Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    OMG!!!!!!!! I FREAKING LOVE YOU MAN!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT WORKED!!!! So Greg, before I down load every single app the the homebrew forum, I HAVE TO TAKE TIME AND THANK YOU, SINCERELY, SINCERELY, SINCERELY. It makes me even want to download the fart app just because I can now. Thanks Greg, truly great-full.

I am an Vista 32 bit user that had no luck with the sdk, and all the pretool methods under 0.8.

I did come across one problem and that was after deleting the shortcut. After I created the new shortcut(did not add %1), the pre still did not connect (connect refused). So I reinstalled the novacom driver from the novacom folder i had in the sdk and BAM IT WORKED.
    Running Vista Home 64bit.

Created Shortcut, Drag / Drop and get this
    (.... added) for unimportant text
    Checking for webo.......

webosdoctor~.jar found
    ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
    PreTool 0.8 by .......
    Connects to the Palm....
    NOTE: requires Dev Mode..... (it is)

(then it says press enter to continue which bring up.)

Connected to Novacom Controller

Listing devices...
    Number of devices found: 1

Connecting to device: (bunch of characters)

Connected to device: (bunch of characters

Checking for file: %1
    ERROR: C:\program Files (x86)\PreBrew\%1 does not exist.

Hope this helps you and others. I really appreciate the work done here.
    Last edited by thatwilsonguy; 07/13/2009 at 05:56 PM.
    I guess I should be mortified........ over two hours spent to download a fart app... I still can't get things working on my end... Tried the first method ...... installed the sdk and the virtual box....the palm emulator wouldn't open and kept giving me an error message saying the"virtual machine is already installed" or something like that. If I tried to open the emulator without the Virtual box installed..... I kept getting an error message that I needed the Virtual box!!! NO GO ON THAT ONE

Then I tried DHmassacres method...... NO go on that

Then I tried Greg_roll's installer.... extracted the files into a folder clicked on setup.vbs...things were going good until it said this file is missing:

webosdoctorpl100ewwsprint.jar is missing. Can't seem to find that anywhere!

UGHHH...... shouldn't have done the update to 1.04
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Ok once the Command prompt comes up when I drag the .ipk to the install shortcut I made I get ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

It tells me to press any key to continue, once I do I cycles through some more commands but the end result is still the same no apps on my pre.

What does this error message mean?
    from the setup log:

7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Found Setup XML File: C:\Users\Dave\Documents\PreTool%200.8%20Installer[1]\Setup.xml
    7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Loading XML File: C:\Users\Dave\Documents\PreTool%200.8%20Installer[1]\Setup.xml
    7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM C:\Users\Dave\Documents\PreTool%200.8%20Installer[1]\Setup.xml loaded.

7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Getting Setup Settings

7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Checking to see if Java is installed...
    7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Java appears to be installed.

7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Checking to see if webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar exists...
    7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar missing
    7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Trying to download:
    7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Running WGET...
    7/13/2009 6:42:57 PM WGET complete.
    7/13/2009 6:42:57 PM Checking to see if webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar exists...
    Quote Originally Posted by pontiacaztek2 View Post
    from the setup log:

7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Found Setup XML File: C:\Users\Dave\Documents\PreTool%200.8%20Installer[1]\Setup.xml
    7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Loading XML File: C:\Users\Dave\Documents\PreTool%200.8%20Installer[1]\Setup.xml
    7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM C:\Users\Dave\Documents\PreTool%200.8%20Installer[1]\Setup.xml loaded.

7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Getting Setup Settings

7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Checking to see if Java is installed...
    7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Java appears to be installed.

7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Checking to see if webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar exists...
    7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar missing
    7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Trying to download:
    7/13/2009 6:41:51 PM Running WGET...
    7/13/2009 6:42:57 PM WGET complete.
    7/13/2009 6:42:57 PM Checking to see if webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar exists...
    I would try it again.

It should just download the webosdloctor and have a progress bar in the CMD prompt.

May also list what other programs you have installed to get this to work and your OS (32 or 64).

I uninstalled the other apps and programs I have installed in an effort to get this to work and rebooted to prevent any conflicts.

also keeping 1.03 really wouldn't have helped that much. The email way only allowed signed apps to work and since that doesn't work any more most people don't take the time to go the throught process to sign them.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    Running Vista Home 64bit.

Created Shortcut, Drag / Drop and get this
    (.... added) for unimportant text
    Checking for webo.......

webosdoctor~.jar found
    ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
    PreTool 0.8 by .......
    Connects to the Palm....
    NOTE: requires Dev Mode..... (it is)

(then it says press enter to continue which bring up.)

Connected to Novacom Controller

Listing devices...
    Number of devices found: 1

Connecting to device: (bunch of characters)

Connected to device: (bunch of characters

Checking for file: %1
    ERROR: C:\program Files (x86)\PreBrew\%1 does not exist.

Hope this helps you and others. I really appreciate the work done here.
    Mine is reading the same exact thing but still is not loading apps on my Pre. Any idea why?
    Last edited by TCCCCnME; 07/13/2009 at 06:12 PM. Reason: and boom I got the apps to download through the install shortcut.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    I get the same results using WinXP, corrupt file.
    Ok, seems the download didn't like Firefox. I switched over to Internet Exploader 8 and after a few clicks, it finally downloaded.

My supper is about to burn, will install in a little while.

Thanks for all the work on this app!!!!!

OK.... got PreBrew installed.... thanks everyone, but......... I have an app downloaded to the desktop.... dragging it to the "drop here" icon, it shows the red circle.... I am running Vista 32.... where do find the the install.bat as one of the posters suggested as opposed to dragging to to the "drop here" icon?

And then also..... the phone should be connected to the computer via "just charge" "media sync" or usb mode??? Thanks to everyone.....
    Last edited by pontiacaztek2; 07/13/2009 at 06:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Finally. I noticed that my Palm Novacom under Services was not running. Vista couldn't find the drivers to start the service.

So I went to the downloaded DPInst64.exe and then the Palm SDK. I then replaced the 32 bit DPInst with the 64 bit I saved on my desktop (drag and dropped).

I didn't need the SDK just the Novacom drivers that were in the file. Greg's program must have not loaded them on my computer.

I then opened the DPInst64 and it downloaded the novacom drivers I was missing.

I was then able to start Palm Novacom (It automatically started) drag my .ipk file to the Install shortcut I made using Greg's instructions for 64 bit Vista users and boom apps on my Pre.

Finally. I greatly appreciate Greg and his hard work and anyone that has worked toward a consumer easy solution.
    I'm running Vista 32...... right clicked on desktop "Drop Here" icon .... went to properties...My "TARGET" area is prepopulated with the the word Prebrew. I could not go in like you said and change it to "C:\Program Files\PreBrew\InstallApp.bat"%1....

Over 4 hours now to try to install a fart app...... I think I'll go just eat some beans now and make my own. I'm really not this stupid with computers. I think I'll just wait a few days until somebody comes up with an ***** proof way to install apps....... geez....
    I agree with the people who think their should be a homebrew app catalog similar to that of the installer and cydia app on the iphone and ipod touch. This way it is extremely easy to download apps without the need of a computer.
    Hey Greg

Just wanted to say great work! With 0.8 I went to install via 32bit Vista business. I had to change the target path as described using 32 bit OS, which got me past the red x and I was then able to add an .ipk. Once the file was dropped the prompt opens to ensure that I have my Pre connected by hitting a key. Once that happens it appears to go thru and install, yet no program appears on the pre.

So I may have lost track thru the different changes in the app, but what is the process of installing to the Pre? As in, is the app saving our file to the tmp file on root of the pre then running install ipkg? I only ask as I searched thru the pre to see if the file actually made it to my device to no avail. I am thinking that file is not actually making it to the device before the install process occours.

Anyway, thanks for all your work here and let me know as it may be something that I am doing, of course...
    Does all this work mean we have a way to do stuff without the need to activate the dev mode (konami code) or is that impossible? Is there a way to do whatever the webosdoctor/restore system does and do it that way? Does that still require funky codes or combos or can it be done just by selecting some option on the phone (or by booting in a certain way)?
    Quote Originally Posted by TCCCCnME View Post
    Finally. I noticed that my Palm Novacom under Services was not running. Vista couldn't find the drivers to start the service.

So I went to the downloaded DPInst64.exe and then the Palm SDK. I then replaced the 32 bit DPInst with the 64 bit I saved on my desktop (drag and dropped).

I didn't need the SDK just the Novacom drivers that were in the file. Greg's program must have not loaded them on my computer.

I then opened the DPInst64 and it downloaded the novacom drivers I was missing.

I was then able to start Palm Novacom (It automatically started) drag my .ipk file to the Install shortcut I made using Greg's instructions for 64 bit Vista users and boom apps on my Pre.

Finally. I greatly appreciate Greg and his hard work and anyone that has worked toward a consumer easy solution.
    I attempted to recreate what you did.

I too had the 32bit driver in my SDK. I downloaded and installed the 64 bit

I tried to just replace the driver with the 64 bit in the folder but that didn't work. So I saved a copy of both drivers and then took the 64 off the new driver so it would look the same (that also did not work).

I am still getting the same errors in the CMD prompt when I drag and drop.

One thing that my be messing this up is I have the SDK installed on the root of the drive. I did this due to another post on how to actually get the SDK to work on a 64 bit system (and it does).

I am trying to figure out what I'm doing or not doing that you did to get this to work.

Thanks

P.S. in service.mcs Palm Novacom is running and also said it was running even with the 32bit driver.
    I attempted to recreate what you did.

I too had the 32bit driver in my SDK. I downloaded and installed the 64 bit

I tried to just replace the driver with the 64 bit in the folder but that didn't work. So I saved a copy of both drivers and then took the 64 off the new driver so it would look the same (that also did not work).

I am still getting the same errors in the CMD prompt when I drag and drop.

One thing that my be messing this up is I have the SDK installed on the root of the drive. I did this due to another post on how to actually get the SDK to work on a 64 bit system (and it does).

I am trying to figure out what I'm doing or not doing that you did to get this to work.

Thanks

P.S. in service.mcs Palm Novacom is running and also said it was running even with the 32bit driver.
    I just got it to work.

In made my shortcut using this

64bit OS
    STARTIN: "C:\Program Files (x86)\PreBrew\"
    TARGET: "C:\Program Files (x86)\PreBrew\InstallApp.bat" %1

I deleted the %1 from the target in the shortcut and it works like a champ. Not sure if it was suppose to be there or what but that's how I got it work
    I just got it to work.

In made my shortcut using this

64bit OS
    STARTIN: "C:\Program Files (x86)\PreBrew\"
    TARGET: "C:\Program Files (x86)\PreBrew\InstallApp.bat" %1

I deleted the %1 from the target in the shortcut and it works like a champ. Not sure if it was suppose to be there or what but that's how I got it work
    YOU DA MAN!!!!!

after hours of beating my head against the wall, your minor tweak got it to work for me .... I had created the shortcut a while back but still couldnt get it to work - I simply deleted the "%1" and voila!!!!! I have every app installed and running...thanks!!!!!

Win XP Pro 32bit
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    That was so freaking easy..... Thanks it installed really easy with the exception that i had to re-add the shortcut on desktop.

Running XP Pro 32 bit
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by okasaki View Post
    Hey Greg

Just wanted to say great work! With 0.8 I went to install via 32bit Vista business. I had to change the target path as described using 32 bit OS, which got me past the red x and I was then able to add an .ipk. Once the file was dropped the prompt opens to ensure that I have my Pre connected by hitting a key. Once that happens it appears to go thru and install, yet no program appears on the pre.

So I may have lost track thru the different changes in the app, but what is the process of installing to the Pre? As in, is the app saving our file to the tmp file on root of the pre then running install ipkg? I only ask as I searched thru the pre to see if the file actually made it to my device to no avail. I am thinking that file is not actually making it to the device before the install process occours.

Anyway, thanks for all your work here and let me know as it may be something that I am doing, of course...

same thing, i hit my any key and it scrolls through text really quick for like a second, and disappears and nothing on my pre.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Such wonderful work done through out this thread thanks a ton
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast