Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 141920212223242526 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_roll View Post
    Hi Arquero,

To check if Novacom service is running do the following.

Click START>Run
    Enter services.msc (if running vista or windows 7 click OK or continue)
    The on the right hand side of the window that opens go down to "Palm Novacom" and see if it says started. If not right click and select start.

If it is started right click and select restart.

Another reason you may get this is if you have renamed your Pre. You would only have done this if you have rooted your Pre and changed the name from castle.

Quiet a few posts back someone else had this issue and they had to wipe there Pre and run the WebOS doctor over it. Then it started to work.

Let me know how you go,
    Thanks
    Greg
    I ran through the installation of everything and it was all done correctly(as stated by the installer). I keep getting the same error message everybody is posting about, so I came to check the forums. I saw the above post and went to check that Palm Novacom had been started. The problem is Palm Novacom isn't on the list. Any help?
    It took me the better part of three hours and much browsing through 24 pages' worth of posts to finally figure out why this method wasn't working for me.

At first I was trying it on a Vista 64-bit system, on which there were a lot of compatibility issues between the 32-bit installation that is currently linked from the wiki. Even after I tried installing it on another Vista 32-bit computer, I spent another while going around in circles due to the another problem I was originally getting on the first computer -- not recognizing the device due to the lack of the Novacom drivers.

Eventually I found posts indicating that the Novacom drivers could be obtained by downloading/extracting from the SDK, the key word there being eventually (going through 24 pages' worth of posts to find what you need is very difficult). By simply installing the SDK I resolved the issue of the missing drivers, but it took me three hours to finally get to a solution which took me 10 minutes to resolve.

Until the issues are resolved in finding a method of installing said drivers with the current installation package because of whatever proprietary issues are apparently present, I highly recommend including these steps in the 'user-friendly' guide on the wiki, as these instructions are meant to be targeted to the average user (like myself) who probably doesn't have the SDK, and thus the Novacom drivers, installed. Would have saved me a lot of hassle, as it probably will for a lot of users who are having the same problem.

Please and thank you. That is all.
    Hi jasetroncs and moranimal,

Could you please post back the follow information?

Windows Version?
    32bit or 64bit?

Could you please post your %temp%\Pretool.log and %temp%\prebrewsetup.log ?

moranimal to install the drivers try the following.
    Click START MENU>Programs>PreBrew>PreBrew Console

Then select option 10. See if you have drivers now installed. (e.g. check services.msc)
    If you still don't have drivers select option 9. See if you have drivers now installed. (e.g. check services.msc)
    Make sure you reload services.msc each time.

Then post the above two logs for me with results. Thanks!!

Greg
    Sorry for not posting any details; since I wasn't asking for troubleshooting I didn't think it was necessary.

First computer I tried was Vista 64-bit. Installation went through fine, only that when I restarted I came upon the following problems:

- Drag-and-drop icon wasn't on the desktop.
    - All files installed into C:\Program Files\PreBrew instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\PreBrew ... Hence my comment about 64-bit incompatibility.
    - When connecting my Pre via USB, in dev mode, computer wouldn't recognize it because of the missing Novacom drivers.

After all that I spent a while browsing this thread, and came upon all the 64-bit issues, so I resolved to do the installation on another 32-bit Vista computer I have.

Only problem I had on that second computer was that it wouldn't recognize the Pre, again because of the missing drivers.

Upon downloading and installing the SDK, the drivers installed themselves (didn't even need to extract them or restart). As soon as I did everything worked perfectly, and I just recently installed about 10 or so homebrew apps.

Throughout this whole process I looked through the services the computer was running to see if Palm Novacom was started or stopped; it wasn't present on either of the two computers after installation. After installing the SDK on the second computer, the service was present and was running.

Attached are the log files you asked for, appended with '32' and '64' for the respective computers. Hope all this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by jasetroncs View Post
    Sorry for not posting any details; since I wasn't asking for troubleshooting I didn't think it was necessary.

First computer I tried was Vista 64-bit. Installation went through fine, only that when I restarted I came upon the following problems:

- Drag-and-drop icon wasn't on the desktop.
    - All files installed into C:\Program Files\PreBrew instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\PreBrew ... Hence my comment about 64-bit incompatibility.
    - When connecting my Pre via USB, in dev mode, computer wouldn't recognize it because of the missing Novacom drivers.

After all that I spent a while browsing this thread, and came upon all the 64-bit issues, so I resolved to do the installation on another 32-bit Vista computer I have.

Only problem I had on that second computer was that it wouldn't recognize the Pre, again because of the missing drivers.

Upon downloading and installing the SDK, the drivers installed themselves (didn't even need to extract them or restart). As soon as I did everything worked perfectly, and I just recently installed about 10 or so homebrew apps.

Throughout this whole process I looked through the services the computer was running to see if Palm Novacom was started or stopped; it wasn't present on either of the two computers after installation. After installing the SDK on the second computer, the service was present and was running.

Attached are the log files you asked for, appended with '32' and '64' for the respective computers. Hope all this helps.
    Hi jasetroncs,

Thank you so much for the log files and information.

64Bit Machine
    On 64bit Java didn't appear to be installed and the Java installer failed.
    Because Java wasn't installed the drivers didn't install.
    PreBrew installs in "C:\Program Files\PreBrew" as I had lots of issues when in the two different folders. But as Pretool.jar and all the bat files run in 64bit it's really OK to install it in "C:\Program FIles\PreBrew"
    I'm not sure why the shortcuts didn't create very weird!

32Bit Machine
    On the 32bit machine installation looked OK. Except I put the wrong MSI for driver installation in version 1.3. My BAD! Sorry

ALso just for futrue reference if you ever have driver install issues you can run the PreBrew console from START MENU>Programs>PreBrew and select either option 9 or 10.
    Option 9 uses the native WebOS driver installer, much like the SDK.
    Option 10 uses my way which gets around compatibilty issues on 64bit OS's and Windows 7.

I know everything is working for you now but for everyone else I will be uploading a new version very shortly to fix all the issues you had.
    Once again thank you for testing and your feedback!

Greg
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Hi bakerja and GoSteelers,

I think the Error: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect error is caused by a firewall blocking the posts required for Novacom. I told my firewall to block all traffic and I get the same error.

Try and disable the Windows Firewall and/or your personal firewall and try again.

Also have you done anything with IP Tables on your Pre's linux? That may effect this too.

Please let me know how you go, this one has been a pain!

Thanks,
    Greg
    Disabled firewall, did not help. I have done nothing to IP tables on pre. It is a stock 1.1, no mods at all. I installed on a different pc and got the same result. Winxp sp3 on first one winxp sp2 on second one. Both with exact same error.

Thanks!
    Hi guys,

New version time again. Version 1.3 had some errors with the installer. Thanks to jasetroncs for his help in hopefully sorting them out!

Download from
    PreBrew 1.4 Installer.exe - Windows Live

FIXES
    =============
    Moved Java files to be hosted on another web location. (Skydrive changes the download links daily.)
    Fixed an issue where Java was not installing or downloading correctly.
    The installer now checks if Java installed correctly. If it doesn't you are advised to install Java manually.
    Fixed driver installation failures on 32bit OS's. I broke it sorry
    The installer now checks if PreBrew has installed correctly and reports if it didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    Disabled firewall, did not help. I have done nothing to IP tables on pre. It is a stock 1.1, no mods at all. I installed on a different pc and got the same result. Winxp sp3 on first one winxp sp2 on second one. Both with exact same error.

Thanks!
    Hi bakerja,

Hmmm. Any chance you could install the SDK and try palm-install.bat. If you get similar issues then I would say it's something with your Pre. Another member on this thread has this issue and he ended up WebOS Doctoring his Pre which then fixed it.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Greg
    I had uninstalled 1.13 since it hadn't worked on the Vista 64-bit computer. Since you just put out another version, decided I'd take the liberty of reinstalling and being your guinea pig once more.

Installer went ahead and installed Java. I found it weird that it wouldn't recognize my already having Java... problem was that I do have Java, just not the 64-bit version. Guess it's good enough for Yahoo but not for PreBrew.

It also installed WebOS Doctor without a hitch (kinda regret having gotten rid of that one, it's quite a hefty file).

Novacom drivers installed this time. It may be worth mentioning that in 1.13, it would ask me if I wanted to uninstall the drivers before I'd even instaled them; it does not do this anymore. After the notification a Device Driver Installation Wizard popped up.

Once the installation for everything completed, the restart prompt showed up, including a notification that the desktop shortcut had not been created, and instructions for manually making it myself.

I'll update this post after I reboot and tell you how/if it's running, as well as post the log files.
    I had uninstalled 1.13 since it hadn't worked on the Vista 64-bit computer. Since you just put out another version, decided I'd take the liberty of reinstalling and being your guinea pig once more.

Installer went ahead and installed Java. I found it weird that it wouldn't recognize my already having Java... problem was that I do have Java, just not the 64-bit version. Guess it's good enough for Yahoo but not for PreBrew.

It also installed WebOS Doctor without a hitch (kinda regret having gotten rid of that one, it's quite a hefty file).

Novacom drivers installed this time. It may be worth mentioning that in 1.13, it would ask me if I wanted to uninstall the drivers before I'd even instaled them; it does not do this anymore. After the notification a Device Driver Installation Wizard popped up.

Once the installation for everything completed, the restart prompt showed up, including a notification that the desktop shortcut had not been created, and instructions for manually making it myself.

I'll update this post after I reboot and tell you how/if it's running, as well as post the log files.
    Hi jasetroncs,

Thanks for testing again. My scripts check for C:\windows\system32\java.exe to exist. I think if you have only installed the 32bit version the Java wouldn't exist there. Glad Java installed and downloaded correctly.

I only now prompt to uninstall the drivers if PreBrew is still installed because it was prompting even on first install which was silly

I look forward to your update. Hopefully everything is OK!

With the webosdoctor java file the installer will re-use it if it is already installed. What you can do though is copy the file to %userprofile%\downloads\webos\webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar. The installer also will install it from there if it exists to save downloading again.

In version 1.5 I will automatically copy webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar to %userprofile%\downloads\webos\webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar so it can be used later.

Still weird its not creating the shortcut! (I added that check to see if it created thanks to your feedback)

Thanks again,
    Greg
    Last edited by greg_roll; 07/25/2009 at 09:00 AM.
    Whatever you did worked like a charm.

'Palm Novacom' services was accounted for and running upon booting up. Plugged in my dev mode-enabled Pre and the computer recognized it right away. Dragged an ipk file onto the desktop icon and (after a slight delay during which I held my breath) the app was successfully installed on my Pre.

Only problem during the whole process was having to make the desktop icon myself. I have no complaints whatsoever as far as having to go that extra step (especially with all the progress made on your end), but I see how some antsier users could issue a complaint about that. lol

Good luck on any additions to the project, and excellent job.

Log files attached, just for posterity.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Whatever you did worked like a charm.

'Palm Novacom' services was accounted for and running upon booting up. Plugged in my dev mode-enabled Pre and the computer recognized it right away. Dragged an ipk file onto the desktop icon and (after a slight delay during which I held my breath) the app was successfully installed on my Pre.

Only problem during the whole process was having to make the desktop icon myself. I have no complaints whatsoever as far as having to go that extra step (especially with all the progress made on your end), but I see how some antsier users could issue a complaint about that. lol

Good luck on any additions to the project, and excellent job.

Log files attached, just for posterity.
    Hi jasetroncs,

Great news and thank you so much!

I will look into the shortcut issue and hopefully have it resolved in the next version. Please post back if I do not.

Thanks again,
    Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by moranimal View Post
    I ran through the installation of everything and it was all done correctly(as stated by the installer). I keep getting the same error message everybody is posting about, so I came to check the forums. I saw the above post and went to check that Palm Novacom had been started. The problem is Palm Novacom isn't on the list. Any help?
    Hi moranimal,

Please download version 1.4 and try again.
    I broke the driver installation in 1.3 sorry!

Hope this helps. Let me know how you go!

Greg
    Greg,

I posted something under the general pre section earlier so I'm reposting here.

I updated my pre to the new OS yesterday and tried to start installing some Homebrew apps. I first started with the PreBrew 1.3 installation on my PC (vista 64-bit) and then put my pre in developer mode. When I would drop an app on PreBrew, I got java errors. I looked through the batch files and saw they were trying to execute "java" and that didn't seem to work on my computer. I did install the latest (I think version 14) and still no luck. I then modified my system path variable to include the location of java and then the errors went away. I then get errors saying no devices are found and to be sure the Palm Novacom service is running. I verified this is running on my PC.

I then tried the older approach and installed Virtual Box on my PC and the PalmSDK. I then got an error when I tried to run "palm-install.bat" about j% not being expected. I looked at this batch file and found what looked to be an error (I'm not really sure) This was in there:

set CP=
    for %%j in (%JARS%) do (set CP=!CP!;%JARS_DIR%\%%j)

I changed it to

set CP=for %%j in (%JARS%) do (set CP=!CP!;%JARS_DIR%\%%j)

Now I get this in the command window:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/palm/installer/In
    staller
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.palm.installer.Installer
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
    Could not find the main class: com.palm.installer.Installer. Program will exit.

What am I doing wrong? How do I know if the Novacomm stuff ever got put on my Pre? I'm guessing it didn't. Also, I'm not sure what to do with the Virtual Box or SDK. I start Virtual Box, and it just comes up with no virtual machines. I try and start the Palm Emulator, and nothing ever happens.

I see now you have a version 1.4 of PreBrew. Do you think this will help me? If so, what all should I do to try and get things back to a normal state before intalling it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Doug
    Hi rudramakesmovie,

That is right. I copy the IPK file to the pre and call it installer.ipk. I copy it as that name as I thought they was issues copying it as its full name.

Does everything install for you ok?

Thanks
    Greg
    Greg,

The ipk never installs. and also appears to not even be copied to the pre, though the output (as quoted above) seems to think so.

i logged in to my pre and checked out /media/internal in /developer and applications and IPKs and there was nothing there.

I have a rooted phone. perhaps i can just drag and drop them onto the pre and install them myself?

I'd like to make sure they end up in /var/usr/palm/applications. is that determined in the IPk?
    Anyway this process can be trimmed down, file-size-wise that is...
    It works great as is.. but 200 MB is a lot to download, any way this can be done without that whole .jar ?
    Quote Originally Posted by readams View Post
    Worth a shot.
    Finally got it working by installing the new version of the SDK they just released!
    Quote Originally Posted by dhMassacre View Post
    Anyway this process can be trimmed down, file-size-wise that is...
    It works great as is.. but 200 MB is a lot to download, any way this can be done without that whole .jar ?
    Hi dhMassacre,

Technically yes. But I cant redistribute Palm's work so the webosdoctor jar file is the only way unfortunently.

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by readams View Post
    Finally got it working by installing the new version of the SDK they just released!
    Hi readams,

Great news!

I wonder if they have updated the drivers in the SDK. I will have to check it out!

Thanks
    Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by dpjones View Post
    Greg,

I posted something under the general pre section earlier so I'm reposting here.

I updated my pre to the new OS yesterday and tried to start installing some Homebrew apps. I first started with the PreBrew 1.3 installation on my PC (vista 64-bit) and then put my pre in developer mode. When I would drop an app on PreBrew, I got java errors. I looked through the batch files and saw they were trying to execute "java" and that didn't seem to work on my computer. I did install the latest (I think version 14) and still no luck. I then modified my system path variable to include the location of java and then the errors went away. I then get errors saying no devices are found and to be sure the Palm Novacom service is running. I verified this is running on my PC.

I then tried the older approach and installed Virtual Box on my PC and the PalmSDK. I then got an error when I tried to run "palm-install.bat" about j% not being expected. I looked at this batch file and found what looked to be an error (I'm not really sure) This was in there:

set CP=
    for %%j in (%JARS%) do (set CP=!CP!;%JARS_DIR%\%%j)

I changed it to

set CP=for %%j in (%JARS%) do (set CP=!CP!;%JARS_DIR%\%%j)

Now I get this in the command window:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/palm/installer/In
    staller
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.palm.installer.Installer
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
    Could not find the main class: com.palm.installer.Installer. Program will exit.

What am I doing wrong? How do I know if the Novacomm stuff ever got put on my Pre? I'm guessing it didn't. Also, I'm not sure what to do with the Virtual Box or SDK. I start Virtual Box, and it just comes up with no virtual machines. I try and start the Palm Emulator, and nothing ever happens.

I see now you have a version 1.4 of PreBrew. Do you think this will help me? If so, what all should I do to try and get things back to a normal state before intalling it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Doug
    Hi dpjones,

I'm not sure whats going on with the SDK. Hopefully another thread can help you out there sorry. As for PreBrew please download version 1.4 and try again. I did break driver installation in 1.3. 1.4 should definently install the drivers correctly for you and hopefully work.

If you continue to have errors with 1.4 please post a screen shot of the errors and attach the follow two files %temp%\Pretool.log and %temp%\prebrewsetup.log

Thanks
    Greg