Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Im having a hard time installing the .ipk app on my pre. can you explain it to me more clearly once you connect it via usb. Im having a hard time after that. Im running windows vista. Do I go to start and enter cmd. If so what do I do from ther once I get the dos prompt.
    make sure your connecting it as charge only and not as storage device or media sync... then just drag and drop your app onto palm installer.bat
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    mapara...

Thanks this worked great but I'm curious what's the point in doing all the waiting?
    Sometimes it doesn't work right away so you need to wait.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Maybe the OP could amend his post and include instructions for Mac owners. It's a pretty simple process, and once again assumes you've installed the PalmSDK. A side note here- if you've rooted your pre, you can make a persistent Developer Mode icon appear on your launcher by following the instructions here. And now, on to the show...

Also, instructions are in this thread as well, for those keeping score at home.

1. Enable Dev mode (type "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart" from the launcher). Your phone will restart.
    2. Connect your phone to your Mac with the USB cable.
    3. Fire up Terminal, and type cd /opt/PalmSDK. UPDATE: Not needed.
    4. In the terminal app, type "palm-install -d usb ". The space after "usb" is important.
    5. Now drag your desired *.ipk file to the open terminal window. Press Enter.
    6. Bake some cookies. Have and enjoy your cookie- your work is done, and your app will instantly appear on your phone.

Update: Looks like the SDK adds it's goodies to the path, so you can omit step 3. I've updated the steps to reflect that.
    Last edited by buyrihn; 07/06/2009 at 06:38 PM.
    I thought I would add -- If you have your Pre rooted:

1. Copy the .ipk to your phone using usb mode.
    2. su
    3. mount -o remount rw, /
    4. cd /
    5. cd /media/internal/
    6. ipkg install filename.ipk
    7. mount -o remount ro, /
    8. reboot

To uninstall the program everything is the same except you use 'ipkg remove filename.ipk'
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    excellent howto. worked perfectly!
    thanks that works perfectly buyrihn, i really appreciate it
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by godlikespeed View Post
    thanks that works perfectly buyrihn, i really appreciate it
    You're more than welcome. I know you're new here, so for future reference- when you want to thank someone, just click the "thanks" button directly underneath their post. May save you some time.
    i keep getting connection refused in cmd
    Quote Originally Posted by mapara View Post
    Ok, so many people (incl. me) have some problems with signing their own ipk packages. I tried openSSL for windows, but failed.

Another way how to get an unofficial app installed on your devices is to enable dev mode and just install it via USB.

Here's how:

1.) have your ipk ready
    (CMD --> palm-package yourappfolder | or download/get it from someone)

2.) kill the Palm SDK emulator and WAIT like 3-5 mins

3.) enable DEV MODE (just type: upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastar and click the icon - you will have to restart Pre)

4.) connect Pre via USB (just charge) - make sure no error happened; otherwise unplug and try again

Wait again 2-3 mins.

5.) CMD --> palm-install -d usb nameofyourapp.ipk
    You need to be in X:\program Files\Palm\SDK\bin to do that.

Example (for my app):
    palm-install -d usb com.mypreapps.lottopicker_1.0_all.ipk

6.) profit

-------------------------

BTW: Do NOT waste 18 bucks on that stupid "Palm webOS, 1st Edition" book. It SUCKS!!! You can learn more from web and samples in SDK folder.

HAVE PHUN!
    I'm new here and like sooooo lost. I did all the steps and can't find the part in 'my computer' tht would lead me up to "You need to be in X:\program Files\Palm\SDK\bin to do that." I don't see any folders with these names..ie, beginning with 'program files'. Please help! thanx in advance
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brandee621 View Post
    I'm new here and like sooooo lost. I did all the steps and can't find the part in 'my computer' tht would lead me up to "You need to be in X:\program Files\Palm\SDK\bin to do that." I don't see any folders with these names..ie, beginning with 'program files'. Please help! thanx in advance
    You want to make sure you download the SDK. After you do, you'll have the necessary requirements to see those directories.
    Has anyone figured how to install apps from a linux workstation to a Pre using the java apps? Currently, I ssh into the Pre and either scp or sftp to grab the apps and install them. I got the emulator to work but can't get any apps installed on it to test...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang46L View Post

2. su
    4. cd /
    5. cd /media/internal/
    8. reboot

To uninstall the program everything is the same except you use 'ipkg remove filename.ipk'
    It seems you can do "/usr/bin/luna-send palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}" instead of rebooting in step 8.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts

2. su
    4. cd /
    5. cd /media/internal/
    8. reboot

Mustang46L, I've followed your steps and can successfully install an app on my rooted Pre. Unfortunately, when I attempt to remove the app, it's a no go. Here's what I get in Putty:

No packages removed.
    Nothing to be done

Then it returns to the command prompt. When I analyze the file system, it shows that my app was installed to /usr/palm/applications.

Shouldn't apps I install be located in /var/usr/palm/applications ? That's where all of the ones I've tried from the App Catalog were installed. Did I misconfigure something when I rooted this sucker? Any ideas?
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    jeeter,

Sorry. I forgot to mention that you are going to have to go to the folder where the app installed to run the uninstall. Depending on the app is where it might install to. Sorry, others might have more insight as to where they may be.

Also yes, I have now found out that "/usr/bin/luna-send palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}" is much easier than a reboot =)

Sorry, not a linux professional here, just a failed computer programming student.
    I've been scrolling through the thread and still not sure of this question. If you install apps using the "unrooted" way, can they be deleted? If this has been answered....sorry in advance.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    jeeter,

Sorry. I forgot to mention that you are going to have to go to the folder where the app installed to run the uninstall. Depending on the app is where it might install to. Sorry, others might have more insight as to where they may be.

Also yes, I have now found out that "/usr/bin/luna-send palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}" is much easier than a reboot =)

Sorry, not a linux professional here, just a failed computer programming student.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

I usually use "pkill LunaSysMgr" to trigger the resetting of the launcher. I like it because it's not much to type
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12