Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3drow View Post
    same thing, i hit my any key and it scrolls through text really quick for like a second, and disappears and nothing on my pre.
    Ive been getting the same thing since the beginning. I finally just took a video of the screen with my camera and paused on the frame so i could see what it was saying in the 1/100th of a second it pops up for.
    Anyway, it says JAVA NOT INSTALLED.
    Now i don't know if it's the same for you, but that my guess.
    I am running Vista 64bit, and have installed reinstalled restarted java so many times i want to throw up.
    Anyone have some suggestions on why even tho the latest version of JAVA is installed i get the error JAVA NOT INSTALLED when i click anything including PreTool and everything in the SDK and when i try to install an app.
    Please help?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Ok just to sum up how I resolved my problems with the Vista 64 bit system and getting Greg's version 0.8 to work properly.

1. The dpinst.exe file that is found in the novacom folder after downloading the SDK is made for 32 bit systems.

I had to manually go to the web and find the DPInst64.exe (http://www.quatraine3.com/tribalwar/...2/DPInst64.exe) file to properly download the Novacom drivers to my Vista 64 bit system.

Without these drivers this will not work. Greg's build did not load any drivers for me so I had to go get them manually.

2. Once you have downloaded the DPInst64 onto your desktop drag the folder over to the novacom folder that the 32 bit DPInst is found.

Then open the DPInst64.exe you just drug over and it will automatically download the appropriate drivers.

3. After the drivers are installed double check and make sure that you have created a shortcut using the "known issues" that Greg wrote up about the 0.8 version. If your not sure those instructions are in this thread.

4. Lastly, open start menu and then type in services. Open services and scroll down until you find Palm Novacom. This must be running so make sure it says started. If not start it up.

After I took these steps, plus making sure my Pre was in Developer mode and that I was in "Just Charge" mode, I was able to download a .ipk file to my desktop and drag the .ipk onto the installer shortcut I made and double checked earlier.

Then a Command Prompt will come up that will indicate to press any key to continue. So press a key and then watch your Pre. You should see the app download right in front of your eyes.

This is what worked for me. A few guys have indicated when making the shortcut to leave the %1 of the end of the target location. I have the %1 on the end of my target location and everything is working fine. You may try it both ways if one doesn't work right.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    *EDIT*

when i have my pre on it goes through and says java installed, it finds 1 device and says "connecting to device:" and a bunch of jarbled lettering and stuff...

then at the end i get

"checking for file: %1

ERROR: C:\program files\rebrew\%1 does not exist."

EDIT again, ok i took out the 1% and put my pre in just charge mode and it works

Last edited by Th3drow; 07/13/2009 at 11:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I had to download the SDK to get the appropriate Novacom drivers for Greg's version 0.8 to work on my Vista 64 bit machine.

Greg, the installer did not download the Novacom drivers during setup. I dont know if including the DPInst.exe file in you next build could fix that problem.

Other than that I didnt have to use the SDK for anything else, so once thats worked out than no one will have a need for the SDK.

Please remember this is all from my personal experiences in trying to figure this out. It may not work for you but I sure hope it does!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    i tried that same thing and it says

"conntected to novacom controller"

listing devices...
    number of devices found: 0

command not sent

I am running vista 32bit. i have developer mode enabled have tried media and usb mode...
    Try downloading the SDK go to Program Files then SDK, bin, novacom and you should see the dpinst for 32 bit systems. Try opening that, let it automatically download the drivers.

Then go to the start menu, type in Services, open it up and check to make sure the Palm Novacom is started.

Then double check your shortcut to make sure you have the proper target location.

Then try dragging the .ipk file over the install shortcut and see what happens.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    *EDIT*

when i have my pre on it goes through and says java installed, it finds 1 device and says "connecting to device:" and a bunch of jarbled lettering and stuff...

then at the end i get

"checking for file: %1

ERROR: C:\program files\rebrew\%1 does not exist."

Just to follow your steps you right-clicked on the desktop, selected new then shortcut.

Then you type in TARGET: "C:\Program Files\PreBrew\InstallApp.bat"

Then hit next and find the newly created shortcut on your desktop.

Right click the new shortcut and go to properties. The on the target line after InstallApp.bat" type %1 so it looks like this:

TARGET: "C:\Program Files\PreBrew\InstallApp.bat" %1

Hit apply and then try to drag your .ipk file to it and see what happens.

If that doesn't work try removing the %1 and try to drag the .ipk again.

Hopefully this works.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCCCCnME View Post
    Finally. I noticed that my Palm Novacom under Services was not running. Vista couldn't find the drivers to start the service.

So I went to the downloaded DPInst64.exe and then the Palm SDK. I then replaced the 32 bit DPInst with the 64 bit I saved on my desktop (drag and dropped).

I didn't need the SDK just the Novacom drivers that were in the file. Greg's program must have not loaded them on my computer.

I then opened the DPInst64 and it downloaded the novacom drivers I was missing.

I was then able to start Palm Novacom (It automatically started) drag my .ipk file to the Install shortcut I made using Greg's instructions for 64 bit Vista users and boom apps on my Pre.

Finally. I greatly appreciate Greg and his hard work and anyone that has worked toward a consumer easy solution.
    Hi TCCCCnME,

Thanks for the feedback. Are you able to explain where DPInst64 came from? Did you download it or is it part of the SDK?

Thanks,
    Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by pontiacaztek2 View Post
    I'm running Vista 32...... right clicked on desktop "Drop Here" icon .... went to properties...My "TARGET" area is prepopulated with the the word Prebrew. I could not go in like you said and change it to "C:\Program Files\PreBrew\InstallApp.bat"%1....

Over 4 hours now to try to install a fart app...... I think I'll go just eat some beans now and make my own. I'm really not this stupid with computers. I think I'll just wait a few days until somebody comes up with an ***** proof way to install apps....... geez....
    Just working on a new version to hopefully fix it but from reading here the target either needs to be
    "C:\Program Files\PreBrew\InstallApp.bat"
    or
    "C:\Program Files\PreBrew\InstallApp.bat" %1 (notice the spcae betwen " and %1
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_roll View Post
    Hi TCCCCnME,

Thanks for the feedback. Are you able to explain where DPInst64 came from? Did you download it or is it part of the SDK?

Thanks,
    Greg
    I downloaded here: http://www.quatraine3.com/tribalwar/...2/DPInst64.exe
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I'm not sure if the DPInst64.exe is just the installer for the Novacom drivers? I noticed that once I drug and replaced the DPInst 32 bit with the DPInst64 bit the Novacom drivers would install onto my 64 bit system.

So in that case I needed the SDK for the driver that were apart of the Novacom folder (C:/Program Files (x86)/Palm/SDK/bin/novacom) , then I needed an installer that would work with a 64 bit OS.

Could you possible take the contents of that Novacom folder with the 64 bit DPInst64.exe and include that in your next version. Possibly make it download the novacom drivers automatically?

Thanks for everything you've done. I wish I could be more help here but some of this is just over my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by juliel View Post
    I'm also stuck. I ran the installer and it seemed to go fine, but I don't have the shortcut, nor do I have C:/Programfiles/Prebrew. . .

Running XP I think at work (I'm a Mac person so all the windows looks the same to me. . . )
    Hi juliel,

No worries, im not a Mac person It is possible that if you are at work everything is locked down so you can't install this. It may also be possible you are running a 64bit OS so the files may be in c:\Program Files(x86)PreBrew.

When I get a chance I will look at a Mac version. (As I said don't know much about Macs so I can only try. Keep looking here as you may be able to test for me)

Hope this helps...
    Quote Originally Posted by TCCCCnME View Post
    I'm not sure if the DPInst64.exe is just the installer for the Novacom drivers? I noticed that once I drug and replaced the DPInst 32 bit with the DPInst64 bit the Novacom drivers would install onto my 64 bit system.

So in that case I needed the SDK for the driver that were apart of the Novacom folder (C:/Program Files (x86)/Palm/SDK/bin/novacom) , then I needed an installer that would work with a 64 bit OS.

Could you possible take the contents of that Novacom folder with the 64 bit DPInst64.exe and include that in your next version. Possibly make it download the novacom drivers automatically?

Thanks for everything you've done. I wish I could be more help here but some of this is just over my head.
    Hi TCCCCnME,

Thanks for the info. The file you downloaded looked like a driver for an Intel wireless card. Maybe you had another driver issue that stopped all this work too? I think novacom may need some form of networking to exist to work. Im not sure.

I can't distribute the dirvers from the SDK as it was leaked and I don't think they would be too happy with that. There are some smart guys working on a driver installer for Windows 7 that should also work on Windows Vista. Ill keep an eye on that and when its complete ill add their work to my installer.

Thanks again,
    Greg
    Worked for me on XP.

Files installed without issues. Initially the installer icon didn't drag/drop. Deleted and remade the shortcut as described above, and apps install.

Total time expended: about 15 minutes. Thanks a lot!
    Everything one,

Thank you so much for your testing, support and thanks. Your help makes this project a reality.

For all of you who have had issues please download version 0.9. (See next post below)
    Hopefully I have resolved all your issues. If not please let me know.

xorg, could you please update the wiki. I have joined but it says I don't have permissions to update the page.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Instructions:
    =======================
    Download PreTool0.9 Installer.zip from PreTool 0.9 Installer.zip - Windows Live and extract the contents to a folder.
    If you have a copy of webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar to the same folder. (If not it will be downloaded for you)

To install PreBrew double click "Setup.vbs" and follow the prompts.

TO USE
    =======================
    A shortcut called "Drop File Here To Install Pre App" will be placed on your desktop.
    Drop an IPK file over this shortcut to install the file to your Pre. (Ensure your Pre is in Developer mode and in "Just Charge" mode.)

Tested On:
    =======================
    Windows 7 (64bit and 32bit)
    Windows Vista (64bit and 32bit)
    Windows XP (32bit)

NEW
    =======================
    Hopefully fixed desktop shortcut issues on Windows XP and Vista.
    Changed 32/64bit detection to hopefully fix issues with 64bit installs trying to run on 32bit OS's.
    If Windows 7 is found Novacom drivers will not be installed and you are given manual instructions.
    Novacom driver is started after installing Novacom drivers.
    Removed Java checks in Pretool batch files. (seemed to be causing some issues).
    Fixed reading settings from Setup.xml when the parent folder(s) contain spaces.
    Updated Java download links. Hopefully Java will now download.

KNWON ISSUES
    =======================
    If you are running Windows 7 follow the instructions here pre dev wiki: Novacom with Windows 7 to install the novacom drivers
    Possible download issues with Firefox (If someone can host the files I will move them)
    If you have manually created a shortcut (for previous version) remove the %1 from the target path. (Of course if the installed shorcut works delete the manually created shortcut)
    Java may not download (if required). If it doesn't please go to Java Downloads for All Operating Systems - Sun Microsystems and download and install Java. (If someone can host the files please let me know)
    The drivers may not install correctly on 64bit systems. If so please have a look through the threads for information.
    Uninstalling PreBrew will not remove the desktop shortcut. (The MSI no longer creates the shortcut Setup.vbs does.)

Other Commands
    ======================
    PreTool (installed to C:\Program Files\PreBrew (on 32bit Systems) or C:\Program Files (x86)\PreBrew (on 64bit Systems)) contains various command line options as shown below.

USAGE
    ======================
    PreTool EMU -i myapp.ipk (Installs myapp.ipk on emulator)
    PreTool USB -i myapp.ipk (Installs myapp.ipk on Palm Pre)
    PreTool EMU -l (List installed PreBrew applications.)
    PreTool USB -l (List installed PreBrew applications.)
    PreTool EMU -r com.myapp (Removes myapp on emulator.)
    PreTool USB -r com.myapp (Removes myapp on Palm Pre connected via USB.)
    PreTool EMU -c COMMAND COMMANDARGS (runs a command on emulator)
    PreTool USB -c COMMAND COMMANDARGS (runs a command on Palm Pre connected via USB)
    PreTool -d (Disables Developer Mode.)
    PreTool -PreBrew (Enables PreBrew.)
    PreTool -drv (Checks for Novacom drivers and installs if neccessary.)

NOTES
    =======================
    If any of the download links for Java or WebOSDoctor change you can change their locations in "Setup.xml"

HELP
    =======================
    Need help?
    Having any issues?

Please post as much information as you can with the below a minimum.

Windows Version: Xp, Vista, 7
    Windows Arch: 32bit, 64bit
    Any errors?
    What you have done/were doing?
    Please post your Setup.log from the installation directory.

Open a command prompt and go to c:\Program Files\PreBrew (32bit) or C:\Program Files(x86)\PreBrew (64bit)
    Run InstallApp.bat "<FULL PATH TO IPK FILE>"
    Do you see any errors?
    Last edited by greg_roll; 07/14/2009 at 08:30 AM.
    Just tried to follow the link in the forum to download the installer app and got an error message that the file was missing...did it get taken off for further tweaking?
    as soon as I posted my prior message, and went back to the forum, I saw that you already had posted a new link for v.0.9, so please disregard prior post...Thanks.
    cant seem to get any more than 35.7 k of download... ?
    oh and btw ty ty ty for all the hard work
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Excellent work greg. You are making the OP vision a reality. Thanks.

Will update the dev wiki.

Couple tidbit suggestions...
    - Consider making the .zip a self extracting .exe that runs the setup automatically.
    - When installing java, it says, 'Please wait'. Considering adding.. 'Installing Java...'
    - When no device found, need to pause the script. The windows disappears before seeing the error message.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts