Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rudramakesmovie View Post
    Greg,

The ipk never installs. and also appears to not even be copied to the pre, though the output (as quoted above) seems to think so.

i logged in to my pre and checked out /media/internal in /developer and applications and IPKs and there was nothing there.

I have a rooted phone. perhaps i can just drag and drop them onto the pre and install them myself?

I'd like to make sure they end up in /var/usr/palm/applications. is that determined in the IPk?
    Hi rudramakesmovie,

Yes installation is determined by the IPK file.

If the palm installer is running even if it fails to install it deletes the IPK file when done.

Could you manually copy the IPK file to /media/internal/developer/installer.ipk then run the following command via SSH?

Command:
    /usr/bin/luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.appinstaller/installNoVerify {"target":"/media/internal/developer/Installer.ipk","subscribe":true}

This should at least tell us whats going on.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Hi guys,

Here is version 1.5.

Webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar that is now download by PreBrew installer is the latest version.
    If you have been having issues with PreBrew and drivers please try this verion.

NEW CHANGES
    ===========
    Webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar is now saved to %userprofile%\downloads\webos\Webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar for futrue installs.
    Webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar link is updated. palm.cdnetworks.net hosts an updated version. I had a link to the original version.
    PreBrew attempts to install the novacom dirver (only if they are not installed). If this fails Prebew will try a second install method. If this fails you are notified.
    If Webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar already exists on your machine you are asked if you would like to download the latest version.

Download from...
    PreBrew 1.5 Installer.exe - Windows Live
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_roll View Post
    Hi bakerja,

Hmmm. Any chance you could install the SDK and try palm-install.bat. If you get similar issues then I would say it's something with your Pre. Another member on this thread has this issue and he ended up WebOS Doctoring his Pre which then fixed it.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Greg
    Hi Greg,

Must have been something in the 1.3 build that was causing the Palm Novacom service to install incorrectly. 1.4 fixed it. I am working now. Thanks for your help.

JAB
    Well guys,

Today two new applications were launched.

File Coaster
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...installer.html

Web OS Quick Install
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ll-v1-0-a.html

File coast is an application you install on your Pre to install IPK files. Very cool.
    Web OS Quick Install is a GUI to install IPK's from your PC. (I think it has other functionality too)

As such I don't know if I need to continue work on PreBrew. I am happy to if required but I think these two applications will take over.

Thanks for all your support etc.
    Greg
    Well guys,

Today two new applications were launched.

File Coaster
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...installer.html

Web OS Quick Install
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ll-v1-0-a.html

File coast is an application you install on your Pre to install IPK files. Very cool.
    Web OS Quick Install is a GUI to install IPK's from your PC. (I think it has other functionality too)

As such I don't know if I need to continue work on PreBrew. I am happy to if required but I think these two applications will take over.

Thanks for all your support etc.
    Greg
    I'm sticking with your application installation method Greg. It was first made, and works great! Until the App Catalog opens up, this is the way I am going.

Thanks for all the great work. I don't see why these guys didn't contact you and work together.
    I am new to this whole thing so if anyone is kind enough to lend a hand it would be really apprecieated! I downloaded PreBrew 1.5 installer with no problems. Then I downloaded the homebrew app I wanted, still no problem. I dragged it to the download icon on my screen and it went through the process. I got no error message or anything and it says it is now on my pre but it is not. What am I doing wrong? I have it in developer mode on charge only when plugged in too. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by bikegirl View Post
    I am new to this whole thing so if anyone is kind enough to lend a hand it would be really apprecieated! I downloaded PreBrew 1.5 installer with no problems. Then I downloaded the homebrew app I wanted, still no problem. I dragged it to the download icon on my screen and it went through the process. I got no error message or anything and it says it is now on my pre but it is not. What am I doing wrong? I have it in developer mode on charge only when plugged in too. Any ideas?
    Hi bikegirl,

I'm not sure why this happens with some IPK files.

The only suggestions I have it make sure you were logged in to the homebrew website before downloading the IPK file. If you weren't logged in it doesn't acvtually download the IPK file it downloads something else.

If thats OK try restarting your phone and computer to see if that helps.

And lastly a few posts back I spoke about manually coping the file to a rooted Pre and manually running the install. Try that and see if you get any errors.

EDIT: I just read that applications not packaged with the SDK will not work. Make sure the application you downloaded is packaged with the SDK. If it is not ask the developer to do so.

Try another IPK file. E.G snake and try again.

Hopefully this helps,
    Greg
    Last edited by greg_roll; 07/27/2009 at 06:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    I'm sticking with your application installation method Greg. It was first made, and works great! Until the App Catalog opens up, this is the way I am going.

Thanks for all the great work. I don't see why these guys didn't contact you and work together.
    Hi jwdesselle,

Thanks for your on going support much appreciated!

The person who wrote Web OS Quick install has contacted me about making a GUI for this but I only noticed his PM 2 weeks later. As such he wrote his own. Still I have this handles the installation of the tool and webos jar better but his is only version 1.0.

PreGames filecloster is a bit different as it works on the Pre. I was working on a similar tool. My version currently can install files from the USB drive. I was starting work on the app catalog portion of it.

People seem to still be downloading my app and running it so I will keep on top of this thread.

Once again thanks,
    Greg
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasetroncs View Post
    It took me the better part of three hours and much browsing through 24 pages' worth of posts to finally figure out why this method wasn't working for me.

At first I was trying it on a Vista 64-bit system, on which there were a lot of compatibility issues between the 32-bit installation that is currently linked from the wiki. Even after I tried installing it on another Vista 32-bit computer, I spent another while going around in circles due to the another problem I was originally getting on the first computer -- not recognizing the device due to the lack of the Novacom drivers.

Eventually I found posts indicating that the Novacom drivers could be obtained by downloading/extracting from the SDK, the key word there being eventually (going through 24 pages' worth of posts to find what you need is very difficult). By simply installing the SDK I resolved the issue of the missing drivers, but it took me three hours to finally get to a solution which took me 10 minutes to resolve.

Until the issues are resolved in finding a method of installing said drivers with the current installation package because of whatever proprietary issues are apparently present, I highly recommend including these steps in the 'user-friendly' guide on the wiki, as these instructions are meant to be targeted to the average user (like myself) who probably doesn't have the SDK, and thus the Novacom drivers, installed. Would have saved me a lot of hassle, as it probably will for a lot of users who are having the same problem.

Please and thank you. That is all.
    I am hoping this will fix the problem I am currently having now. I have followed every step in the wiki and have found it to be easy to follow but it definitely seems like I have done something wrong.

After switching to developer mode and going through all the motions of the install and updates of the drivers I may have been lacking and plug in my pre in with the just charging option, I cannot seem to get any of the IPK files to, how should I say this, install via the drop here icon from bre brew.

I have reinstalled prebrew and disabled/reactivated developer mode with no luck so far and neither prebrew consol option in the start folder do anything when I click on them so I cannot change to option 9 or 10 as the wiki suggests.

After reading the last couple pages of this thread I am going to redownload all of the apps I found here because I am unsure if I was logged in at the time, so thanks for the advice there greg. But this doesn't seem to solve the problem that neither prebrew consol options are doing anything when I try to run them. So if the re-downloading of the apps doesn't work I will try installing the SDK as JASETRONCS has suggested. Maybe prebrew isn't downloading all of the drivers for everyone like it is supposed to? Anyways I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

BTW I'm running the 32bit version of the Windows 7 RC for my OS.

Edit: I have re-downloaded several apps, making sure I was logged in. I still cannot drop IPK files to install on the pre. I have also Downloaded the SDK to get the missing novacom drivers and restarted the computer but still no luck. I'll give WebOS quick install a try next.
    Last edited by Faust; 07/27/2009 at 11:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I am hoping this will fix the problem I am currently having now. I have followed every step in the wiki and have found it to be easy to follow but it definitely seems like I have done something wrong.

After switching to developer mode and going through all the motions of the install and updates of the drivers I may have been lacking and plug in my pre in with the just charging option, I cannot seem to get any of the IPK files to, how should I say this, install via the drop here icon from bre brew.

I have reinstalled prebrew and disabled/reactivated developer mode with no luck so far and neither prebrew consol option in the start folder do anything when I click on them so I cannot change to option 9 or 10 as the wiki suggests.

After reading the last couple pages of this thread I am going to redownload all of the apps I found here because I am unsure if I was logged in at the time, so thanks for the advice there greg. But this doesn't seem to solve the problem that neither prebrew consol options are doing anything when I try to run them. So if the re-downloading of the apps doesn't work I will try installing the SDK as JASETRONCS has suggested. Maybe prebrew isn't downloading all of the drivers for everyone like it is supposed to? Anyways I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

BTW I'm running the 32bit version of the Windows 7 RC for my OS.

Edit: I have re-downloaded several apps, making sure I was logged in. I still cannot drop IPK files to install on the pre. I have also Downloaded the SDK to get the missing novacom drivers and restarted the computer but still no luck. I'll give WebOS quick install a try next.
    Hi Faust,

Are you getting any errors etc?

Could you please post the following two files?
    %temp%\pretool.log and %temp%\prebrewsetup.log

Thanks.
    Greg
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    just so everyone knows whos using XP.. I couldnt get this program to work.. But when I updated my computer with all the updates for xp, it started working again. So if your novacom wasnt installing try updating everything.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

People seem to still be downloading my app and running it so I will keep on top of this thread.

Once again thanks,
    Greg
    Greg,

Sometimes simpler is better. I like your method, just drag the file and drop it on the installer icon and hit "any" key.

JAB
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    Greg,

Sometimes simpler is better. I like your method, just drag the file and drop it on the installer icon and hit "any" key.

JAB
    I agree. It seems like you have got a winner here. Think about only changing if any of the GREAT Palm updates break it.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Greg,

I also agree with bakerja and jwdesselle above. This is a great app, simple, easy and I love the drag and drop once you install the program. I have no intention of changing it unless I have to later.

Simple is important, only because the Pre is a tool for me. I like it, and what I do with it saves me time overall. Using it is more important for me than what a lot of people like to do here (programming, etc.) - I'm not knocking that, it's just not in my interests or my available time.

Great program, and I hope you keep it up for us.
    Hi rudramakesmovie,

That is right. I copy the IPK file to the pre and call it installer.ipk. I copy it as that name as I thought they was issues copying it as its full name.

Does everything install for you ok?

Thanks
    Greg
    Hi Greg,

I think i figured it out.. I'm a little bit of a n00b here.. I installed python (and not ipython either) and that 100MB whopper ate up a ton of space on /var.

running df -h (or du -h, can't remember) showed that i had used up 91% of my space on that mount. so that's why i was running low.

there is only about 250MB avail to apps and the like. So i hope we start installing via symlink to /media/internal soon.

anyway, i dumped a bunch of tmp files out of /var (haven't entirely uninstalled python yet) and got it down to 56% in use. then pre brew started working like a dream.

(the tip off was that even apps from the app catalog couldn't install, then i started looking into where things were mounted)

If someone can send word to Palm that it is HIGHLY misleading for the device info to say how much free space there is on the whole device instead of splitting it up like (Media drive: 2.2 GB, App drive: 140MB)

Each app is around 1MB which isn't bad. so you could install 140 MORE apps on my pre.. not bad really. I don't need two weather maps..

Greg, you're a genius and a great guy for helping out so much. Viva la Pre!
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your comments and support.
    I check this thread everyday so if there are any issues i'll still be here to help.

I'm just about to start work on a new project i'll post more on this soon hopefully.

Greg
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your comments and support.
    I check this thread everyday so if there are any issues i'll still be here to help.

I'm just about to start work on a new project i'll post more on this soon hopefully.

Greg
    Any issues? See, the other day I went to the bank and.....oh wait, I bet you meant any issues with your APP! SORRY hehehe
    this is not working for me either. It is saying that it can't communicate with novacom driver. I went into my system settings in windows and the novacom driver is installed and working properly. First post. hello to everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    this is not working for me either. It is saying that it can't communicate with novacom driver. I went into my system settings in windows and the novacom driver is installed and working properly. First post. hello to everyone
    Hi THETRUTH,

Could you please post the error you are getting?

Greg
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    I had this problem on my PC at work. I found out that even though the novacom service was installed and running, the Palm Novacom device in windows device manager was not functioning properly. I found a thread somewhere, can't remember where to give proper credit but the thread said to right click the Palm Novacom device (in device manager) and update the driver. Manually browse to C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom for the location of the driver. That fixed it for me and I have been installing Homebrew's at will ever since using PreBrew.

The Pre needs to be in dev mode/just charge and attached to the USB cable for it to show up in Windows Device Manager.

jab
    Last edited by bakerja; 08/06/2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Additional info