1.    #1  
    I finally got up off my lazy azz and decided to root my Pre. That was done sucessfully as well as installing optware packages.

Here's my issue, something as simple as modifying a .JSJSJS $file$ $to$ ($for$ $example$) $add$ $to$ $my$ $global$ $search$ $options$ $requires$ $the$ $use$ $of$ $vi$.

vi is OK when using something like SecureCRT, but with PUTTY it's nearly impossible (at least for me) to use. So I installed NANO. It's just as bad using PUTTY.

Question:

1. How can I use SecureCRT to establish a RAW session instead of PuTTY? If I can do that then I'll be fine using VI.

If not, then is there a way can transfer each JSJSJS $file$ $I$ $need$ $to$ $edit$ $to$ $my$ $desktop$ $for$ $editing$ $in$ $something$ $like$ $notepad$?

It seems that when accessing using USB mode the real/root filesystem isn't shown (I can understand why) but it would be much easier.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    I have no problems using nano in PuTTY, it works exactly as it would if I were on my linux installation. Are you telnetting in, or did you set up dropbear/openssh?
  3.    #3  
    I'm using novaproxy and putty using a RAW connection to localhost and the port.

Maybe you just answered my question! If I install dropbear/openssh then I an SSH using SecureCRT and my worries will be over.

The issue I have with novaproxy and putty is pressing cntrl-v for example puts characters on th screen instead of actually performing the action. Or at least I can't see it properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by derrickonline View Post
    I'm using novaproxy and putty using a RAW connection to localhost and the port.

Maybe you just answered my question! If I install dropbear/openssh then I an SSH using SecureCRT and my worries will be over.

The issue I have with novaproxy and putty is pressing cntrl-v for example puts characters on th screen instead of actually performing the action. Or at least I can't see it properly.
    I've found PuTTY doesn't pass the ctrl v to the terminal very well, but I wouldn't expect it to, the best way to paste into PuTTY is to copy whatever you want, and then just right click in the window, it'll input everything for you.

Definitely setup dropbear or OpenSSH, you won't have to run talk.py every time you reboot your phone to telnet in, yet you'll still be secure because you can't use root login over SSH with the way its set up via the dev wiki.
    Quote Originally Posted by derrickonline View Post
    If not, then is there a way can transfer each JSJSJS $file$ $I$ $need$ $to$ $edit$ $to$ $my$ $desktop$ $for$ $editing$ $in$ $something$ $like$ $notepad$?
    predev.wikidot. com/sftp-access
    Install Vim 7.1 using ipkg-opt and add the following two lines to your ~/.vimrc:

set nocompatible
    syn on
  7.    #7  
    Thanks guys all good input...sftp I should have thought of that too.
    You can install nano via ipkg-opt also.