Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    This is a really cool hack, but I run with GPS turned off most
    of the time to extend battery life. Any way for this script to turn it
    back on? Without it, you'd only get within a few blocks of your phone
    at best using the cellular triangulation.

ian
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.location/setUseGps {\”useGps\”:\”true\”} >/dev/null 2>&1
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.location/setUseGps {\”useGps\”:\”false\”} >/dev/null 2>&1
    Since I am ignorant when it comes to linux code, it would be awesome to see this as an app in the homebrew app area. I do like the ability for the app to run invisible also. Looks awesome, wish I could have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    im having trouble getting this to work. I have the script in the right place, but i lose it here

sudo -i
    mount -o remount,rw /
    ipkg-opt update
    ipkg-opt install cron
    /opt/bin/crontab -e
    # Add script and intervals here
    mount -o remount,ro /

what do i put in there and do i need to do sudo -i initctl start crond
    Inside the cron control document, you need the cron instructions, which is the 6 columns in a single line thing. The 1st 5 columns tell to when to run, the 6th column tells it the path to where the script file is located. you can look up the particulars of how to format the 1st 5 columns anywhere online for cron.

Also, I didn't actually use that cron file. I put the script in /home/scripts/track.sh, and then editted the cron file /etc/cron/crontabs/root with the appropriate scheduling line, which looked something like 0,20,40 * * * * /home/scripts/track.sh for me. I don't remember which is best or for what reasons, but that's what I did the first time to get it working at least.
    /opt/bin/crontab -e

in putty brings up a blank file. I put my scheduling line in that blank file?

I've read somewhere i thought that this file gets cleaned out each reboot....
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/15/2009 at 01:48 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Ikyo, thanks for the quick GPS turn on lines.

Also, using the script in the OP like it is to send an e-mail out of the messaging program, the sent message appears in the messaging program. Would it be complicated to add another line or 2 at the end of the thread to delete the "sent message" that it just sent? Or send it in such a way that it won't show up there at all?

Sending the info to a server, w/ SQL or another method, is also nice, but the e-mailing it to my g-mail account is pretty nice too, especially if that "sent message" didn't show up. Seems like the script given can find if the most recent message contains a certain string, could a similar string search be used, and then delete the message it finds?

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    /opt/bin/crontab -e

in putty brings up a blank file. I put my scheduling line in that blank file?

I've read somewhere i thought that this file gets cleaned out each reboot....
    The cron file is blank by default, it'll have just one line for each job you put in it. If the tracking is the only job, then it'll just be one line.

And you may be correct that that file gets emptied on reboot, and that may be the reason I read to put it in /etc/cron/crontabs/root instead, I really just don't remember at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    Inside the cron control document, you need the cron instructions, which is the 6 columns in a single line thing. The 1st 5 columns tell to when to run, the 6th column tells it the path to where the script file is located. you can look up the particulars of how to format the 1st 5 columns anywhere online for cron.

Also, I didn't actually use that cron file. I put the script in /home/scripts/track.sh, and then editted the cron file /etc/cron/crontabs/root with the appropriate scheduling line, which looked something like 0,20,40 * * * * /home/scripts/track.sh for me. I don't remember which is best or for what reasons, but that's what I did the first time to get it working at least.
    That's listed as alternative method, but would i need that as well?
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I have a version that sends the data to a SQL database, but didn't do much else with it. It could be tied to a GoogleMaps with their API, but I am not familiar enough with it to write anything at the moment. D0lphinKing did make an app that is homebrew that has a lot of the same features of the scripts. You might want to take a look at it first.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    A cool application of this would be a GUI app that would allow an authorized Pre to request another authorized Pre's location. Perhaps this could work with ssl authentication, based on secure initial delivery of appropriate keys.
    Can someone create a more comprehensive and complete tutorial on how to enable cron and activate this script? No matter what I do, I cannot get it to work.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    so was anyone able to get rid of the text message embedded in the script?
    This is really cool, and I can't believe I didn't think of it before! I'm weighing the benefits of adding some other features, too - remote erasures of contacts and other sensitive data, maybe even somehow deleting some important system files to disable the phone, etc? Setting off an "alarm" involving constant buzzing, light blinking, etc? The possibilities are endless!
    It has been almost a month since I asked last. So is this project dead?
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    It has been almost a month since I asked last. So is this project dead?
    I think it is still alive...check out the wiki for updates.

The script now does :
    - at the beginning of the script, turn on GPS if it is off
    - at the beginning of the script, turn on Location Services if it is off
    - at the end of the script, turn GPS back off, if it was off when the script started
    - at the end of the script, turn Location Services back off, if it was off when the script started
    - added altitude and altitude accuracy information to message
    - added the ability to only send the message if GPS coordinates have changed since the last run
    - added the ability to send a message on the hour even if GPS coordinates have not changed
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I need to put in some work this weekend, but I've set up a web site where you can essentially create an account, then log in and see where your phone's been at. You'll be able to turn tracking on and off (ie, don't report back where the phone is at until you actually care), as well as playing a really loud alarm tone so when you drop the Pre into the couch, you can find it.

I need to work out a couple bugs in the script that goes on the Pre, then update the web site so it has all the right buttons, but I'm close.

Waiting for 1.2 to be released as well, since I suspect a lot of folks are gonna use the Dr. to clear their devices.
    I am doing a running race this weekend where we have to solve clues and run around a city. It would be SOOOO helpful if my support crew could look at a screen and see where I am to guide me (i.e. go left on Main, and the next check point is 2 blocks on the right). Is there an easier solution than what you guys have posted here? And since I will be taking pictures and talking on the phone, will an app like that slow my Pre to an unuseable crawl???
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    The "hourly chime" patch utilizes cron as well, however, I'm having difficulty getting my script to work when the phone is in sleep mode. Does the script for the GPS tracking mod run while the phone is in sleep mode? If someone has figured out how to get it to work, can you post the solution? Many thanks!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12