Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Results 121 to 135 of 135
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by linwiz311 View Post
    And don't forget that Javascript can be compiled for better performance. If Palm feels it's not fast enough, they can use borrow some code from Google's open source V8 engine.
    I thought it already used V8?
  2. #122  
    is google going to get in trouble for doing something similar? their os only has chrome, and probably only has built in links to google apps for email, documents, calendar, maps, search.
    No. Microsoft got in trouble because they had a monopoly and then abused their market power to kill Netscape. They basically gave discounts to computer manufacturers to not pre-install Netscape.

    Google does not (and probably will never) have a significant market share for operating systems and so it'll never apply.
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    i personally think a netbook is really only good for surfing the internet because they are just not very snappy for running office or quicken, i'd much defer those tasks to my real laptop.

    even for internet, it's painfully slow when it comes to flash video. if chrome os can strip everything down so that i can surf the internet smoothly, and flash runs fast, i think it really does everything i want from a netbook.
    Maybe you just don't have a particularly good Netbook. I run Quicken and Office 2007 on mine and the only issue I have is the size of the screen. I won't be deferring any of those tasks to a "real" laptop because I don't own one.
  4. #124  
    DevExpert,

    I commiserate with you on your opinion of Javascript.

    I too did quite a bit of JSJSJS + $XMLHTTP$ $work$ $back$ $when$ $IE$ $5$.$0$ $first$ $came$ $out$. $And$ $was$ $affronted$ $when$ $this$ &$quot$;$ajax$&$quot$; $acronym$ $came$ $around$. $Bah$! $I$ $was$ $doing$ &$quot$;$ajax$&$quot$; $back$ $in$ $99$.
    I worked out of San Francisco back then, and did quite a bit of ASP work. Now days it's all C# and Java, although I did enjoy my stint writing code in HB++ for the Palm5.0 - maybe they'll come up with a decent environment.


    So, back to DevExpert's question - has anyone discovered a true interactive debugging environment for writing Pre code? Once this is available complex application construction will move much more quickly. I certainly hope we can get around the SQLite db inclusion problem too...

    -AM
  5. #125  
    There is a command line debugger. Sure it's not pretty but it appears to be complete.

    As for fancy IDE's, there are dedicated JSJSJS $ones$, $they$ $are$ $not$ $as$ $evolved$ $as$ $ones$ $for$ $static$ $languages$, $but$ $the$ $argument$ $goes$ $that$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $need$ $that$ $much$ $code$ $completion$ $because$ $the$ $language$ $is$ $much$ $more$ $concise$. $And$ $I$ $somewhat$ $agree$. $JS$ $is$ $far$ $more$ $expressive$ $than$ $Java$ $or$ $C$#. $Refactoring$ $will$ $be$ $an$ $issue$ $as$ $with$ $all$ $dynamic$ $languages$. $Really$, $there$'$s$ $not$ $much$ $of$ $a$ $difference$ $between$ $JS$, $Python$ $and$ $Ruby$ $for$ $this$ $kind$ $of$ $development$.

    I've also been through the '99 ajax days and have bitter memories, but it's been a decade, and JSJSJS $development$ $today$ $is$ $not$ $what$ $it$ $used$ $to$ $be$.

    To get an idea, watch the webOS unit testing webcast Christian Sepulveda did. It's on YouTube.

    And notice his IDE bu Jetbrains. They know how to create good IDE's.
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    I do remind you that Firefox's entire UI is javascript/xml and is quite hardcore...
    Seriously. 246k worth of JSJSJS $making$ $up$ $the$ $core$ $of$ $your$ $Firefox$ $browser$:

    hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/tip/browser/base/content/browser.jsjsjs

    I'm too much of noob on this forum to post links, so just copy and paste the above. And there's more where that came from. Add-ons, too.
    l.m.orchard
    {web,mad,computer} scientist
    http://decafbad.com/
  7. mikekey's Avatar
    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #127  
    this thread is like a windows vs OS X debate.
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekey View Post
    this thread is like a windows vs OS X debate.
    And like 4 months old.
  9. mfive's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #129  
    would love to hear the OP's opinion only a few short months later from bashing our platform and calling it a "hack".

    Let's hear it guy!
  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    would love to hear the OP's opinion only a few short months later from bashing our platform and calling it a "hack".

    Let's hear it guy!
    Why would it have changed?
  11. #131  
    The constant improvements, 3d games, and pdk.
  12. mfive's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Why would it have changed?
    is that even a legitimate question? I think webos has shown its true colors and the power that lies behind this platform. I'm not sure if you asking that really even dignifies a response...
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    The constant improvements, 3d games, and pdk.
    The PDK is a very positive development but their has been some sort of unofficial PDK since the Pre was announced. It would have been impossible to develop the PalmOS emulator or the Sprint Nav without such a capability. Its great that they have made it available to the great unwashed though. It could really help the platform. The javascript/HTML only policy wasn't going to be very successful.

    The 3D gaming hooks was technically quite impressive. I would personally rather play such games on a PSP with dedicated hardware buttons but the technology will have other applications.

    None of these announcements really alter the WebOS architecture though so someone who thought it was a hack are unlikely to change their mind. They may even (and have) compared Palm's move to Apple backing down and making their native SDK available to third party developers.
  14. #134  
    lol. yep. like a windows vs. os x debate. or a wii vs. xbox debate.
    not to mention the kernel is linux...
    so write a small javascript program to call up linux code
    which is fully capable of any program you could imagine.
    LEARN about something before you bash it.
    I know almost nothing about programming, however I read your argument and laughed. It's javascript. It's EVERYWHERE, and increasing in capabilities as we speak.
  15. #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by sublimexistence View Post
    l
    LEARN about something before you bash it.
    I know almost nothing about programming, however I read your argument and laughed.
    You should perhaps consider following your own advice. You admit to knowing nothing about programming but feel qualified to comment on my argument. You probably shouldn't bother reading this thread, you should certainly not be posting in it.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Posting Permissions