Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I can't get my SDK to load up, maybe the download got corrupted?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffrydasean View Post
    I can't get my SDK to load up, maybe the download got corrupted?
    • Did you install virtualbox?
    • Did you reboot your computer?
    • Are you running Vista?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Yup. Took me a while, but yes I managed to do it...

I then switched the number displayed with an intpicker so that not only can you slide the slider and update the number, but the other way around, you choose the number and the slider moves as well!

Let me know if you need help with it...

It's pretty simple... You just have to set up a listen event and put a function on the buttom telling the program what to do when it "hears" the event happen...

In the bottom function, you need to update the variable that is displayed on the screen and then refresh the display so it shows the new variable value.

Let me know if that was too vague and I'll go into more details...
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    Code:
    ww.prototype.setup = function() {
    this.controller.setupWidget('slider', this.attributes, this.model);
    	Mojo.Event.listen($('slider'),Mojo.Event.propertyChange,this.sliderPropertyChanged.bindAsEventListener(this));
    }	

ww.prototype.sliderPropertyChanged = function(event){
    		this.updateText(event.value);
    }
    ww.prototype.updateText = function(sliderValue){
    		this.controller.get("slider-value-field").update(sliderValue);
    }
    This code works fine to update the "slider-value-field" to the current value after your finger lifts off the screen, but I can't figure out how to update the on screen value while your sliding back and forth.

I'm not really interested in updating the slider position from buttons (yet?), I'm just looking to get the text updated while sliding. Again, thanks for your help!
    YYAAAHHOOOO!!!

I started working on an application back in like February. Tonight's the first night I've had a chance to really sit with the emulator and my Pre and try to follow all the stuff in this thread. And YYAAAHHHOOO! I got it to load! Portions of it work. It looks nuthin like a real Pre app. Lots to do on style stuff. But I got it to LOAD! Can you tell I'm excited?

Thanks LOADS to all who put stuff into this thread. I really appreciate it. I didn't want to go into the rooting thing and was hoping to get something packaged up before they took away the email route. That didn't happen (no time).

Anyway, now I can get down to some real testing and polishing this thing up. Oh, yeah, y'all will want to know what it is - a foreign currency exchange calculator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    YYAAAHHOOOO!!!

I started working on an application back in like February. Tonight's the first night I've had a chance to really sit with the emulator and my Pre and try to follow all the stuff in this thread. And YYAAAHHHOOO! I got it to load! Portions of it work. It looks nuthin like a real Pre app. Lots to do on style stuff. But I got it to LOAD! Can you tell I'm excited?

Thanks LOADS to all who put stuff into this thread. I really appreciate it. I didn't want to go into the rooting thing and was hoping to get something packaged up before they took away the email route. That didn't happen (no time).

Anyway, now I can get down to some real testing and polishing this thing up. Oh, yeah, y'all will want to know what it is - a foreign currency exchange calculator.
    if you can package it there is still another method to install it on a non rooted pre... not sure if you were aware of that, but good work in any case i was hoping someone would make an app like that especially since im in the military and travel over seas often!!
    At this point I need to focus on getting it all "Pre-ized". Maybe by the time I get it done, someone will have found another install method. My desire is that I can put it out for free to beta testers via these forums and then go to the App store when we have access to that.

And on the travelling thing, one of my design goals is to have the rates store automatically off a web source when available, and then it'll still work when you're out of range. Pulling that data is a whole new world to explore.
    well whenever you need a beta tester pm me I am more then willing to give it a test drive using the available app install method..... Posted from pre
    I think I might have figured out how to update while sliding a slider, but I'm not sure. If you add the attribute "updateInterval" and give it a small value (say, .1), the slider will send an update event every .1 seconds while it is being dragged.
    Something like this:
    Code:
    	this.attributes = {
    		modelProperty:	'value'
    		,minValue:		10
    		,maxValue:		600
    		,round:			true
    		,updateInterval:	.1
    	    };
    Does that seem like a coding best practice, or is there another way?
    Quote Originally Posted by murdermajig View Post
    How do i set it up and use it?
    i have no clue.
    LOL. Guess and check? I have no clue either. This whole Ajax call stuff is WAY over my head... i'm just googling it to get familiar with the regular HTML use of Ajax so I can eventually learn to "Pre-ify" it... : /

Quote Originally Posted by boomboomkitty View Post
    Code:
    ww.prototype.setup = function() {
    	Mojo.Event.listen($('slider'),Mojo.Event.propertyChange,this.sliderPropertyChanged.bindAsEventListener(this));
    }	

this.updateText(event.value);
    }
    ww.prototype.updateText = function(sliderValue){
    		this.controller.get("slider-value-field").update(sliderValue);

}
    If you don't mind me asking... why do you set up two sliders with the same name? and why do you have your listen function send it to another function which then updates?
    So... I'm assuming "slider-value-field" is the name of the variable that's outputting the slider value and its just a static display number in your app?
    Also, the model of this static display is this.model? or is that the model of the slider?
    Now... assuming slider-value-field is the name of the constant that you're showing to display the value... and assuming this.model is the model properties of this said output that's showing the value of the slider... then...

Why don't you try something like this:

Code:
    		this.model.slider-value-field = event.value
                    this.controller.modelChanged(this.model,this);
    }
    That should automatically tell your outputted value function that the value has changed and it should be refreshed... this way you should only need one function... Keep in mind this isn't debugged or checked in anyway... its just off the top of my head... I might be able to help you more if you send me the app or if you want we can work on it together... good luck!

The way you do it may come in handy later though in case you want multiple events to do one thing. That is what I ended up doing, but in the beginning you might wanna keep it short and simple.

YYAAAHHOOOO!!!

Thanks LOADS to all who put stuff into this thread. I really appreciate it.
    Congrats! I was going to start a while back too but I started by learning HTML and got bored and gave up... hahaha so kudos to you! I've seen some apps that are "un-preified" as you say... and they truly look bad on the Pre! I want every app I make to look official and have all the awesome formatting... trust me... it gets pretty tricky when you start trying to do that... but it looks DAMN good! Good luck!

My desire is that I can put it out for free to beta testers via these forums and then go to the App store when we have access to that.
    Awesome! I really hope by the time the SDK comes out and they start taking in apps for the appstore... it gets FLOODED with crazy awesome apps (and NOT fart apps) I REALLY hope I can officially have my app finished by then so I can submit it right when the store opens up too!

Here's to hoping!

Pulling that data is a whole new world to explore.
    LOL. No joke. That's what murder and I have been working on... it ain't easy. >.<. (at least for us it ain't). The guy who made the XBox Live app seems to be able to do it in a breeze... : /

Quote Originally Posted by boomboomkitty View Post
    I think I might have figured out how to update while sliding a slider, but I'm not sure. If you add the attribute "updateInterval" and give it a small value (say, .1), the slider will send an update event every .1 seconds while it is being dragged.
    Something like this:
    Code:
    	this.attributes = {
    		modelProperty:	'value'
    		,minValue:		10
    		,maxValue:		600
    		,round:			true
    		,updateInterval:	.1
    	    };
    Does that seem like a coding best practice, or is there another way?
    Does it work? I don't see why it would be a problem... I think it might be a bit more resource intensive to have the slider value constantly keep being updated... instead of just having a listen event grabbing the new information anytime its changed... but... I guess if you have one slider int he whole app its not a problem... I'm just thinking ahead if you start having 12 sliders and 6 buttons and each one is constantly updating its information... might get a little taxing.
    Did you guys figure out how to make the slider change in realtime based on your int picker or button presses? I've been racking my brain over this.

Btw, you guys are a real inspiration to me. I've been really motivated by reading this thread.
    Btw, you guys may want to take a look at this site:

www sergiopereira com/articles/prototype.jsjsjs.$html$#$UsingAjax$

Prototype has some cool AJAX wrapper classes that should help simplify the process.
    Hey guys, I created the webOShelp.net site and am one of the writers over there. I just read through this thread and it's good to hear some feedback on the site. Our forums aren't the busiest right now because Precentral has really steamrolled most of the other Pre/webOS related sites out there.

What is it that would be most useful to you guys to see? Would it be tutorials that demonstrate end-to-end creation of simple apps, or short tutorials that demonstrate single features such as how to set up a slider widget?

We want to be the best resource out there for webOS developers...tell us how!
    Hi Ken, I was wondering if you can post video tutorials, I am more of a visual learner
    Can you show us/me how to pull data from a website like Roar's Translator app
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    Did you guys figure out how to make the slider change in realtime based on your int picker or button presses? I've been racking my brain over this.
    You have to change the model object you used when you set up the slider then call modelChanged.

this.modelSlider.value = 50;
    this.controller.modelChanged(this.modelSlider);
    Quote Originally Posted by ken@weboshelp.net View Post
    Hey guys, I created the webOShelp.net site and am one of the writers over there. I just read through this thread and it's good to hear some feedback on the site. Our forums aren't the busiest right now because Precentral has really steamrolled most of the other Pre/webOS related sites out there.

What is it that would be most useful to you guys to see? Would it be tutorials that demonstrate end-to-end creation of simple apps, or short tutorials that demonstrate single features such as how to set up a slider widget?

Hi Ken, this is Ken. I found your weboshelp site last night as a result of this thread. I looked thru it some at like 2 am. It looks like a good start. It also looks like maybe (and I'm just guessing here) that the Mojo call doc is still getting built out. If that's the case, I'd focus on getting them all documented first. The style of one - the how to do a calendar entry - seemed to be quite complete and ready to go. Once you have all at that level of quality, then you can work on bigger stuff. Also, you might want to document install process & procedures (you may not as we're all using backdoors), but it seems like a lot of us had to wade thru some c&^( to get it working. Having it all in one place would help noob's.

I would like some focus on a few widgets or API calls at a time but also have the tutorials focus on some of the advanced uses of that particular widget/API/service. I love reading a simple tutorial and have a horrible attention span so its nice to have some more advanced topics after you've read through some of the simple stuff.

Also, Ken. I've read through your site and its very helpful except it references hypothetical syntax in a few places. It will mention in so many words "well we THINK it should be coded this way". Just a heads up. It's probably minor but I know I stopped reading a few examples because of this.
    Hey guys, I put two button in my first-assistant.jsjsjs , $how$ $to$ $get$ $the$ $button$ $id$ $when$ $the$ $button$ $is$ $be$ $tapped$,$thx$
    hey iceworld,

not sure I am if I understand exactly what you are looking for. Let me know if you meant something else. If you are trying to get something to happen when your buttons are tapped you would do something like:
    (btw this is for a mojo widget button as opposed to a plain html button.

html:first-scene.html
    Code:
    <div x-mojo-element="Button" id="myButton"></div>
    <div id="test">This just for testing.</div>

jsjsjs: $first$-$assistant$.$js$
    Code:
    function FirstAssistant() {
    }

FirstAssistant.prototype.setup = function() {

this.controller.setupWidget("myButton",
                this.attributes = {
                    disabledProperty: 'disabled'
                    },
                this.model = {
                    buttonLabel: "My Awesome Button",
                    buttonClass: '',
                    disabled: false
                });

this.controller.listen('myButton', Mojo.Event.tap, this.myButtonTap.bindAsEventListener(this));

};

FirstAssistant.prototype.myButtonTap = function(event) {

//  do something, anything! 
    $("test").innerHTML += "Clicked!"

};
    Quote Originally Posted by murdermajig View Post
    Hi Ken, I was wondering if you can post video tutorials, I am more of a visual learner
    Can you show us/me how to pull data from a website like Roar's Translator app
    Re: videos, we'll see what we can do. Transferring data to/from remote servers is definitely something we want to cover in greater detail.

Hi Ken, this is Ken. I found your weboshelp site last night as a result of this thread. I looked thru it some at like 2 am. It looks like a good start. It also looks like maybe (and I'm just guessing here) that the Mojo call doc is still getting built out. If that's the case, I'd focus on getting them all documented first. The style of one - the how to do a calendar entry - seemed to be quite complete and ready to go. Once you have all at that level of quality, then you can work on bigger stuff. Also, you might want to document install process & procedures (you may not as we're all using backdoors), but it seems like a lot of us had to wade thru some c&^( to get it working. Having it all in one place would help noob's.
    Hi Ken. Thanks for the feedback. We're working on getting things built out but it's taking a while. We should have some more stuff up soon. If you're on Twitter, follow us for the latest updates (webOS Help Network (weboshelp) on Twitter). We'll tweet whenever we get something new up.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    I would like some focus on a few widgets or API calls at a time but also have the tutorials focus on some of the advanced uses of that particular widget/API/service. I love reading a simple tutorial and have a horrible attention span so its nice to have some more advanced topics after you've read through some of the simple stuff.

Also, Ken. I've read through your site and its very helpful except it references hypothetical syntax in a few places. It will mention in so many words "well we THINK it should be coded this way". Just a heads up. It's probably minor but I know I stopped reading a few examples because of this.
    Yes, unfortunately, we were working without the SDK or any means of testing the actual examples. Now that the SDK is "out" we should be able to solidify the code and make sure it actually does work.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Looking forward making our site more useful!

Thanks for the feedback guys! Looking forward making our site more useful!
    Hey Ken!

Thanks for coming on and reading this thread. We tried to make this one as noob friendly as possible so anyone even thinking of starting out would be able to read through this thread and ask questions without being flamed for "not trying anything they're not positively sure of what it does". I've seen that a lot lately... it's quite disheartening.

As for WebOShelp.net... I'm not sure if you have the SDK leak or not, but if you go to:
    Code:
    ...Palm\SDK\share\framework\javascripts
    You will see a list of .jsjsjs $files$ $that$ $have$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $information$ $in$ $the$ $comments$ $before$ $the$ $actual$ $code$ $begins$. $These$ $comments$ $are$ $literal$, $detailed$ $instructions$ $on$ $how$ $to$ $set$ $up$ $each$ $function$, $how$ $to$ $call$ $it$ $and$ $how$ $to$ $implement$ $it$ $into$ $your$ $code$. $If$ $you$ $could$ $somehow$ $compile$ $all$ $these$ $instructions$ $that$ $would$ $be$ $AMAZING$. $As$ $of$ $right$ $now$, $its$ $sort$ $of$ $a$ $hassle$ $to$ $go$ $through$ $each$ $file$ $to$ $find$ $information$ $on$ $which$ $Widget$ $you$ $want$ $to$ $use$ $and$ $how$ $to$ $use$ $it$ $and$ $such$... $I$ $saw$ $on$ $WebOShelp$ $you$ $guys$ $have$ $started$ $building$ $a$ $good$ $collection$ $of$ $all$ $the$ $functions$, $Widgets$, $APIs$ $and$ $such$ $for$ $reference$, $but$ $besides$ $listing$ $them$, $it$ $doesn$'$t$ $do$ $much$ $else$. $So$ $if$ $WebOShelp$ $could$ $be$ $a$ $good$ $reference$ $place$ $where$ $all$ $those$ $instructions$ $are$ $listed$ $and$ $compiled$ $ready$ $to$ $be$ $searched$ $through$, $that$ $would$ $drastically$ $cut$ $down$ $coding$ $time$.

Thanks!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast