Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Ok ... so don't ask why ... but I thought it would be fun to try the rooting procedure on the emulator. It doesn't work. You never get past entering the Konami code ... no developer mode switch comes up. (you may laugh at me now)

Nerp
    Quote Originally Posted by nerp View Post
    Ok ... so don't ask why ... but I thought it would be fun to try the rooting procedure on the emulator. It doesn't work. You never get past entering the Konami code ... no developer mode switch comes up. (you may laugh at me now)

Nerp
    The emulator is already rooted, just ssh to localhost port 5522 and login with root/root.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    The emulator is already rooted, just ssh to localhost port 5522 and login with root/root.
    can i get that in english please. i don't speak geek
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    How did you find out the port? Actually, since they included Putty, I figured that there was an SSH running somewhere, but I couldn't figure out where. So I tried to nmap to find the port since it wasn't 22 or 555, but apparently nmapping localhost is not really supported. :/

I did discover something else interesting in my travels ... the udpate app on the emulator doesn't try to update at all. I ended up running a pcap against the emulator box:

C:\Program Files\Sun\xVM VirtualBox>vboxmanage modifyvm "Palm Emulator (sdk47)" -nictrace1 on -nictracefile1 e:\pre-netcap.pcap

... and saw that it actually never sends any data over the wire for update.

THANKS FOR THE INFO tho ... Really appreciate it!

Nerp
    ok, let's try this again then.

1) you do not need to root the emulator, it is pre done.
    2) to access the emulator's linux you will need a program that can do ssh. Oh windows, use putty. On everything else, use ssh.
    3) with the emulator running, open a session using the ssh protocal to the system id "localhost" using port 5522 instead of the 222 that was used in rooting the actual pre.

and you're done. There's nothing to do.
    How did you find out the port? Actually, since they included Putty, I figured that there was an SSH running somewhere, but I couldn't figure out where. So I tried to nmap to find the port since it wasn't 22 or 555, but apparently nmapping localhost is not really supported. :/

I did discover something else interesting in my travels ... the udpate app on the emulator doesn't try to update at all. I ended up running a pcap against the emulator box:

C:\Program Files\Sun\xVM VirtualBox>vboxmanage modifyvm "Palm Emulator (sdk47)" -nictrace1 on -nictracefile1 e:\pre-netcap.pcap

... and saw that it actually never sends any data over the wire for update.

THANKS FOR THE INFO tho ... Really appreciate it!

Nerp
    I can't take credit, "destinal" in the irc told me about it, he found it via netstat.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    It can also be determined by looking at the Palm Emulator (sdk47).xml that is created for the VM. It contains all the "outside" ports, 5522, 9991, and 5858.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    This didn't work for me - With the emulator running, I tried using putty in SSH mode to connect to both localhost:5522 and the specific IP for the VirtualBox Host-Only network and got "connection refused" both times. After turning Windows firewall off, I got the same message.

I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong?
    Nerp
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    My VM is set to NAT, not Host-only. Perhaps thats your problem.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    My VM was set to NAT as well, I just tried the VirtualBox Host Only Network IP without realizing that (along with localhost) ... niether of which worked for me. For kicks, I changed the VM to Hostonly and retried, but still wasn't able to get a putty connection to 5522.

This has got to be one of those "is it plugged in" problems.

*frazzle* :/

Nerp
    My VM was set to NAT as well, I just tried the VirtualBox Host Only Network IP without realizing that (along with localhost) ... niether of which worked for me. For kicks, I changed the VM to Hostonly and retried, but still wasn't able to get a putty connection to 5522.

This has got to be one of those "is it plugged in" problems.

*frazzle* :/

Nerp
    Mine works and is on NAT, the only thing i can think is some kind of security software.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Perhaps deleting the VM and having the emulator recreate it will reset everything. I've had the VM stop being able to install new ipk's thru palm-install which deleting fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyshoveldj View Post
    Perhaps that is your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    We're working on an Optware feed for the emulator too, so you'll be able to install the same optware apps on the real device or the emulator.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    ^^^ That will be awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyshoveldj View Post
    Google for "ssh" and learn what the program does (it connects to another computer to run programs remotely, or to log you in to a shell "terminal window".) ssh normally operates on port 22, but since the emulator is special, they use port 2222 instead. (Please don't ask what a shell is.)

thanks, -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Google for "ssh" and learn what the program does (it connects to another computer to run programs remotely, or to log you in to a shell "terminal window".) ssh normally operates on port 22, but since the emulator is special, they use port 2222 instead. (Please don't ask what a shell is.)

thanks, -- Bob
    5522 rather than 2222.

They install a virtualbox NAT port forward from 5522 on the host to 22 on the guest.

The virtualbox doc has instructions on how to do this, so you can choose whatever host port you want. They have 5522 enabled by default.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    All good, except port 5522.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I've now tried re-installing the SDK, changing the host port, disabling every firewall I can think of -- all with no joy. :/ I'm running Vista. Is anyone else running Vista who is getting this to work?

I'm going to try installing an XP virtual box and setting them both to the "internal network" on virtual box to see if putty can access via XP through the internal network. My current assumption is that this is some Vista security "feature" that I'm running up against. If this turns out to be an easy fix, I'm going to hang my head in shame at this point.

Nerp
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We're working on an Optware feed for the emulator too, so you'll be able to install the same optware apps on the real device or the emulator.
    Really? I was under the impression that all of the optware packages were for the ARM architecture, and the emulator is emulating an x86 machine running webOS. That'd be awesome to get it to work, but I'd think you'd have to recompile all the packages, wouldn't you?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast