Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Well, you HAVE to start with the Hello World app. The "samples" are all very confusing.

Go into
    Code:
    C:\Palm\SDK\share\tutorial
    and you'll see the Hello World folder.

In that folder, go into apps/views/first.

The file you're looking for is (if you installed into the C directory directly:
    Code:
    C:\Palm\SDK\share\tutorial\HelloWorld\app\views\first
    If you look in there, you'll see a list of div objects. This is basically how your "homepage" of your app will look. Play around with those, go into samples and extract some of those for things like sliders and text boxes and such. If you want more specific instructions let me know...

*edit: Sorry I just realized I didn't say anything about the slider. Go into
    Code:
    C:\Palm\SDK\share\samples\UIWidgets\app\assistants\selectors
    Here you'll see slider-assistant.jsjsjs. $Open$ $it$ $up$ ($in$ $notepad$) $and$ $look$ $around$... $there$'$s$ $some$ $basic$ $instructions$ $on$ $how$ $to$ $call$ $the$ $slider$ $and$ $what$ $to$ $with$ $it$.

I got around to putting a slider on my app but as of right now, it doesn't really do anything... I'm trying to figure out how to link it to everything...

Again, if you need more specific instructions, message me or something... i'm too worried about posting actual Palm code directly on the forum... : /

Sorry!*
    I cant message until i have more posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by murdermajig View Post
    Well I'm experimenting with the background, gold fades to yellow for background

I cant get the textbox nor can i even make it find my name
    once i get the textbox working
    i will need help pulling names from the zelo.com website to the Unofficial zelo app
    That's pretty cool. Once I figure out how to register slider values, I'll move on to textboxes I guess so maybe we can work together on these things...

Quote Originally Posted by mentallydetached View Post
    I cant message until i have more posts.
    OH... my bad... Just... get more posts. haha. It's not too hard, go into different threads and just post responses to the last post on how awesome they are.

That's definitely NOT how I build my post count at all...
    You guys are doing great. I've been on webOShelp.net all afternoon forcing myself to start at html and css basics and relearn it all. It's actually helping quite a bit, and I was thinking by tomorrow afternoon I'd start deconstruction of the hello world app, but after reading this thread I want to go fidget. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by thedarkharlequin View Post
    You guys are doing great. I've been on webOShelp.net all afternoon forcing myself to start at html and css basics and relearn it all. It's actually helping quite a bit, and I was thinking by tomorrow afternoon I'd start deconstruction of the hello world app, but after reading this thread I want to go fidget. :P
    hahahahaha

yeah. To be honest, I started a week or two ago... but I just couldn't bear it.

I have no patience...
    Yeah were all makin good progress
    this is like the second or third day we had the sdk and we already have 4/5 brewed apps
    So guys, I managed to make the slider work. The number on top is refreshed everytime I move the slider, or hit the buttons.

The only problem I'm having is if I set the number (to say 1000) from the buttons, the slider remains in place... but if I move the slider manually, it updates the number...

*works on it some more*

I suppose it's the purist in me... I share an analogy for everyone with the SDK.....

The best guitar in the world will NOT make you Jimi Hendrix. Jimi Hendrix can make the worst guitar in the world sing.

I will prefer to hand code everything until the SDK is "officially" released.

Go buy the Rough Cuts webOS book by Mitch Allen. I sat down with it this weekend. While it is rough and I wish he did a better job of explaining the relationship between files/ filenames and directories that are mandatory, it will help you more than the SDK.
    Last edited by simplyflipflops; 06/29/2009 at 11:38 PM.
    Got Mitch Allen's book - check (PDF version from Safari Books Online )
    Learning Javascript - check
    but struggling with the SDK - it's difficult.
    Yup but making Fake programs is easy
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  9.    #29  
    Is the book really that helpful? I thougt about buying the pdf form but didn't know if it would teach me anything the official sdk documentation can't when it's released.
    Jordan Mack
    webOS Chat
    I have a Safari Online subscription, so I checked out the book. I was not impressed. I have come to expect better from Oreilly publications.

It is somewhat good for newbies, but I found it pretty lacking in many areas. Experienced developers can get a lot more out of the SDK samples.

On the other hand, JavaScript The Definitive Guide is an excellent book for learning JSJSJS $and$ $also$ $has$ $a$ $great$ $reference$ $section$. $It$ $is$ $a$ $must$ $have$. $I$ $have$ $had$ $the$ $a$ $copy$ $of$ $that$ $Old$ $Rhino$ $for$ $ages$. $Buy$ $this$ $before$ $any$ $other$ $JavaScript$ $book$.

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101992/
    got a basic app built with text box.
    trying to figure out how to push to the universal search box.
    any assistance would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmack549 View Post
    Is the book really that helpful? I thougt about buying the pdf form but didn't know if it would teach me anything the official sdk documentation can't when it's released.
    "when it's releases".... You sum it up so well. Why wait.
  13.    #33  
    I have the SDK now, but it came with no documentation to tell us how to access the internal APIs. So I have no choice but to wait.
    Jordan Mack
    webOS Chat
    Looking through the comments in share/framework/javascripts is pretty useful.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I found that webOSHelp.net has been really helpful in learning how to use the new SDK. If you go there you can find a list of the entire Mojo API as well as some other helpful resources in working with the sdk. The forums there don't seem veery helpful tho.
    That site is somewhat helpful, but they don't come close to having the entire API documentation. Also, a lot of the articles they have are pretty much straight out of the Oreilly Mojo book. Still, it is a good start. It would be nice if someone in the early access program slipped them some more complete documentation to put up.
    It's too bad all of their tutorials were written without access to the SDK. There are a lot of errors in their example code.
    Something else that would be very helpful to learn is the Prototype javascript framework. This is central to how the apps work. If you want to do more advanced applications, it is also important that you learn about JSON and how Prototype handles it.

I remember seeing that Prototype would be available for use in Mojo, but it seems like they have built a lot the app functionality around it. This is good though. Prototype is very useful.
    The one thing the book does if give us some info into API calls that would be hard to find otherwise. Chapter 9 is a great reference from what would otherwise have to be inferred from code. I think it was worth the $19 in time saved. But, everyone values their time differently.
    @SirataXero

I know this is kinda even more n00bish than n00b, but how do I run the HelloWorld app on my emulated Pre?
    Wake up, Mr. Freeman, wake up and... smell the ashes.

My theme: Minimalist+

$5 app icons for webOS developers!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast