #13  
    Ok I decided to go RPN. RPN === WIN and most people who need a scientific calculator will probably know how to use it anyway. I myself prefer it too

I'll throw in a bunch of memory registers as well.

Still have unused spots on the keypad so I'm still tinkering with what exact functionality I'll add. Suggestions are more than welcome, both for functionality as well as for key names, colors etc.

Note the reason I'm spending a fair amount of time in fleshing out the UI and functionality is the fact that this is probably more work than the actual coding which isn't all that hard. And of course this thing has to look sexy.

Attached a new mockup.
    Hey TheMarco,

I don't know if this counts for your app or not, but personally, I would LOVE to see graphing capability in this. That would definitely make it a KILLER in my book. I literally use my Treo's PowerOne Graph calculator at least 10 times a day, if not more. It's invaluable to me.

I'm not sure if it's a lot of work or if its possible, but maybe include a button that pops open a card and asks for a function to graph?

Just a suggestion... :P
    Was excited until I heard RPN. Definitely not my preference, but the program seems like a good idea. If you get it to look at all like the mockup, you have yourself a winner. Good luck.
    After looking at my TI-30X, I have a few suggestions.

1) Change "FN" to "2nd"
    2) Make ^2 a primary button, and make the x^y it's 2nd function
    3) Give the sqrt button have a 2nd function of "Xth root"...if that makes sense.
    4) I'm assuming EXP is the same as the EE function (scientific notation). If not, I would add that.
    5) I would switch the EXP and +/- buttons
    6) Two lines - one for input and one for output
    6b) If you have two lines you should add parentheses so people can put in more complicated expressions on one line.

Here is a small pic of the 30XIIS so you know what I mean by two lines.
    ok... not a GOOD app and not pretty and not mojo at all, and his mockup is WAY nicer than mine, and the the buttons are a little small for fat fingers, but never-the-less there's a WORKING scientific calculator in http://www.vocshop.com/junk/SciCalc.zip

It is a direct port of a old javascript calculator. It works fine. Nothing fancy. Fancy will come later.

Rick
    oh, and it's algebraic NOT NOT NOT rpn.

Rick
    Good to see something like this getting developed, though I'm not a fan of RPN at all myself.
    Ok I decided to go RPN. RPN === WIN and most people who need a scientific calculator will probably know how to use it anyway.
    Excellent.

RPN, with its simple stack architecture is easier to implement than a postfix calculator that has to keep track of parentheses and order of operations, anyway.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast