1.    #1  
    It's pretty self explanatory...

Obviously a lot of it isn't operational yet. I'll need the API before I can get everything working how I want it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    Jordan Mack
    webOS Chat
    I am not sure how you will get information from the calender with no API support.
  3.    #3  
    Will they not offer API support on the calendar? Bummer...
    Jordan Mack
    webOS Chat
    I got a great idea. Pm me for details. Will you sign a non-disclosure agreement? Just kidding...
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmack549 View Post
    Will they not offer API support on the calendar? Bummer...
    palm://com.palm.calendar/crud - createEvent - Creating New Event

This is about as much as you're going to get without the book.
    looks good, hope you can create it and put it on the app store. I would buy it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcbeutler View Post
    palm://com.palm.calendar/crud - createEvent - Creating New Event

This is about as much as you're going to get without the book.
    Once the documentation is released, are they going to offer more support though?

Quote Originally Posted by ericnyc646 View Post
    looks good, hope you can create it and put it on the app store. I would buy it.
    Thanks! Although it will most likely be free. I'm creating it because I want something like it.
    Jordan Mack
    webOS Chat
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The first question is what's the purpose of the app. You shouldn't assume it's self-explanatory. Is it a home screen meant to be always up? Is it a shortcut screen bringing oft used items together into a single few? Is it a shortcut page that users can mix and match widgets to fit their lifestyle? It's important to tell people what you expect it to do in order to get a proper critique.

Assuming it's a home screen meant to be always up it has some redundancy. The phone already provides easily visible indicators of time, bluetooth status, wifi status and battery life. Likewise the calendar items will show up as notifications at the bottom of the screen based on how the reminders are set. Having a quick view of the day's calendar isn't a bad idea but with only room for three items it's not going to be super useful beyond having just the notifications themselves.

What I'd look to do is maximize the density of information. If you must have the wifi, bt, and battery indicators move them to the top and make them smaller possibly replacing the text labels with icons similar to their counterparts at the top of the phone. You'll use those much less than the other parts. Dominate the screen with the weather indicator and time combining them into a single 1/4 of the screen - put the weather graphic in the background with the time and temp in the foreground. Put the date off to the right of the weather/time in it's own upper quarter of the screen. Under it put the days appointments. Put the time first and then the short description. Make them clickable to pull up the full calendar description. maybe add a "new" or "add" for quick access to the calendar app or even just an icon of the calendar close to the date. Then you'd have access to all of the most important and oft used visuals in the upper half of the screen.

Then you can arrange you fav contacts and apps in the remaining space below.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmack549 View Post
    Once the documentation is released, are they going to offer more support though?
    Some documentation has already been release in the form of the Rough Cuts book. I wouldn't expect the ability to read calendars wine the SDK becomes officially available.
    A today screen! Cool
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Your contact placeholder images made me laugh.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Your contact placeholder images made me laugh.
    Because they looked so realistic?
    Jordan Mack
    webOS Chat
    Why would you not be able to read the calendar? The source for the calendar app is ON THE PHONE.

I mean, uh, it may not be simple, but it sure as heck can't be impossible.
    I had read that an app can only read calendar apps that it itself has created, for obvious security reasons.

I have yet to test this. I'll look into the APIs in a minute.

EDIT:

It looks like you can only get events from a calendar if you know it's synergy accountID, which you will likely not have.

This makes sense though, your app should not be able to access info from other accounts. I wouldn't want my e-mail and calendar events to be visible to 3rd party apps.

I'm merely speculating at how this works though...
    Last edited by NoRemorse; 06/30/2009 at 08:11 PM.