Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckmobile View Post
    Hi. This would be really handy!

Instead of the alternate functions (in green) taking up screen real estate, how about using the space button, or the orange button(!), to show alternate functions. Like the built-in calc.
    This would require you to open your phone to get full use, which isn't a great design. Having them do the same function if the keyboard is used would be good additional functionality. However, I don't think requiring keyboard use is a great plan.
  2.    #22  
    Thanks for the suggestions & remarks guys! I'm gonna start with the basics so I can get something out there. If it turns out that tons of people are actually gonna use this I may go dual mode (RPN / standard). I am not planning to incorporate any keyboard functionality.

Shane112358 I really like your suggestions. I'll probably use most of them.

Finally the graphing: My main problem is that I've never owned a graphing calculator. I don't know how they work
    Even if I did I suppose that would be a v2.0 or v3.0 feature. Gonna get the basics right first
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I've got a background in both math and programming. A scientific calc. app is one of the first on my list of apps to build. (When I actually get free time from my normal job).

1. RPN / standard - personally, I really miss my HP15c, but for the most bang, I'd focus on the standard input. Most RPN's I've seen are the HP12c financial calcs.

2. There are some scientific calcs on sourceforge that may be of use for code samples. (haven't used any of them).

3. Graphing would definitely be something that'd make it really valuable. (not to try and copy any i phone app, but www . iphone-calc . com looks really good - although look at the comments on it).

4. One of the first tasks I'm planning on doing is going through all of palm's opensource packages - and seeing what native objects are provided - some of the requisite functions may already be built into the system.

I'm open to collaborating/coding/testing.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    +1 for RPN
    I went to school for 7 years of engineering and physics and worked as an engineer for about 6 years. I have never used RPN and this is really the first I've heard of it.

In retrospect I have run across it once or twice but didn't know it even had a name.

Seems like something codemonkeys would like. To each his own. Another thing I learned today...
    Just realized that you are doing RPN ONLY. Please reconsider. You are going to lose 90% of your audience!!!
  7.    #27  
    I'm gonna start with RPN but I'll probably make it dual mode.

Note: If you've never used an RPN calculator you should really give it a serious try! When I was in highschool my dad gave me a HP 15C and told me the same thing. After a day or two I never wanted to go back ever again. And an added advantage was the fact that nobody every picked me to borrow my calculator because they forgot their own because it freaked them out
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Everyone wants their calculator a little different. Do what you want. But anyone else thinking of doing a calculator shouldn't feel like it's already done.

Personally what I really want from a calculator is a history, like in the Windows XP Powertoy calculator. Lifehacker - Power Up Windows Calculator with Power Calculator - Calculator It doesn't cram every function into a button (although it has them), but you can see the results of the last few operations and that's far more useful in my book. Traditional calculators have all those buttons because that was the only option, no way to do pull-down menus....
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Ok I decided to go RPN. RPN === WIN and most people who need a scientific calculator will probably know how to use it anyway. I myself prefer it too
    Thank you.

Still have unused spots on the keypad so I'm still tinkering with what exact functionality I'll add. Suggestions are more than welcome, both for functionality as well as for key names, colors etc.
    Maybe reserve the button for mode change - Stats, Finacial etc
  10.    #30  
    Ok I'm done screwing around with the gui. Coding starts tomorrow. Well, chopping this up and CSSing it is probably gonna take more time than the actual calculator code

Here's the semi final (improved) look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Hmm the ones I remember from school had an = key but still worked like that for stuff like sin.

I'm still thinking of maybe make it an RPN calculator or at least have that as an option. But then again maybe that's too geeky for 'joe user'
    Another vote for RPN!!!!!! Let my Pre replace another gadget...my HP48G
  12.    #32  
    Well.... it will be a long while before I have all the functionality a HP48G has
    Probably never in fact because I'm not that much of a math wizard hehe!
    looks great dude keep up the good work. Really looking forward to an app like this.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Well.... it will be a long while before I have all the functionality a HP48G has
    Probably never in fact because I'm not that much of a math wizard hehe!
    Hey that's ok...just having a RPN calculator will do the trick. Are you considering any sort of stack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane112358 View Post
    I went to school for 7 years of engineering and physics and worked as an engineer for about 6 years. I have never used RPN and this is really the first I've heard of it.

In retrospect I have run across it once or twice but didn't know it even had a name.

Seems like something codemonkeys would like. To each his own. Another thing I learned today...
    most of the engineering/science students that I knew had HP RPN calculators. They were the best constructed calculators on the market and after you got used to them, they were faster than the 'normal' calculators.
    +1 for standard. RPN is easier to implement, but my brain works in standard mode.

Have you looked at EasyCalc for PalmOS? It's somewhat ugly, but functional. And you can get source, but not sure it would help too much for webOS.

I really like the fact that it has two lines for the equation and a line for the result. Plus there is a history so one can revert back to earlier calculations.

Another neat feature is that if you highlight part of the equation and then hit open parenthesis it adds both open & close around the selection.
    GUI is looking great, keep up the great work!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  18.    #38  
    Good progress today. The gui is pretty much finished and working. See screenshot and photo!
    Attached Images Attached Images
  19.    #39  
    I've got a working 4-level stack and the calculator can perform the basic operations. This is FUUUUN!
    This thread is not in English to me but I can understand the screenshots Keep up the good work!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast