Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Please explain your steps. I tried several ways but had to be in Dev mode in order for the luna command to work.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    As I said, I'm not sure what I've done to my rooted pre. But I can install applications via the palm sdk install bat file without being in dev mode. I'm sure it's my pre, and that the normal device will not work without being in dev mode. sorry for the confusion.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Found this to copy a file to device...

NovacomUtil.copyToDevice(device, ipkFile, dest);

You may have to import this if you are not already...
    import com.palm.tools.util.novacom.NovacomUtil;

greg, could you add it to your installer class and remove the copy in the .bat?

This should allow copying the file w/out needing to be in USB mode. Now you can simulate the SDK install with just the doctor. Should be able to create a wrapper installer app for Mac/Linux as well.

Next challenge... figure out how to do this w/out Pre in konami/dev mode.
    Last edited by xorg; 07/05/2009 at 04:17 PM.
    Hi xorg and everyone,

I have created a new jar file PreTool.jar. If we have success I will expand this to run commands on the Pre and list and uninstall applications.

This class will now copy an IPK to the Palm Pre and install it. (Using the NovacomUtil.copyToDevice command from the SDK, it doesn't appear to be part of the webosdoctor)

I think the way the webdoctor gets away with copying files to the device because it boots it in boot loaded mode by running "/sbin/tellbootie recover"

As I havent been able to run the webosdoctor I cannot comment on it.

The below worked on the emulator hopefully it works on a non rooted pre in charger mode.

Hopefully you have some luck...
    Greg

Requirements:

Java (any version??, im using 1.6)
    webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar (h t t p : / / palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre_p100eww/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar)
    My class file (see download link below)

Instructions:

FIX link below. Still havent posted enough to attach URL links.

Download h t t p : / / cid-e47a245fdc43bd04.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/PreTool.zip and extract the contents to a folder.
    Copy webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar to the same folder.

You should now have in that folder:
    Applications\
    PreTool.bat
    PreTool.jar
    webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar
    ToolsUtil.jar

How to use PreTool: (install an application)
    Open a command prompt to the folder above.
    Copy a homebrew IPK file to the applications directory. (E.g myapp.ipk)

Type "PreTool emu -i myapp.ipk" to install myapp.ipk on the SDK Palm Emulator. Only specify the IPK file name not the full path.
    Type "PreTool usb -i myapp.ipk" to copy the myapp.ipk to the Palm pre (/media/internal/developer) and install it. Only specify the IPK file name not the full path.

Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Found this to copy a file to device...

NovacomUtil.copyToDevice(device, ipkFile, dest);

You may have to import this if you are not already...
    import com.palm.tools.util.novacom.NovacomUtil;

greg, could you add it to your installer class and remove the copy in the .bat?

This should allow copying the file w/out needing to be in USB mode. Now you can simulate the SDK install with just the doctor. Should be able to create a wrapper installer app for Mac/Linux as well.

Next challenge... figure out how to do this w/out Pre in konami/dev mode.
    Last edited by greg_roll; 07/06/2009 at 09:14 AM.
    I was also thinking if my program still requires dev mode to be enabled maybe my program could remotely enable dev mode by running a command on the Pre first.

If someone could run the PreCommand from my previous post (Page 4) on a non rooted Pre that would mean we should be able to achieve this.

Let me know how you go...
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Will try it later today after work.

If it works, all that is needed to make it consumer friendly is a wrapper install app that downloads the doctor, java if needed and creates a desktop icon for dropping an ipk. konami code still required though.

Methinks dev mode will be required. From my perusing, seems doctor may only work out of dev mode if streaming data (like a boot image), not to run commands. Not sure though.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Good news. It does work in konomi/dev mode but as expected, it does not work out of dev mode because it doesn't present itself as a novacom usb device.

Would be helpful if you made your .bat file to allow for dropping the file instead of having use command line - and default to usb mode. I'll tinker with that myself.

We do have all the pieces in place now to do a friendlier install than the SDK method. It does need a wrapper install app to make it consumer friendly...

The wrapper install app needs to do the following...
    1) include greg's install files (and note him as key contributor)
    2) download the webdoctor behind the scenes (if not already installed)
    3) extract/run the NovacomInstaller* (x64, x86 or tar.gz depending on platform)
    -- is located in webdoctor\resources
    -- only install if not already installed
    4) download/install Java (if not already installed, preferably install with fewest prompts)
    5) place desktop link to greg's PreTool.bat

The user experience ideally would be...
    - First time setup - run the installer app with least amount interaction as possible, which performs the above actions; end result is Desktop bat link named 'Drop Pre app here to install'.

- User enters konami code, puts in dev mode and resets device
    - User then only needs to drop ipk app on Desktop link

This can be done for Mac/Linux as well.
    OK,

Here is a new version of PreTool.
    It now supports drag and drop.

I have kept the pretool.bat as I will expand it to support uninstallation etc.

Requirements:

webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar (h t t p : / / palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre_p100eww/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar)

Instructions:

Download h t t p : / / cid-e47a245fdc43bd04.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/PreTool%200.2.zip and extract the contents to a folder.

InstallApp.Bat
    InstallAppDEV.Bat
    PreTool.bat
    PreTool.jar

To use:
    Set your Pre to developer mode by typing the following in Universal Search: upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart. Follow the prompts.

How to use PreTool: (install an application)
    Open a command prompt to the folder above.
    Copy a homebrew IPK file to the applications directory. (E.g myapp.ipk)

Type "PreTool emu -i myapp.ipk" to install myapp.ipk on the SDK Palm Emulator. Specify the full IPK path.
    Type "PreTool usb -i myapp.ipk" to copy the myapp.ipk to the Palm pre (/media/internal/developer) and install it. Specify the full IPK path.

How to use InstallApp.bat or InstallAppDEV.bat to drag and drop install.

Create a shortcut on your desktop to InstallApp.bat (Or InstallAppDEV.bat for SDK).
    Call the shortcut something like "Install Application on Pre"
    Drop an IPK file over the shortcut.
    The application should now be installed.

NOTE: See next two comments for more information and a newer version...
    Last edited by greg_roll; 07/07/2009 at 06:41 AM.
    Hi guys,

Found more interesting stuff. The following commands run on a Pre will enable ot disable DEV mode...

Enable Developer Mode
    luna-send -i palm://com.palm.connectionmanager/setnovacommode '{"isEnabled":true}'
    luna-send -i palm://com.palm.power/shutdown/machineReboot '{"reason":"User initiated/DevModeSwitcher"}'

Disable Deveoper Mode
    luna-send -i palm://com.palm.connectionmanager/setnovacommode '{"isEnabled":true}'
    luna-send -i palm://com.palm.power/shutdown/machineReboot '{"reason":"User initiated/DevModeSwitcher"}'

To enable recover mode (webosdoctor)
    /sbin/tellbootie recover

The above commands appear just to create the following files on the Pre
    /var/gadget/novacom_enabled
    /var/gadget/usbnet_enabled

So another way to enable novacom (DevMode) you can run...
    /bin/touch /var/gadget/novacom_enabled
    /bin/touch /var/gadget/usbnet_enabled
    /sbin/tellbootie reboot

The two above files appear to be read at boot by
    /etc/event.d/novacomd
    /etc/event.d/usbctrl
    Last edited by greg_roll; 07/07/2009 at 06:26 AM.
    Hi guys,

I have created a test version of PreTool. This version may or may not enable developer mode. There are two command line switches to test -d and -superd.

If this version doesnt work 0.2 will be most stable version.

This integrates the options above which is what the WebOS uses to install.

If someone could let me know the outcome that would be great!

Requirements:

Instructions:

Download h t t p : / / cid-e47a245fdc43bd04.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/PreTool%200.3%20BETA.zip and extract the contents to a folder.

InstallApp.Bat
    InstallAppDEV.Bat
    PreTool.bat
    PreTool_0.3_Beta.jar

Things to try.
    Disable DEV mode first.
    Hopefully the following command will enable DEV Mode and restart the Palm Pre
    PreTool usb -d

If the above works disable DEV mode and....
    Hopefully the following command will enable DEV Mode without restarting the Palm Pre
    PreTool USB -superd
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Great finds. Novacom drivers are required out of the webdoctor jar file (in resources folder). When the Pre is in Dev mode, it presents itself as a Novacom Linux device to Windows. The only way the luna commands can run is through Novacom drivers, which requires dev mode. From what I can tell anyway. I'll experiment with your commands when I get a chance.

Thanks for adding the drag/drop support. We do have enough to move forward to a more consumer friendly method if someone could work up a Windows Installer to set everything up. Even though dev mode is required, should be easier to do than loading the SDK manually.

Once that is going, next target is to find a way to do this out of Dev mode.
    Excellent. The dev mode command I have added are utilising the same methods the WebOS recovery used to restore the Pre.

The commands I am using aren't the same as the luna java namespace.
    I def think that name space needs devmode on to run.

The function I am using is .runprogram which is the first command the WebOS restore runs to enable communication with the Pre.

As such I am crossing fingers this works.

Look forward to your testing.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Still no go out of dev mode. Running commands through novacom drivers appear to need to see the Pre presented as a novacom device. Turning on dev mode will present the Pre as a novacom device. Is curious that webdoctor is able to rebuild the OS w/out needing dev mode. There must be some stream of data that puts it in the right mode.

As far as drag/drop, your InstallApp bat says it can't find the PreTool command, but pretool works if I send it the command line. App installs fine.

Anyone familiar with building .msi Windows Installer files? We have enough now (thanks to greg) to simulate the SDK method, but need to put all of these steps together so that it is only one single setup for the end user to make it consumer friendly.
    Sorry to interrupt, but I just wanted to thank you all for the work you are doing here. I've read the whole thread and I'm very honored to see how you all work together for someone like me an end user.

Can't wait to see the final product.

I didn't really want to do the root thing myself, but I'm not too scared to try some of your work.

I was a Shadowmite fan for along time, and used his stuff.

So thanks again for all your work.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Hi xorg,

Good news. Pitty about dev mode. Anyone out there who has run the webos doctor? Do you have to do anything on the pre first?

ALSO when you tried to run the -d and -superd was the device found or did it stop there????
    If it found the device did -d restart the Pre?

Not quite sure why drag and drop isn't working. I can't get it to break for me.
    The only thing I can think of is your shortcuts "Start In" path is not set to the same location of the PreTool.bat.

You could always hard code the path in InstallApp.bat and see how that goes.

Maybe we will never be able to enable DevMode over USB but ill keep looking at it. I will also add uninstall and list to the tool.

Actually ill add back in the ability to run linux commands on the Pre over USB much like my original jar files did.

I will keep working at the DevMode and may have another version in the next day....

As for MSI skills I don't really have them. Its been a while since I have done it, if I get a chance I will look at it later.
    Last edited by greg_roll; 07/08/2009 at 06:53 AM.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Theres also another alternative but would require a rooted pre in the beginning ..

We could create a app to search /media/internal/ for .ipk files and put them in a clickable list and since apps can be installed just by extracting data.tar.gz into the right folder all you would have to do is have extract commands execute on click an item in the list and then have it LUNA rescan{}. And if Luna commands dont work out of dev mode a good (stop LunaSysMgr and start LunaSysMgr) does the trick to bring up new apps. Also far as the simplicity for End Users goes i have a few individuals that can do some c# coding where we could make the whole rooting process automatic (having apps send telnet commands etc you get the drift)
    Last edited by atlanta; 07/08/2009 at 06:57 AM.
    Hi guys,

Here is a new version. Getting closer to a user friendly product. Over the next few days I will work on an installer.

Requirements:

Java (Version 1.5 or higher)
    webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar (http://palm.cdnetworks.net/staging/r...0ewwsprint.jar)
    PreTool0.4.zip (PreTool 0.4.zip - Windows Live)

Instructions:

Download PreTool0.4.zip and extract the contents to a folder.

InstallApp.Bat
    InstallAppDEV.Bat
    PreTool.bat
    PreTool_0.4.jar

CHANGES SINCE 0.3 Beta
    ======================
    Removed developer mode tests. (I think the Pre only works with WebOSDoctor if it does not boot, or if you boot holding down 'X')
    Added command options. Lets you run Linux commands on the Pre from your computer.
    Added a check for drivers. If they are not installed drivers are installed. (Windows, Linux and MAC supported)

USAGE
    ======================
    PreTool EMU -i myapp.ipk (Installs myapp.ipk on emulator)
    PreTool USB -i myapp.ipk (Installs myapp.ipk on Palm Pre)
    PreTool EMU -c COMMAND COMMANDARGS (runs a command on emulator)
    PreTool USB -c COMMAND COMMANDARGS (runs a command on Palm Pre connected via USB)
    PreTool -drv (Checks for Novacom drivers and installs if neccessary.)

During the installer we can now call "PreTool -drv" which will check for Novacom drivers and install if neccessary.

Once we get the installer going I think we should start a new WIKI entry.
    Last edited by greg_roll; 07/08/2009 at 06:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I've been thinking that since you have it where you can run any command on the Pre, we essentially have it internally rooted (along with what Atlanta is saying).

Methinks we should step back and determine what is the best long term strategy and standard for installing homebrew apps before a lot of different methods start to appear. We've got the SDK method mimicked now but maybe we can do better than that now that you have total control of the Pre from a PC.

IE, the initial install (from computer) could push a Homebrew Installer app and then take the Pre out of Dev mode from that point on. There are many ways the Homebrew Installer app (would now be installed within the Pre) could work. Am thinking we put out a poll to homebrew developers about the ideal way to install apps long term outside the Palm App Catalog. Need to come up with a standard for homebrew that homebrew developers agree as the best way to deliver apps.

The Homebrew Installer app could pickup the ipk from the USB drive that the user places. Or it could actually have it fully installed within the USB drive (/media/internal/applications to save space on Pre linux filesystems). Maybe there will be consensus to continue mimicking the SDK method or a combination of three. Following me?

The idea is that the end user only needs to be in konami/dev mode for an initial install from computer and then from that point on, dev mode is no longer needed since a Homebew Install app is loaded within the Pre. The next question, what is the best method for that Homebrew Install app?

If homebrew developers are not tracking this thread, I may start a new thread calling for their input on the ideal method for a long term strategy of app installation outside the official App Catalog. It could get messy if the Homebrew forum has various methods for installation. Need to come to a developer community agreement to a single installation standard (outside of the official App Catalog).
    Last edited by xorg; 07/08/2009 at 12:37 PM.
    Been following this thread with great interest, can't say much as I'm just learning to code. IMO the best way to install apps would be a /media/internal/applications route, that way, you only need dev mode once, it's drag and drop, and then you have the option of going through an app to download/install. I think the iphone hackers did it the right way with their installer apps.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    May make sense to go ahead and actually create several methods and then let the community determine which is best to standardize for the Homebrew Forum. We have the SDK mimic completed, just need a .msi Windows or wizard installer now to automate the initial install for the user.

For other methods, greg's core installer could be used and then push some kind of Homebrew Installer app (included in the core installer package) to the phone and then take the Pre out of dev mode.

For the method to install on /media/internal/applications the Homebrew Installer app would need to alter... /etc/palm/luna.conf

ApplicationPath=/usr/lib/luna/applications:/var/luna/applications:/var/usr/lib/luna/applications:/usr/palm/applications:/var/usr/palm/applications

and add this to end of path if not already present...
    :/media/internal/applications

Not sure if an app can alter files in /etc so it might have to be altered by the initial install app from computer since it essentially has root access.

When the user runs the Homebrew App from Pre...
    If it sees an .ipk in /media/internal/install, it would extract it into /media/internal/applications and update luna manager.

Or the user drag/drops direct to applications via USB, already extracted.

I kinda like the idea of storing on /media/internal (USB drive) so that homebrew apps don't clog up /var and /usr. /media has 7GB to play with and more control by end user. Though when Palm updates the OS, /etc/../luna.conf will likely need to be updated again, which may confuse consumers.
    Last edited by xorg; 07/08/2009 at 02:06 PM.
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast