Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    A rooted Pre is much easier to test on. Trust me.
    I agree. The emulator and Pre different in functionality some.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I am new at this , how does this version work and where do I download it to ? How does this help my phone ? Thanks

Steve
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsecrets View Post
    I am on windows7 beta still and it expires in 5 days so I have to reinstall before then anyways, so I installed it. It does indeed look to be the sdk. It has the emulator and all of the files including some sample files. Doesn't look like there is anything in the way of documentation whatsoever, and I have no idea how new/old the code is. The emulator requires virtualbox 2.2 or newer to run which I don't currently have installed, so haven't tested that. I don't really know what anyone would get out of this that they can't get from a rooted pre and the code that was already leaked, but if it helps people get some apps going all the better.
    Unless you are on a very old version of Windows7, you have until June 2010.
  4. ooc
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjcea View Post
    I am new at this , how does this version work and where do I download it to ? How does this help my phone ? Thanks

Steve
    If you have to ask...
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Hi Guys-I'm not a developer. I am a trainer that wanted the emulator for training end users.I did get the Emulator/SDK downloaded, installed, and seems to work fine.

What I really hoped this would do , is be like the PRE version of PDA REACH, a program that emulates my Treo plugged into the computer, and it's actual screen and functions.

Is this beyond the scope of this emulator? Was it only using the bare bones OS and icons built into this download? Or can I somehow create a link to my PRE, and emulate its screen onto the computer. If so, could I get a little "how to"?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dacsoft View Post
    Unless you are on a very old version of Windows7, you have until June 2010.
    He said he was using a beta which does shutdown, the RC on the other hand doesn't until 2010.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Some of you have asked what is the difference between using a rooted pre. If you open a command line and enter

Code:
    palm-generate "yourNewAppNameHere"
    Then the sdk automatically creates a default template for your new webOS project. I will post more as I figure it out.
    I personally think the only benefit of testing on the emulator rather than a rooted Pre is that the emulator reboots a ton faster, so if you do something that requires a reboot, it's less sitting around waiting for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmdr Grunt View Post
    You have users who can't post links to other websites off the bat for whatever reason,
    That 'whatever reason' is to prevent spambots from coming on and linking to their websites in their first posts.

Another smaller forum I'm on has a huge issue with that, and it appears to be working great here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I personally think the only benefit of testing on the emulator rather than a rooted Pre is that the emulator reboots a ton faster, so if you do something that requires a reboot, it's less sitting around waiting for it.
    I got my Pre last night and was surprised to have the SDK this morning. Is testing on a Rooted Pre is still the way to go?
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    The download link doesn't work anymore - someone please post the file .exe again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    A rooted Pre is much easier to test on. Trust me.
    I don't doubt that, but the whole point of webOS using web tech is that it's easier to program for. Rooting my Pre, as easily as it's demonstrated by those with the knowledge to do so, is a level I never care to learn.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Thank you
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Plus you don't have to void your warranty to develop. Not only can you run apps in the emulator, you can also push them out to your webOS device without rooting it (I know you can email yourself a link without rooting). I personally have no interest in voiding my warranty. (Not sure that it voids it but I think I have read somewhere that rooted pre's aren't covered)
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ok i keep getting this error but have no idea what to do

FATAL : No bottable medium found! System halted
    _

please help
    This SDK seems pretty useless... correct me if I am wrong... NO DOCS... NO IDE... NO DEBUGGER that I can see...

Its just an emulator and some sample projects...

Am I missing something... This is no better than what we can already do with a rooted phone...

hmmm????
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edster9 View Post
    This SDK seems pretty useless... correct me if I am wrong... NO DOCS... NO IDE... NO DEBUGGER that I can see...

Its just an emulator and some sample projects...

Am I missing something... This is no better than what we can already do with a rooted phone...

hmmm????
    lol I was just about to come and ask the same thing.

I installed it, and.... exited it since I didn't have any documentation which would provide me details to figure anything out.

Cool to look at though I guess
    My guess is that this is a much much earlier SDK and not what people really have now...

There must be more out there that can be leaked... come on... don't hold back, who ever you were... give us the rest... hehehehe...

But then again this could be all that there is... No real IDE yet available and the DOCS are probably some closed website or document floating out there (if any)
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seemefly1 View Post
    ok i keep getting this error but have no idea what to do

FATAL : No bottable medium found! System halted
    _

please help
    i installed the vitual baox but i remeber when downloading it said it would need to reboot, i rebooted even thought it never asked and got nothing same error message
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edster9 View Post
    My guess is that this is a much much earlier SDK and not what people really have now...

There must be more out there that can be leaked... come on... don't hold back, who ever you were... give us the rest... hehehehe...

But then again this could be all that there is... No real IDE yet available and the DOCS are probably some closed website or document floating out there (if any)
    Ya.. hopefully someone figures something out because its practically useless. Had a few ideas for apps...

btw I see people having errors, I just installed the SDK, installed virtual box, didn't reboot, and just ran the SDK and it worked perfectly.

WinXP
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast