webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Post OS1.04 - pinging 'the collective' for new install method
Post OS1.04 - pinging 'the collective' for new install method

Old 07/16/2009, 09:32 PM   #281 (permalink)
huh

I keep receiving the following error when I try to install an IPK. The script always says its successful but the application never installs. Any ideas (novacom driver is 64 bit and installed successfully via predev wiki discussion, also installed/reinstalled java jre 64). Thoughts?

Error Image
huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2009, 09:50 PM   #282 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCCCCnME View Post
Go to the start menu and type in Services in the start search box.

Open the Services window and scroll down until you see Palm Novacom.
Make sure that it says started beside it.

Also you may want to make sure your have the latest version of JAVA downloaded on your computer.
Tried that an nada, nothing...no app on the Pre! Luckily I had an old Windows XP machine I had to dig up to see if I was doing anything wrong in the install. Ran the install just like I did on my 64bit vista and voila! Fantastic, it worked. Novacom installed automatically unlike on 64bit Vista. So I got all the homebrews on me and my sisters phone. Nonetheless, I would like to have this process work on my main 64bit machine as having an extra pc on my desk just to get apps on the Pre is inconvenient. We should have a disclaimer saying it works on 32bit XP machines only, until all the 64bit Vista issues are resolved. For XP this brilliant.
bvelasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2009, 10:40 PM   #283 (permalink)
huh

When trying under Windows XP (32 bit) I get no errors when i drag an app over (it says it installed successfully) but no app ever appears. I am in dev mode and 'just charge' yet nothing ever appears. Novacomm service is installed and running, Java JRE is most recent...

Please note that when I drag in source code versions of apps into /var/usr/palm/applications via SSH it shows up fine...I just can't do the ipk method.

Edit: Checked to see if the app folders are created after the script says an IPK is installed successfully. No app folder created in either /var/usr/... or /usr/... Also no files found in /media/internal/developer

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Last edited by huh; 07/16/2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: No luck so far
Old 07/16/2009, 10:43 PM   #284 (permalink)
Pre Developer

I am currently working on an application that will be installed on the Pre so that you can install webos apps without having to be near a computer with the sdk installed.
PreGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2009, 10:50 PM   #285 (permalink)

Huh,

Just a thought, as your image shows that your ipk is successfully installing, If you go into the applications directory are the new apps showing up in there. Wondering if it's an issue of the app "thumbnail" showing up?
okasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2009, 10:58 PM   #286 (permalink)
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by okasaki View Post
Huh,

Just a thought, as your image shows that your ipk is successfully installing, If you go into the applications directory are the new apps showing up in there. Wondering if it's an issue of the app "thumbnail" showing up?
Okasaki,

Unfortunately even though it says successful no app directory is created in either /var/usr/palm/applications or /usr/palm/applications. To be honest I almost would rather developers just post their source in addition to the ipk that way those rooted can just install via ssh/sftp.
Old 07/17/2009, 01:49 AM   #287 (permalink)

new prebrew installer method doesnt work for all computer, vista x64 here and i ran through the steps couple times and it still wont install anything on the pre, my laptop got novacom running, sdk installed .. any ideas on the matter, kind of annoying since i just want to try these homebrew but fail instruction is a pet peeve
precrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2009, 05:28 AM   #288 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCCCCnME View Post
Not to be condescending but you are in Dev Mode and plugged in under Just Charge correct?

If so then I'm at a loss. Maybe Greg can chime in on this once he gets the opportunity.
Hi guys,

Yeah im at a loss too. I just tried http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-v1-8-nrr.html on the emulator and it worked fine with my new version 1.0.

I will have it posted very shotly. Everything appears to be working fine. Could you try the above new version of snake and let me know how you go?
greg_roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2009, 06:42 AM   #289 (permalink)

Ok guys. Time for a new version of PreBrew. Download from PreBrew 1.0 Installer.zip - Windows Live

Notes
===========================
Please manually uninstall previous versions of PreBrew first.
I highly recommend if your do not have Java installed to visit Java Downloads for All Operating Systems - Sun Microsystems and download and install Java first.
If you are having issues with the Novacom driver try running "Pretool -drv2" and reboot. If this doesn't work run "PreTool -drv" and reboot. Please post experiences with driver installation.

Changes
Added logging. If you have any issues post "%temp%\PreTool.log" and "%temp%\PreBrewSetup.log"
Supports 32bit and 64bit Seperately
Removed OS architecture detection from batch files (This was causing errors: unable to read selected registry key or key not found)
Always installs in "C:\Program Files\PreBrew" (where C: is sys drive) now for both 32bit and 64bit
Fixed batch file so there is now a pause at the end so you can see if there are issues.
You can now run the WebOSDoctory recovery tool by running the command "PreTool -recovery"
Added a new driver installation method. "PreTool -drv2". Drivers are now extracted from the MSI and installed using DPInst.exe or DPInst64.exe. (Hopefully this fixes driver install issues on all OS's) (Please post your experiences and log files if required. Lets try and get this right!)
PreTool now advises to restart after installation of Novacom driver.
PreTool is now more informative if your Palm Pre is not found.

Known Issues
Possible download issues with Firefox (If someone can host the files I will move them)
Java may not download (if required). If it doesn't please go to Java Downloads for All Operating Systems - Sun Microsystems and download and install Java. (If someone can host the files please let me know)
Uninstalling PreBrew will not remove the desktop shortcut. (The MSI no longer creates the shortcut Setup.vbs does.)
I am unable to get any feedback from the application install on the Pre. So if it fails I can't tell you

Xorg I had some troubles with a self extracting installer/zip so for now it is still just a zip file.
Thanked By: skyheli
Old 07/17/2009, 07:11 AM   #290 (permalink)
huh

Hey Greg,

Tried the new 1.0 version...installed without a hitch and no errors during install but the application still doesn't show up on my pre. I'm starting to wonder if its because the pre is rooted or if there is some underlining condition as to why nothing appears to copy over (no folders created, etc...). Attached my screenshot.

Old 07/17/2009, 07:22 AM   #291 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh View Post
Hey Greg,

Tried the new 1.0 version...installed without a hitch and no errors during install but the application still doesn't show up on my pre. I'm starting to wonder if its because the pre is rooted or if there is some underlining condition as to why nothing appears to copy over (no folders created, etc...). Attached my screenshot.

Hi huh,

What version of tetris are you trying? Is it version 2.0 from the homebrew site? I tried that on the emulator and it works great. (Im from AUS so I don't have a pre ).

Do you have another app you could try and install?

Another option is copy the IPK to your phone and place it in /media/internal/developer. SSH to the phone and run the command exactly as it is outputted on your screenshot. (You should be able to copy and paste).

Post me back the output of that command. If its getting some error we can go from there.

Thanks for your help!
Greg
Old 07/17/2009, 07:57 AM   #292 (permalink)

TCCCCnME, I started out trying the SDK method and had no luck, BUT... I said I'd give it another try. And I did. No luck. OK, here's what I did.
I again verified that this is a 32 bit machine.
I reinstalled the Palm SDK.
I installed the Novacomd drivers.
I verified that I am running the latest Java.
I used Services.msc to verify that it is running.
Made sure Pre was in Dev mode and chose Just Charge.
I dragged an .ipk file onto the Pre.

I get the message please install a disk into Drive R:. (Yes, I renamed my drive a while back.)
Not recognizing Pre while in Just Charge mode.

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...

Last edited by justjill3; 07/17/2009 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Left out an action.
justjill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2009, 08:06 AM   #293 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjill3 View Post
TCCCCnME, I started out trying the SDK method and had no luck, BUT... I said I'd give it another try. And I did. No luck. OK, here's what I did.
I again verified that this is a 32 bit machine.
I reinstalled the Palm SDK.
I installed the Novacomd drivers.
I verified that I am running the latest Java.
I used Services.msc to verify that it is running.
Made sure Pre was in Dev mode and chose Just Charge.
I dragged an .ipk file onto the Pre.

I get the message please install a disk into Drive R:. (Yes, I renamed my drive a while back.)
Not recognizing Pre while in Just Charge mode.
Hi justjull3,

Download the latest version 1.0. It has logging which you can post on this forum.

If your windows drive is R: I just noticed a bug in my version 1.0 files.

After you install version 1.0 go to R:\Program Files\PreBrew and open the following three files in notepad. (InstallApp.bat, InstallAppDEV.bat and PreTool.bat). You will see a line at the top set PREBREW_PATH=C:\Program Files\PreBrew change this to set PREBREW_PATH=R:\Program Files\PreBrew.

Only do the above if Prebrew installs to R:\Program Files\PreBrew.

Once you have installed version 1.0. Try and install an application again. If it doesn't work post %temp%\PreBrewSetup.log and %temp%\PreTool.log

Thanks,
Greg
Old 07/17/2009, 08:19 AM   #294 (permalink)

Will do, Greg. And regardless of how my problem turns out, I think that you and your peers are awesome. The fact that you all are tackling the app problems makes you my heros ( and heroines???).

Thanks.

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
Old 07/17/2009, 08:26 AM   #295 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_roll View Post
If your windows drive is R: I just noticed a bug in my version 1.0 files.

After you install version 1.0 go to R:\Program Files\PreBrew and open the following three files in notepad. (InstallApp.bat, InstallAppDEV.bat and PreTool.bat). You will see a line at the top set PREBREW_PATH=C:\Program Files\PreBrew change this to set PREBREW_PATH=R:\Program Files\PreBrew.

Only do the above if Prebrew installs to R:\Program Files\PreBrew.

Once you have installed version 1.0. Try and install an application again. If it doesn't work post %temp%\PreBrewSetup.log and %temp%\PreTool.log

Thanks,
Greg
I'm checking to see if I confused you. My hard drive is still C:. It is the Pre that was renamed R:. Was I clear?

Old 07/17/2009, 08:35 AM   #296 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjill3 View Post
I'm checking to see if I confused you. My hard drive is still C:. It is the Pre that was renamed R:. Was I clear?
Oh ok cool. It sounds like you have an earlier version of my program. There has been a few now

Definently download version 1.0 and then ignor everything I said about editing the files and try again.

I did just read on another thread that putting the IPK file in a temporary folder such as c:\temp or c:\windows\temp and then trying to drag and drop it from there may help to.

But definently install 1.0 because then we at least have logging that you can post on this thread.

Thanks again,
Greg
Thanked By: huh
Old 07/17/2009, 08:58 AM   #297 (permalink)

As I read your instructions and code, I came to the conclusion that I had, in fact, confused you. I have since installed 1.0, but unfortunately I'll have to stop at the restart. I have a doc.s appt. I'll be back anywhere from 2 to 5 hours and will proceed with the instructions on the wiki.

Thanks for everything.

Old 07/17/2009, 11:18 AM   #298 (permalink)

Pre is in developer mode, connected via USB.
Novacom service is running.
Vista 32-bit
PreTool 1.0.

I get:
Quote:
C:\Program Files\PreBrew>PreTool.bat USB -l

Starting PreTool...

Checking for webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar...

webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar found.

Running Java...

PreTool 1.0 by Greg Roll 2009
Connects to the Palm Pre and performs various opperations.
NOTE: Requires Dev Mode Enabled on Palm Pre. (upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbast
art)

Connected to Novacom Controller

Listing devices...
Number of devices found: 0

No devices have been found.
Ensure your Pre is connected and running in DEV mode.
Ensure the 'Palm Novacom' Service is running.

Java complete.

C:\Program Files\PreBrew>
It does work if I install into the emulator.
readams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2009, 11:33 AM   #299 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by readams View Post
Vista 32-bit
PreTool 1.0.

I get:

Weird, I ran into this same thing. I had accidently left my pre in developer mode overnight, and it wasn't showing up as yours is not showing up from above. I turned off developer mode and came back a few hours later and started over and everything worked with no issue.
okasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2009, 01:05 PM   #300 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by readams View Post
Vista 32-bit
PreTool 1.0.

I get:

I have talked to some people who had a similar problem and what they found was restarting the Palm Novacom did the trick.

Also I noticed that once I downloaded the latest version of JAVA that I needed to restart the computer for it to take affect.

I don't know if either of these suggestion will work but it's worth a shot.
TCCCCnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: campolattaro

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0