Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I'm getting the "no device found" error whenever I try to run palm-install.bat

I only saw one other person with this problem in the entire 22 page thread, and the response was to make sure the emulator is running and make sure the same command window that runs palm-emulator.bat runs palm-install.bat

I immediately call palm-emulator then palm-install, and the response is "palm-install: no device found"

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by tcbeutler View Post

I only saw one other person with this problem in the entire 22 page thread, and the response was to make sure the emulator is running and make sure the same command window that runs palm-emulator.bat runs palm-install.bat

I immediately call palm-emulator then palm-install, and the response is "palm-install: no device found"

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Make sure you are in the top directory of your apps folder...

For example.. if you installed your Palm in C: in a dos window go to C:\Palm\SDK\share\samples

Start | Run --> Type in CMD a dos prompt opens up.

then type cd C:\Palm\SDK\share\samples

when you are there.. lets run the "Data" app that is included in the SDK (supposedly, not that i know whats there)

so now in the dos prompt.. Type "palm-package Data"

it will end up looking like this

Code:
    C:\Palm\SDK\share\samples>palm-package Data
    Creating package in C:\Palm\SDK\share\samples\com.palmdts.data_1.0_all.ipk

C:\Palm\SDK\share\samples>
    Then

after you have started the emulator

type "palm-install com.palmdts.data_1.0_all.ipk"

It will look like this

Code:
    C:\Palm\SDK\share\samples>palm-install com.palmdts.data_1.0_all.ipk
    connecting to device emulator (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:tcp:5033)
    copying C:\Palm\SDK\share\samples\com.palmdts.data_1.0_all.ipk to /media/interna
    l/developer/com.palmdts.data_1.0_all.ipk on device emulator (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:tcp:50338)
    installing package /media/internal/developer/com.palmdts.data_1.0_all.ipk on dev
    ice emulator (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:tcp:50338)

Now you should have a round Palm logo installed called "Data"

Let me know how it goes This is all assuming you have the emulator up and running. Also not sure what environment your running, or OS. But you do have to be basically one directory UP of what you're trying to do..

Maybe some more very specific details of what your doing?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I've tried it with absolute paths as well as relative. Kept getting the same thing...

So I figured I'd take the 2 minutes to reinstall the SDK. Now, I get

"palm-install: Connection refused: connect"

Running Win XP64

Just to show, here's a SS. Gonna try a quick reboot and report back.

Thanks for responding
    I always run the palm-package within the Bin folder and just use relative paths to the app folder.

palm-package ../share/samples/UIWidgets

That puts the ipk in the Bin folder.

Then I just run

palm-install whateverthenameis.ipk
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I am having this same problem. I'm running XP home. I can get the SDK to package IPKs, but when I try to install them, I get "palm-install: no device found".

I have also tried putting my Pre in developer mode and install would not find that either.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Third install and everything works. No idea what the problem was =/
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Did you do anything special? I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the SDK half a dozen times, restarting the computer in between, after, etc. I guess I will try uninstalling everything tonight and re-installing it all from scratch.
    wasn't there issues with 64 bit Win OS's?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tasdad View Post
    Did you do anything special? I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the SDK half a dozen times, restarting the computer in between, after, etc. I guess I will try uninstalling everything tonight and re-installing it all from scratch.
    Sorry to say it, but nothing special. I uninstalled, did a clean reboot, reinstalled with nothing running, and it worked. Same motions.

Good luck.
    Make sure you don't have some "security" software enabled that prevents you from connecting to the emulator.
    I had the same problem and found out what it was:

lol, you MUST close the files you're working with.
    I inadvertently had "index.html" open and didn't notice it. The install couldn't work because one of the files it was trying to install was in use and therefore locked by windows. That's why the problem for most people seemed to eventually "Work with not problem, have no idea what the problem was": after closing the file in use, it magically started working.

Hope this helps for some.
    Wake up, Mr. Freeman, wake up and... smell the ashes.

My theme: Minimalist+

$5 app icons for webOS developers!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RottingOrange View Post
    I had the same problem and found out what it was:

lol, you MUST close the files you're working with.
    I inadvertently had "index.html" open and didn't notice it. The install couldn't work because one of the files it was trying to install was in use and therefore locked by windows. That's why the problem for most people seemed to eventually "Work with not problem, have no idea what the problem was": after closing the file in use, it magically started working.

Hope this helps for some.
    That doesn't really make sense, because you're installing the .ipk after you run palm-package (which runs fine with all the files open)

Doesn't have much to do with not finding the device. =/
    I've tried it with absolute paths as well as relative. Kept getting the same thing...

So I figured I'd take the 2 minutes to reinstall the SDK. Now, I get

"palm-install: Connection refused: connect"

Running Win XP64

Just to show, here's a SS. Gonna try a quick reboot and report back.

Thanks for responding
    I'm getting the same problem but here are two things I've learned so far:
    1) Are you starting the emulator from the shortcut or from VBox? You should start it from the shortcut so that it first checks to see if the Novacom service is running. Novacom is responsible for communication with the emulator. The Novacom service needs to be running before the emulator starts up. If you run it while the emulator is on, you'll have to reset it.
    2) To manually check if the "Palm Novacom" Windows service has been started and is running, go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > "Palm Novacom"
    The problem on my end is that my Novacom service claims to be running yet I know it's not because when I click on the Palm emulator shortcut, it reports that the service isn't running. I'm running Vista Home Premium (32-bit).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    What OS are you running this emulator on?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Well, I tried re-installing everything and that didn't work. I guess I will have to wait for the official SDK release and hope that it will work. If not, at least then I could get some official support.

If anyone happens to come across a solution to the "no device found" error, please let me know.
    I also had the "no device found" problem when trying to install to the Emulator, but somehow fixed it by rebooting, running palm-install, running the emulator, then running palm-install again. This is verbatim from the command prompt:

E:\Program Files (x86)\Palm\SDK\bin>palm-install.bat -l
    palm-install: no device found

E:\Program Files (x86)\Palm\SDK\bin>palm-install.bat -l
    connecting to device emulator (AC61087858484282556ADA0BC53FCC07XXXX)
    listing packages on device emulator (AC61087858484282556ADA0BCXXXX
    p:50128)
    com.palm.app.backup 1.0 "Backup"
    com.palm.app.bluetooth 1.0 "Bluetooth"
    com.palm.app.browser 1.0 "Web"

and the app is there.

Can I be the first to complain about Palm's useless support for this leaked SDK running on an unreleased operating system ? :-)

[Edit: Should have stated that this is on Windows 7, Build 7100, with 64-bit Java and the 64-bit swt.jar file ]
    Last edited by stonehat; 07/02/2009 at 12:03 PM.
    Are you installing to the device or the emulator?

to install to the phone (when not using 'run' in eclipse) I always open a command prompt in the directory of the ipk then run:

palm-install -d USB com.whatev.app_1.0_all.ipk

Pushes to the phone.

I have done this on XP, win7, and vista. All 32bit.

Of course in eclipse you just chose to run on 'palm device' instead of 'palm emulator'
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stonehat View Post
    I also had the "no device found" problem, but somehow fixed it by rebooting, running palm-install, running the emulator, then running palm-install again.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it, but it didn't work. Weird how this seems to resolve itself for everyone. I guess I'll just keep plugging away, rebooting, re-installing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stonehat View Post
    Can I be the first to complain about Palm's useless support for this leaked SDK ? :-)
    I agree! Companies need to support their leaked products better. I downloaded a leaked movie last year, but when i called Warner Bros to complain about the picture quality, they told me to get bent!

Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    Are you installing to the device or the emulator?
    I've tried both. I've tried the device in both USB and Just Charge modes, The emulator launched from the CMD prompt, from the desktop link. Tried launching both the palm-emulator and palmemulator links. I even tried launching the emulator while standing on one leg clucking like a chicken. Still no luck.

I wonder if the problem could be that my hard drive is not letter C? Last time I restored my OS, it named my hard drive F. Shouldn't make a difference, but you never know.
    I got the 'no device found' thing this morning. So tonight when I got home, I did a reboot. Start Virtualbox. Start emulator. issued:

palm-install -d tcp com......ipk

worked just fine, no re-install needed. I'm on XP. I tend to think it may be due to files open. When I was working on things this morning, I had the development files open, moving around various directories, lots of stuff going on.
    i can install to my emulator, but not to my pre device ("no device found"). anyone have had this, and found a solution? Novacom is running. Emulator is not. Pre in "Just Charge" mode.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast