Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I finally got the installer to work! It seems that there was a problem with my Novacom. If anyone is still having this problem, right click on your "My Computer " link, go to Hardware>Device Manager. In there, if there is a yellow exclamation point on Novacom, click on it and re-install the driver.

Other people have found other ways to fix this problem, so this may not work for everyone. It seems that many different problems cause this same error message.

Gotta go play with all my great downloaded apps now!
    Still having major issues...with "connection refused error" multiple install and reinstalls, went to services.msc, novacom started...usb shows palm novacom plugged in.

windows vista home...no yellow exclamation...just over and over connection refused

when starting emulator from icon..says novacom needs to be running..get options of abort ignore retry

help
    i also have the connection refused error no matter what i try

my services list claims that palm novacom is in fact running, but when i try to restart it, i get errors

im running vista home premium as well, I'm trying a full install on an old XP machine now, ill post here if that works

EDIT: the install on XP worked fully so I guess Vista was causing the problem :/
    Last edited by nealbhasin; 07/17/2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: found problem
    Guess i will never get this working on Vista
    I use the Ubuntu Linux SDK.

I got the error in either case, whether I tried to run the test app from Eclipse or manually, through the command window.

To correct the problem, I did a "Close", then "Power Off the Machine," in the emulator, then restarted the emulator (the equivalent of turning your Pre completely off and back on again, which does a shutown and a reboot of the Linux/webOS).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
    I use the Ubuntu Linux SDK.

I got the error in either case, whether I tried to run the test app from Eclipse or manually, through the command window.

To correct the problem, I did a "Close", then "Power Off the Machine," in the emulator, then restarted the emulator (the equivalent of turning your Pre completely off and back on again, which does a shutdown and a reboot of the Linux/webOS).
    I fully agree, restarting Gnu/Linux webOS "within" the emulator always did the trick for me (I use Cygwin under Windows XP).

Personally, I'm using a different (smarter?) way to restart Gnu/Linux webOS, by logging in the emulator and asking for a reboot (commands in bold, console output in italics):
    Code:
    $ ssh -p 5522 root@localhost
    root@localhost's password: 
    root@qemux86:/var/home/root# shutdown -r now

Broadcast message from root@qemux86
            (/dev/pts/0) at 12:24 ...

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
    root@qemux86:/var/home/root# Connection to localhost closed by remote host.
    Connection to localhost closed.
    Of course, you get kicked out of the emulator, but back in your native environment, you can see the communication being brought back to life:
    Code:
    $ novacom.exe -l
    3633 7b3a2fecb5c526f08722bea6e78731c34aa05bc2 tcp emulator

But looking further, I came to suspect the webOS novacomd daemon to be the reason for the "no device found" issue. It appeared that simply killing and restarting it did the trick too (notice the & to put the process in background):
    Code:
    $ ssh -p 5522 root@localhost
    root@localhost's password: 
    root@qemux86:/var/home/root# ps axuww | grep novacomd | egrep -v grep
    root      1313  4.8  0.2   1904   676 ?        S<l  12:52   1:40 /sbin/novacomd --connect-ip 10.0.2.2
    root@qemux86:/var/home/root# kill -1 1313
    root@qemux86:/var/home/root# /sbin/novacomd --connect-ip 10.0.2.2 &
    root@qemux86:/var/home/root# [2009/8/2 13:27:32] novacomd version novacomd-59 starting...
    [2009/8/2 13:27:32] novacomctl socket ready to accept
    [2009/8/2 13:27:32] Got option connect-ip with value 10.0.2.2
    [2009/8/2 13:27:32] Connecting to 10.0.2.2/6969 via IP
    [2009/8/2 13:27:32] [2009/8/2 13:27:32] going online
    [2009/8/2 13:27:32] novacom_register_device:187: dev '347c170321261c677fe2f9538e86b36ee44a7e46' via tcp type emulator
    failed to open gadgetfs ep0 node
    If confirmed, this could mean the novacomd daemon somewhat gets lost whenever the emulator is restarted from the previously saved state. So rebooting the whole webOS was just a (bit complicated) way of restarting the novacomd daemon itself! ;-)

Hope it helps, this worked for me like a charm so far...
    Last edited by Thibaud; 08/02/2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Typo fix
    The solution to my "device not found" problem, when installing to the emulator, seemed to be solved by not saving the state of the emulator prior to loading it before the install. ie the emulator had to go throught the complete bootup process before the install.
    I just use "killall novacomd"

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I also have a problem with disconnecting the Pre from my PC after using palm-install. I try the XP "Safe removal" but it never let's me disconnect.

In the end, I have to physically disconnect, and get warned by the Pre that this may damage data.

Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I just use "killall novacomd"

-- Rod
    Small is beautiful, as always, thank you Rod...
    Last edited by Thibaud; 12/04/2009 at 05:20 AM.
    Palm Pilot Pro -> M505 -> T|X -> (franken) Pre & Pixi -> Pre2 2.2.4 & TP
    Linphone port to webOS (1.4.x -> ...), lately working on NAVIT
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12