Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedgo View Post
    i don't really understand what's so amazing about this emulator version...
    i have it running.
    but i don't understand the whole buzzzzz!
    There's a lot of people with no physical access to the phone since there's still no GSM version. IMO this is better then watching everybody around playing with the phone a testing new apps knowing you *can't*
    okay so i had problems with Win7 RC and the SDK installer
    so i installed the VirtualBox and configured a new VM
    Now i can enter the SDK ..the problem is that VirtuaBox can't see the right resolution
    How can i change this ?
    Please help!
    As someone already mentioned here, navigate to the VirtualBox directory, there should be app named VBoxManage. Then launch the terminal (aka command line) in that directory and run this:

VBoxManage setextradata "YourMachineName" "CustomVideoMode1" "320x480x32" (set YourMachineName according to your machine name)

You'll get the right resolution then.
    I've heard the solution above several times, but my question is how do I access the terminal in Windows? When I run Vbox manage, I simply see some lines flash by really quickly before it closes. Forgive my noobishness. I tried modifying my SDK install path for Win7 x64 as was suggested, but now when I click the Palm emulator shortcut, it says that the emulator can only run with Virtualbox installed =/

Oh, and excuse my noobishness =[
    Last edited by napilopez; 06/28/2009 at 04:51 AM.
    As Wikipedia says, there should be available classic cmd.exe in Windows 7. Try Window+R on the keyboard or some "Run command" and then type cmd. Terminal window should be displayed.
    Thanks djdisturbed I can now control the phone \o/

Has anyone managed to get their wifi working?
    Quote Originally Posted by czechdev View Post
    As someone already mentioned here, navigate to the VirtualBox directory, there should be app named VBoxManage. Then launch the terminal (aka command line) in that directory and run this:

VBoxManage setextradata "YourMachineName" "CustomVideoMode1" "320x480x32" (set YourMachineName according to your machine name)

You'll get the right resolution then.
    I have no luck at doing this. FYI, I am running Win XP on a Mac using Parallels, is it possible to run this emulator ? ERROR : can't find machine bla bla. What's the name of the machine ? Palm Emulator ? SDK47 ? Hmmm...

The screen is black, when I check the properties of the machine running, it indicates that it is running with 320x480x32 resolution, but still nothing seems to appear.

Please help me out here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Anybody got this working under Win7 64bit?
    Yes, works like a charm here. This is great stuff! :-)
    Hi,

I don't have actual pre yet, so I am trying SDK out.
    Can someone tell me how to access App Catalog? Is it possible to do this
    from SDK or is this only possible through real phone?

Also is it possible to do update through SDK? I tried it but it is still doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Is there a readme file anywhere in the download that indicates what the minimum (and nominal) requirements are (ie: on XP, how much memory, and what speed/architecture CPU)?

EDIT: Chris: I think that info would be useful to add near the beginning of your tutorial web page.
    Good idea - added
    Quote Originally Posted by edektor View Post
    For those of you who have the emulator working on os x and you have novacomd installed from the webos doctor.

1st: cd /opt/nova/bin
    2nd: ./novaterm

There you have it... Your in!!!(as root) Run some commands to confirm

Try "sbin/reboot" and it should reboot

Please don't hesitate to thank me if this was helpful

thanks!

any way to "share" the /usr/palm/applications folder? i tried thru virtualbox but no idea where it gets mounted. It would be great to access the /usr/pal/app folder from my mac so i could work directly on those files and not have to reload everytime
    Quote Originally Posted by leowyatt View Post
    Has anyone managed to get their wifi working?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbeears View Post
    Can someone tell me how to access App Catalog?
    Also is it possible to do update through SDK? I tried it but it is still doing it.
    No, these probably won't work.

The SDK is an EMULATION of the phone. As such there are several things stubbed out. The SDK is really only meant to be used to develop new applications for the phone, and not for a demo of the phone. If you are really trying to see how the phone works, then go to a retail store and demo the real deal. If you're outside the USA, then you'll have to wait.

The network is bridging through your computer's network. So WiFi, Bluetooth, and EVDO, won't function as they do on a real device.

Several applications are stubbed out, audio and video don't work in this version of the SDK. e.g. The camera application is just a picture of a camera.
    has anyone figured out how to change the orientation in the emulator (i.e. rotate the device 90 degrees)?
    Adding the custom resolution allowed me to start the SDK from Vbox rather than the Emulator.

Works fine now.
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    Heres how you can SSH into your emulated WebOS and still keep the internet working in the emulator.

Keep the default Network adapter settings for the virtual image. Open up command prompt, cd to C:/Program Files/Sun/xVM VirtualBox and type these commands:
    Code:
    ./VBoxManage setextradata "Palm Emulator (sdk47)" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/ssh/Protocol" TCP
    ./VBoxManage setextradata "Palm Emulator (sdk47)" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/ssh/HostPort" 2222
    ./VBoxManage setextradata "Palm Emulator (sdk47)" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/ssh/GuestPort" 22
    That's it. Now you can putty into localhost port 2222 as root with no password.
    Thank you very much for that tip, but I keep getting a "connection refused" error when attempting to putty into the emulator using localhost, port 2222. (I also get the "connection refused" error when attempting to install a basic Hello World app (via palm-install.bat) on the emulator using the instructions from a link posted by ClickOnChris in an earlier post (post #230).) I know the above commands worked because I see them added to the VBox XML file for the emulator. I'm running Vista Home Premium (32-bit) with the Windows Firewall temporarily off in case it was a firewall problem. (I have no other firewall program installed.) Does anybody have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it!
    I wasn't really wanting to test out the phone because I will have to wait for the GSM version but how can I test out an application that needs to retrieve data from the web?

Say I want to write an app to retrieve sports scores and news. Can I do this without a phone and what we have now?
    Posting from the Pre emulator also. This is awesome!
    Please help me i would like to start coding!
    I have win 7 RC 64bit. i have installed:
    Java SE
    Safari
    VirtualBox
    PalmSDK-Win-0.3.4 (under c:\palm because of 64bit)
    But when i start Palm Emulator from my desktop it says "Palm Emulator requires that VirtualBox 2.2.0 or greater is installed". I have that installed, and i have tryed to uninstall/install mutiple times.

What can i do? Is there a work-a-round?
    Did you try installing the SDK -after- virtualbox?
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post

Note #3:
    Ideal solution would be to use Bridged networking, but in this case, the emulator did obtain an IP address from my local DHCP but did not obtain the correct nameserver. But you can try that for your installation.
    It actually did get the correct nameserver, but hard coded in /etc/udev/scripts/network.sh to overwrites /etc/resolv.conf