Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    greg, great job on all of the improvements. Another request though... any luck getting this to run as a self extracting zip that runs the vbs setup automatically so that the user doesn't have to extract manually?
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_roll View Post
    Hi readsms,

Can you please post %temp%\PreTool.log and %temp%\PreBrewSetup.log ?
    Also include a screenshot of the Window that says "Press and key to continue..."

Thanks
    I've now tried using the PreBrew program, and the Palm SDK to install onto my Pre, using two different operating systems (Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows Vista 32-bit), and in all cases I get the "no devices found error."

I've completely removed and installed the SDK on multiple computers under multiple OSes. I did a "Partial Erase" on my pre to reset everything to stock (I've never rooted this Pre).

I'm beginning to wonder if my specific Pre is somehow defective in just this one respect. I'm going to try it with my brother's Pre when I get a chance.

I've attached a screenshot. The Pre is definitely in developer mode, as I just checked by entering the Konami code again and seeing the toggle set to On (plus it doesn't show up as a Novacom device unless it's in developer mode)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    wow a million thanks greg_roll, up until prebrew 1.1 nothing had worked for me. For those who want to know my set up, i am running windows vista 32 bit, I uninstalled all previous versions of prebrew, i do have the official sdk installed and virtualbox, not sure if that will make a difference but once i downloaded 1.1 i extracted all the files then ran the VBS file, after everything installed i restarted, plugged the pre in, then applied the developer mode, allowed it the pre to reboot while still plugged in, then selected just charge and dragged and dropped onto the desktop icon, and VOILA! works like a charm, i about crapped myself when it actually showed up on the pre, can't get easier than this! thanks a million to everyone who has helped get us to this point!
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    greg, great job on all of the improvements. Another request though... any luck getting this to run as a self extracting zip that runs the vbs setup automatically so that the user doesn't have to extract manually?
    Hi xorg,

I havent had luck with this just yet. Had some weird install issues when I packed it up in a self extracting archive.

Will work on this more today as it looks like version 1.1 is pretty solid.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by readams View Post
    I've now tried using the PreBrew program, and the Palm SDK to install onto my Pre, using two different operating systems (Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows Vista 32-bit), and in all cases I get the "no devices found error."

I've completely removed and installed the SDK on multiple computers under multiple OSes. I did a "Partial Erase" on my pre to reset everything to stock (I've never rooted this Pre).

I'm beginning to wonder if my specific Pre is somehow defective in just this one respect. I'm going to try it with my brother's Pre when I get a chance.

I've attached a screenshot. The Pre is definitely in developer mode, as I just checked by entering the Konami code again and seeing the toggle set to On (plus it doesn't show up as a Novacom device unless it's in developer mode)
    Hi readams,

I'm a little stumped. I don't actually have a Pre so its hard for me to help on this one. PreBrew doesn't need the SDK installed to work. Everything looks good on your end though. Could you double click on "Palm Novacom" in services and tell me what "Path to executable:" is set?

Thanks,
    Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Hi,

I'm probably being a bit dim, but is this method designed to be an easier way to install "non-root-required" apps, or does it allow you to install "root-required" apps without rooting? Thanks!
    Hi Bujin,

This is designed as an easy way to install home brew applications. non-rooted apps should work. I'm not sure about apps that require rooting. I'm in AUS so I don't have a Pre to test with.

My guess is if you have an app that requires to be rooted you could load PreBrew console from the start menu and run any linux commands you need. "E.G the command to remount the / as read/write" Then install the IPK file as needed.

If it turns out root required apps need some extra commands run I could put these in my program.

Could a Pre owner comment here? xorg possibly?

Thanks,
    Greg
    Hi readams,

I'm a little stumped. I don't actually have a Pre so its hard for me to help on this one. PreBrew doesn't need the SDK installed to work. Everything looks good on your end though. Could you double click on "Palm Novacom" in services and tell me what "Path to executable:" is set?

Thanks,
    Greg
    When I double click the Palm Novacom service, I get a dialog that says:
    "Configuration Manager: The specified device instance handle does not correspond to a present device" with just an OK button. I click OK and get the Properties dialog, where path to executable is: "C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom\x86\novacomd.exe"
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I tried to download it but skydrive says the file is missing??
    thanks
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Greg thanks for all of your work and you still don't have a pre someone needs to send you one... Question though this thread is mighty long is there a way for u you to say at tbis point here is the latestwith all the steps that us noob need to follow that would be great for me and maybe some others.. Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkwd40 View Post
    I tried to download it but skydrive says the file is missing??
    Here is the direct link
    http://v1nycq.blu.livefilestore.com/...r.zip?download

Hope that helps
    Quote Originally Posted by darmood View Post
    Greg thanks for all of your work and you still don't have a pre someone needs to send you one... Question though this thread is mighty long is there a way for u you to say at tbis point here is the latestwith all the steps that us noob need to follow that would be great for me and maybe some others.. Thanks in advance
    Hi darmood,

Thanks for that. Here is the link to the WIKI. We try to keep it up to date with all the instructions.

pre dev wiki: Installing Apps on a Stock Pre (consumer friendly method)

Thanks,
    Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by readams View Post
    When I double click the Palm Novacom service, I get a dialog that says:
    "Configuration Manager: The specified device instance handle does not correspond to a present device" with just an OK button. I click OK and get the Properties dialog, where path to executable is: "C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom\x86\novacomd.exe"
    Hi readams,

That may help us out.

Open regedit.exe.
    Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NovacomD" and delete the "ENUM" sub key.

Restart your computer.

Then go back in to services.msc and double click the "Palm Novacom" service. Do you now get the above error? If not, is the service started? If not start it.

Then try PreBrew again.

Hopefully this works?

If not there is one more thing I can think of.
    Load regedit.exe again and delete the Key as above. (If it exists)

Then navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root" and delete "LEGACY_NOVACOMD" if it exists.

Reboot, then go back in to services.msc and double click the "Palm Novacom" service. Do you now get the above error? If not, is the service started? If not start it.

Then try PreBrew again.

Please post your results...
    Hi readams,

That may help us out.

Open regedit.exe.
    Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NovacomD" and delete the "ENUM" sub key.

Restart your computer.

Then go back in to services.msc and double click the "Palm Novacom" service. Do you now get the above error? If not, is the service started? If not start it.

Then try PreBrew again.

Hopefully this works?

If not there is one more thing I can think of.
    Load regedit.exe again and delete the Key as above. (If it exists)

Then navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root" and delete "LEGACY_NOVACOMD" if it exists.

Reboot, then go back in to services.msc and double click the "Palm Novacom" service. Do you now get the above error? If not, is the service started? If not start it.

Then try PreBrew again.

Please post your results...
    Thanks. Neither of the keys you mentioned exists.
    I am still having an issue. I get a popup in the services application:

"error 1053 The service did not respond to the start or control message in a timely fashion"

I have rebooted twice, but still see the same error.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

-Kevin

3) To Install Pre Apps
    - Plug your Pre into computer USB port and put into 'Just Charge' mode, not 'USB Drive'.
    - An icon called "Drop File Here To Install Pre App" with down green arrow should be located on your desktop.
    - Drop an IPK file (packaged application) over the icon described above to install the App to your Pre.

Install Application 1.1 by Greg Roll 2009
    Installs an application on the Palm Pre
    Ensure your Palm Pre is connected and running in developer mode.

Press any key to continue . . .

Starting PreTool...

Checking for webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar...

webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar found.

Running Java...

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/palm/novacom/Nova
    comException
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.palm.novacom.NovacomException
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
    Could not find the main class: com.PreTool.PreTool. Program will exit.

Java complete.
    Complete. Check for any error messages above.

This is after I went to the java website and ensured I had to the latest version of java. I double checked to make sure the phone was in development mode, and I rebooted the computer twice.

System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

Pentium 4 cpu 3.00 ghz
    2.99 ghz, 0.98 gb of ram
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark3nough View Post

3) To Install Pre Apps
    - Plug your Pre into computer USB port and put into 'Just Charge' mode, not 'USB Drive'.
    - An icon called "Drop File Here To Install Pre App" with down green arrow should be located on your desktop.
    - Drop an IPK file (packaged application) over the icon described above to install the App to your Pre.

Install Application 1.1 by Greg Roll 2009
    Installs an application on the Palm Pre
    Ensure your Palm Pre is connected and running in developer mode.

Starting PreTool...

Running Java...

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/palm/novacom/Nova
    comException
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.palm.novacom.NovacomException
    Could not find the main class: com.PreTool.PreTool. Program will exit.

Java complete.
    Complete. Check for any error messages above.

This is after I went to the java website and ensured I had to the latest version of java. I double checked to make sure the phone was in development mode, and I rebooted the computer twice.

System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

Pentium 4 cpu 3.00 ghz
    2.99 ghz, 0.98 gb of ram
    I'm getting the exact same thing.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huricane_33 View Post
    I am still having an issue. I get a popup in the services application:

"error 1053 The service did not respond to the start or control message in a timely fashion"

I have rebooted twice, but still see the same error.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

-Kevin

I got the same error.. winusb.dll was missing.. after locating it and putting it in the correct folder I got it to work but it won't recognize my phone.
    sorry to be a noob, how do i delete apps installed using pretool?
    i am unable to get the PreBrew tool to work on one of my laptops. i updated it with the latest java and rebooted but i still can't connect to the Pre. Below is what shows up in the PreBrew Console screen (any ideas why the following error?, thank you):

PreBrew Console 1.1 by Greg Roll 2009

=====================================

Checking Pre Connectivity...

Starting PreTool...

Running Java...

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/PreTool/P
    reTool (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)

Java complete.

=====================================