Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyflipflops View Post
    Re-image off the Doctor ROM, install your apps via email link and then update. Simple.
    Well, OK, that covers how to recover from this update, which I haven't applied yet and am honestly not that concerned about because it's a good fix (and hey, I already installed that translator just to see if I could.) I'm talking in general, like when they decide to issue version 1.0.22 that, you know, removes the Konami code, removes the execute permission on everything that didn't come from an app catalog package or the update itself, implements mandatory code and/or package signing and kills your puppy.

I know, Palm is reading this and we do love Palm. They've been so even-handed and open that Linux could go GPLv3 tomorrow and I think they might still be in the clear (haven't tried to replace the kernel yet and I'd really rather avoid that.) It's like a dream phone for us free software types, or as close as we'll ever get to one with any kind of market penetration. But sooner or later, someone is going to be irresponsible.

Some ***** will make public an easy to use Pre bittorrent client, or a VOIP client that works OTA to bypass minute usage, or a bluetooth tethering program, or a program that automagically syncs your entire mp3 collection to anyone else with a Pre and the same program who comes within bluetooth range, or they'll find a way to jack the radio's transmit power up over legal limits, or sideload cracks for the demo versions of commercial Pre apps, or set up a pirate app catalog or merely a competing app catalog that's nicer and easier to use than Palm's own, and even if all the legitimate Pre sites turn their back on it and dissuade people from downloading the offending package, it will make the mainstream tech rags. "IMMINENT DEATH OF SPRINT DATA NETWORK OR POSSIBLY ENTIRE INTERNET PREDICTED."

At that point I think either Sprint, Palm or both are going to put the jackboots on. I'd like to be able to defend my property proactively in case that ever happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog469 View Post
    Some ***** will make public an easy to use Pre bittorrent client, or a VOIP client that works OTA to bypass minute usage, or a bluetooth tethering program, or a program that automagically syncs your entire mp3 collection to anyone else with a Pre and the same program who comes within bluetooth range, or they'll find a way to jack the radio's transmit power up over legal limits, or sideload cracks for the demo versions of commercial Pre apps, or set up a pirate app catalog or merely a competing app catalog that's nicer and easier to use than Palm's own, and even if all the legitimate Pre sites turn their back on it and dissuade people from downloading the offending package, it will make the mainstream tech rags. "IMMINENT DEATH OF SPRINT DATA NETWORK OR POSSIBLY ENTIRE INTERNET PREDICTED."
    Lots of good suggestions there
    Everything that has been done by the folks on the #webos-internals IRC channel is completely unaffected by the update (except for those who have patched Palm files directly and not removed the patch before the update is applied, and we are preparing a workflow to avoid that in the future).

We foresaw (and actually publicly encouraged) that Palm would fix this serious email installation vulnerability, whilst continuing to support secure developer access to the device (including the fully documented by Palm root access mechanism that the #webos-internals folks use to install an ssh server on the device). This is why we didn't waste any time packaging the Commander application up as a signed package, since we knew this vulnerability would have to be patched by Palm.

This "install by email" stuff was just an abberation, there was nothing in the update that was in any way 'against' homebrew apps, and developers should just continue using the methods that Palm has kindly provided to securely load homebrew apps onto the device.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123