1.    #1  
    Is anyone working on an interface for the Squeezebox similar to iPeng? There's an iPeng html/css/jsjsjs $skin$ $that$ $was$ $developed$ $before$ $the$ $iPhone$ $app$ $and$ $the$ $developer$, $pippin$, $seems$ $open$ $to$ $helping$ $port$ $it$.

I don't have the programming chops to do this myself, but I'm definitely up for alpha/beta testing.

iPeng support thread - Page 70 - Squeezebox : Community : Forums
    Yes, there's a lot of Apple specific stuff in there.
    Funny enough the only desktop browser that supports it is not Safari but Chrome...

Does the NowPlaying screen work? Can you check how fast it is?

But seriously, I was merely planning to say that you (or me, or whoever, it's open source and there's already a Nokia derivative out there) could use it as a starting point for a development of a Javascript based app.
    I do also have a half-finished 0.6 version that works completely within the context of a JSJSJS &$quot$;$application$&$quot$; $but$ $that$ $turned$ $out$ $to$ $be$ $too$ $slow$ $for$ $iPhone$. $But$ $if$ $Pre$'$s$ $JavaScript$ $is$ $much$ $faster$ ($iPhones$ $is$ $now$), $this$ $could$ $be$ $a$ $starting$ $point$.
    i use the app on my iphone, but i fear to small of a niche to get one for the Pre...
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    I tried using pluging in ipeng on my SC server and looking at it via the Pre. The results were... less than sub par. Viewing via a regular browser (firefox) worked fine but nothing really worked properly on the Pre. Going to the menus just caused them to overlay on the home screen and for the life of it the now playing screen wouldn't update, though the play/ff/rr/etc buttons worked.

I personally am not apposed to the idea of developing an app, but programming is really not my forte. I'd still give it some sort of shot... in the dark (be prepared for me to re-learn everything).

I've been reading up on the SC protocols and the other SC apps out there (prontosqueeze, iphone native ipeng, etc) and I figure there are two ways to do it:

1) look like a device. If you tell the server that you are a SB or a controller you get all the updates and what not via the protocol. This is also good because you could get audio on the Pre potentially, whether it could do fancy things like sync'ed playback is another problem entirely. The wiki on the protocol is not as detailed as I'd like it to be, but i haven't delved into the paper manual very much yet. For instance, the first thing I said to myself was 'wait, where is all the track info?' which my other self responded with 'duh, it's in the media stream from the server.' The protocol does seem 'wonderfully' dumb/simple in that respect since the devices seem to do most of the grunt work that we normally think of (track info, decoding, sync'ing, etc).

2) Incessant CLI calls. I believe Moose uses this method as it requires manually inputting the library (via some of SC library files or 'manual' folder search) rather than working as a clone of a device (it doesn't show up in the SC device list).

I'll keep reading up on it, and maybe send off an application to Palm to see if they'll let me into the developer program.
    I actually found a new work around. I do like to use the standard (ajax) web interface for squeezecenter most of the time, but sometimes I use my tablet as a touch interface when I'm say cleaning the apartment. Up until I would change the skin to 'Touch' in the settings and then change it back when I was done. Well turns out (and I thought this was possible but never found documentation) if you append the skin you want to use to the end of your normal interface webpage (so squeezecenterip:9000/touch in this case) you get that skin, rather than having to change settings. Touch works well (unlike ipeng) so long as you use browse in portrait.
    Quote Originally Posted by epod86 View Post
    I actually found a new work around. I do like to use the standard (ajax) web interface for squeezecenter most of the time, but sometimes I use my tablet as a touch interface when I'm say cleaning the apartment. Up until I would change the skin to 'Touch' in the settings and then change it back when I was done. Well turns out (and I thought this was possible but never found documentation) if you append the skin you want to use to the end of your normal interface webpage (so squeezecenterip:9000/touch in this case) you get that skin, rather than having to change settings. Touch works well (unlike ipeng) so long as you use browse in portrait.
    Hi I just came back from iPhone, where I have enjoyed the fantastic iPeng app. Now back on the Pre I miss this app immensely. Until I found this
    Download iPeng | Penguin Loves Music

I tested a bit and found that if you install the iPeng plugin (web-skin) on your server. iPeng 0.4.6. works OK.

Only problem is sliders don't work - e.g. Volume and FF and REW doesnt work. But skipping and play pause, and all the rest of the interface looks good...

Dont know if anyone is still not using Android and iPhone...

But thanks for the thread.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Are you just looking for a squeezecenter client or does iPeng have some special features you're looking for on webOS too?

This is the only (as far as I know) squeezebox controlller app available: angryGoat - Software for webOS devices

Both in phone and touchpad version.
    Sure I just found that, but it is not sold my country Denmark. The phone was not released here, so I bought it from Germany.

So I cannot buy and download the app to my phone as the payment system does not allow my payment!!!!

Boo hooo

Sucks

Thanks anyway
    Sorry I got the volume working fine. What a great (web-app)!

Thanks Penguin
    Last edited by excaliburst; 11/01/2011 at 05:16 AM.