Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    OK I love cell phones and alot of technology. I'm moving up to 8th grade after this summer but have already taken my SAT and about to take my GDP so I can get into an early college aviation class. My brother isn't as technical as me but has some skills when it comes to computers and my sister’s friend is taking css and knows java. I have found a great site for learning basics but after that I'm not sure where to go and have no knowledge in Linux but want to develop for the pre and hopefully show my dad that I deserve it. If any of you know what to do or what books to read that be great. Any support will also help. Oh and to save this from people telling me, I know that this is a job that takes years to get good at but I have to start young and I have done things before that I have surpassed people much older than me so I believe I can take this on.

Ps. I'm not positive on what I will develop but there’s a computer game I love that I would love to see put on a mobile phone, I’m not sure if I need to contact the developer of that game for rights or tips but that’s my goal

edit: i have the sdk running already
    Last edited by seemefly1; 06/28/2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: forgot something
    If you have the sdk up and running that means you have virtubox up and running..

Go and download Ubuntu linux iso image.. then create another install of a virtual computer in vrtubox..

Open up virtubox and click "New" and just follow the steps...
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Ok I'm downloading Ubuntu iso image. With the new virtual box how do I get the Ubuntu in it, and I’m guessing this will open a new card to develop with
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    update: i have a few sites that i need to look into for learning some of this. im still lost when it comes to getting started for writing the app with the sdk.

Getting Started with webOS
    W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
    http://palmone.r3h.net/downloads.pal...ebos_chap1.pdf
    HTML and CSS Tutorials, References, and Articles | HTML Dog
    Hi,
    there are example apps included in the sdk, you might want to try and run them and then modifiying them first to understand the basics.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roar View Post
    Hi,
    there are example apps included in the sdk, you might want to try and run them and then modifiying them first to understand the basics.
    ok so if i was in memos how do i get into it to change it
    Start by checking out the HelloWorld app. It will show you some bare bones basics of an app structure. It will also be useful in figuring out how to package and install apps to the emulator.
    I don't think you could change change Memos since it's source code is not included in the sdk. You can find the examples in the /share folder of your sdk installation. Hello World example is in share/tutorial/HelloWorld and other apps are in share/samples
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    im having trouble finding the thread for hello world. i dont know but i always get an error when searching
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ok i emailed the link to myself for simply flip flops what do i do now
    If you have the SDK running you don't need to email links, you don't even need the actual phone, since there's an emulator which you can use to develop and run your apps.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    roar yes i know but i cant find were you start to write an app
    To run the HelloWorld application in the emulator, do the following:
    open the command line window
    navigate to your sdk installation
    navigate to the bin folder
    launch the emulator and wait till it's booted
    invoke the following commands on the command line:
    palm-package.bat ../share/tutorial/HelloWorld
    palm-install.bat com.yourdomain.hello_1.0_all.ipk
    palm-launch.bat -f com.yourdomain.hello
    The hello world example app should now open in the emulator. Try and editor the source code for the hello world app to get started.
    Quote Originally Posted by roar View Post
    To run the HelloWorld application in the emulator, do the following:
    open the command line window
    navigate to your sdk installation
    navigate to the bin folder
    launch the emulator and wait till it's booted
    invoke the following commands on the command line:
    palm-package.bat ../share/tutorial/HelloWorld
    palm-install.bat com.yourdomain.hello_1.0_all.ipk
    palm-launch.bat -f com.yourdomain.hello
    The hello world example app should now open in the emulator. Try and editor the source code for the hello world app to get started.
    Hey Roar!

Thanks! That was incredibly helpful! I was actually wondering the same thing... and this really helps!

Props!