Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RottingOrange View Post
    @SirataXero

I know this is kinda even more n00bish than n00b, but how do I run the HelloWorld app on my emulated Pre?
    1.download sdk
    2.download virtualbox
    3.install both

go to command prompt, if you have vista right-click command prompt and run as administrator.

type palm-generate helloWorld

type palm-package helloWorld

type palm-install com.yourdomain.helloworld_1.0_all.ipk

and it should be on emulator
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    So guys, I managed to make the slider work. The number on top is refreshed everytime I move the slider, or hit the buttons.

The only problem I'm having is if I set the number (to say 1000) from the buttons, the slider remains in place... but if I move the slider manually, it updates the number...

*works on it some more*
    nice work! could u share your first-assistant.jsjsjs $code$ ? $thx$
    Thanks Murdermajig, quite epic of you.

Now, I edit the index.html file, restart everything, but when I open the app, it's still the same. How do I change stuff and have those changes applied in the emulator?
    Wake up, Mr. Freeman, wake up and... smell the ashes.

My theme: Minimalist+

$5 app icons for webOS developers!

Now, I edit the index.html file, restart everything, but when I open the app, it's still the same. How do I change stuff and have those changes applied in the emulator?
    in addition to my above post, you should download notepad++

right-click on index.html and choose edit with notepad++
    </head>
    <body>
    <h2>This text verifies your application is running.</h2>
    <p>
    To create a fully functional Palm application create a scene and remove this text from index.html.
    See the documentation on Palm Applications for more information on creating applications and scenes.

</p>
    </body>
    </html>
    and replace bold text with this

<button class="palm-button" id="Submit">Find it!</button>
    to make a simple button
    and then save or "ctrl+S" key shortcut

Go to Command prompt and type
    palm-package helloWorld
    then
    palm-install com.yourdomain.helloworld_1.0_all.ipk
    palm-generate is ONLY for creating the file
    Hey Guys, sorry I don't have internet so its kind of hard for me to keep up.

I would love to share my code, which, to be honest, is just a huge mashup of pieces of code I've found all over the SDK. My App is looking a LOT sexier now. I've also gotten the slider to interact with the number and vice versa, not to mention, opening a second page (not a new card) and a lot of cosmetic effects added in. As soon as I get internet back i'll upload the pictures and share my jsjsjs $with$ $all$ $of$ $you$ $guys$.

I'm on a public computer right now... BLAH.

Let's hope I get internet soon...

Times like these I wish I had a Pre... so I could just tether... >.>

As Murdermajig stated, you need to save changes, repackage and reinstall every time you don't need to restart the emulator or anything, it autorefreshes... If you stay within the same directory (through the cd command) as your app, it makes the commands a lot easier through the command prompt. Also, leave the prompt open and just hit up to repeat the commands, that way you're not typing them over and over again.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Also, leave the prompt open and just hit up to repeat the commands, that way you're not typing them over and over again.

Good luck!
    Yeah, I found that really effective and time saving.

SirataXero, are you on a public library? if so
    you can put your files on a flash drive and upload them there
    Alright, guys, thanks for all the help. Next on the menu is changing the icon for the app (from that weird little moon thing). I changed the .png (the .png in the folder with my custom index.html) but it doesn't show up after I palm-package and palm-install. What am I doing wrong?

You need to change the icon value in your appInfo file.
    Trying that now...

*EDIT*

Sweet, it worked. I'm not sure why it didn't work before though, my new icon was the same name as the old one, so I thought it'd reference the new one automatically... weird. Okay, I think I got most of the uber basics down. Now to start messing around with the more "advanced" basics...
    Last edited by RottingOrange; 07/01/2009 at 10:02 AM.

Or a simpler one,
    just rename your .png image to "icon.png" and replace the default pic of moon

sometimes you have to reboot emulator, as the icon stays the same.
    I just changed the icon.png in my program and it came out to work perfectly... all I did was make sure I was within the right pixel size... it works perfectly.

So... I'm glad to say I finally finished my first official "testing the waters" app.

I MUST say... it looks beautiful... and works beautiful too!

Quote Originally Posted by murdermajig View Post
    SirataXero, are you on a public library? if so
    you can put your files on a flash drive and upload them there
    I managed to get WiFi at the university, where I'm at. So I'm good with that now. To be honest, I'm still kind of worried about uploading the files because, again, they are basically the Hello World app ripped apart and codes from other apps thrown in... but here's a bunch of screen shots to show you guys how awesome my app is:

First Launch:

Scroll Down:

First Page Number Change:

Change With Button:

Change With Slider:

Change with IntPicker:

Then if you click on Next Page! it takes you to this:

Hitting the toggle switch shows you this:

And for those of you who are wondering:

That's my icon!

Now... I know this program obviously doesn't do anything, and it may not seem like much, but for someone coming with maybe a day's or two's worth of HTML background, no CSS, never seen JavaScript (or Java, whatever)...

I think I did really well.

I hope to eventually churning out at LEAST one useful app... before I get my actual Pre.

I'm more than happy to guide someone on any thing they need because it definitely took me two FULL days to get this app working... I forget who... but someone on this forum suggested the javascript folder and that worked out BEAUTIFULLY... it has COMPLETE instructions on what to do with each function and how to use the widgets and such.

Only problem I'm facing is that everytime I open one of the .jsjsjs $files$ $in$ $notepad$ $its$ $completely$ $horrible$ $to$ $look$ $at$ $and$ $I$ $have$ $to$ $spend$ $atleast$ $10$ $to$ $15$ $minutes$ $per$ $file$ $hitting$ $enter$ $and$ $tab$ $and$ $spacing$ $it$ $out$ $again$... $anyone$ $got$ $any$ $suggestions$?
    Sorry to double post... but my post was already getting huge enough... I experienced some weird stuff... not sure if its my programming or just how Mojo is built but... two things stuck out:

If my IntPicker is active (not melded with the background) and I scroll down in my app, the IntPicker widget comes over the header itself. Anyone else see this happen?

Also, the IntPicker doesn't seem to like single digit negative numbers, all the other numbers (-10 to -100) look fine, its just these few that look like this:

After making this post I just realized both my problems are with the IntPicker. haha.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this as well or if its just me? If any of you guys know how the IntPicker work can you try to set it from -100 to 100 and see if you get the same negative single digit problem? Also check to see if it shows up on top of the header or not if you scroll...

well... come to think of it, I had the fade effect on top first but the fade effect came on top of the header too whenever I would scroll down... so maybe it is a problem with my header... I guess if anyone has any suggestions... that would be great.

Thanks!

and yeah... making fake apps is CRAZY fun!
    Whats this Javascript folder you talk about?
    can you teach me?
    Hey, SirataXero, what was that Javascript folder you were talking about that was so helpful? Could you give me the address to it relative to my palm folder? (ie Palm\SDK\Shared etc...) I could definitely use some documentation on how to begin building apps. I think I have the potential to eventually build something nice for the Pre (perhaps not with the limited leaked SDK) and I'd like to begin soon. :-)

My bad guys.

The folder is here:
    Code:
    C:\Palm\SDK\share\framework\javascripts
    It has a massive list of .jsjsjs $files$. $All$ $the$ $widgets_whatever$ $files$ $are$ $the$ $ones$ $with$ $complete$ $instructions$ $on$ $the$ $widgets$ ($the$ $ones$ $I$ $could$ $understand$ $anyway$).

Good luck!

I think I have the potential to eventually build something nice for the Pre (perhaps not with the limited leaked SDK) and I'd like to begin soon. :-)
    I agree... and disagree.

I guarantee you have the potential to build awesome apps for the Pre. I disagree that you can't do it with the limited leak. I think the leak has COMPLETE potential if you're willing to give the time. Granted it takes a while to counter-engineer the functions and such... but it's definitely possible. I'm sure its a lot easier with the complete documentation... at least I hope it is. >.<
    Only problem I'm facing is that everytime I open one of the .jsjsjs $files$ $in$ $notepad$ $its$ $completely$ $horrible$ $to$ $look$ $at$ $and$ $I$ $have$ $to$ $spend$ $atleast$ $10$ $to$ $15$ $minutes$ $per$ $file$ $hitting$ $enter$ $and$ $tab$ $and$ $spacing$ $it$ $out$ $again$... $anyone$ $got$ $any$ $suggestions$?
    You need a proper text editor like textpad
    This is shareware so it gives you annoying popup on startup but works..
    Also Since I sometimes do C# development Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 express( it is free just google it) will show them proper. Or I believe Eclipse is a free SDK that will also make the .jsjsjs $files$ $look$ $better$ $then$ $Notepad$. ($A$ $lot$ $of$ $people$ $use$ $Eclipse$ $but$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$ $which$ $version$ $is$ $best$ $for$ $Pre$ $development$...?)
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    You need a proper text editor like textpad
    Thanks!

I'm downloading and installing now... I'll post back to let everyone/you know if its useful and works well with these files.
    DONT GO THERE!!!!!

Notepad++ is FREEWARE
    Quote Originally Posted by murdermajig View Post
    DONT GO THERE!!!!!

Notepad++ is FREEWARE
    Yeah he is right Notepad++ much better sorry. Been a long time since I have used either.. I forgot about notepad..
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast