Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    could it possibly be talking about the virtual hard drive? I had to create one. I'm pretty sure i did it right. And I linked to the iso file from the sdk. Not sure what's wrong. I installed the sdk before virtual box though. But does that really matter?
  2. STNC
    Is anyone having an issue when you reset it shows up as fatal: no bootable medium found!
    Quote Originally Posted by edektor View Post
    Hey that would be awesome if you could give me that automator workflow you were talking about. And when you boot from VBVBVB $what$ $do$ $you$ $do$ $about$ $the$ $screen$ $resolution$?
    First, I did the following:

Quote Originally Posted by czechdev View Post
    Hi there,
    though the SDK is a Windows-only application, the Emulator can be run also on Linux or Mac OS (running the rest of the SDK is another thing...). You need to install the SDK via Wine and then run the VirtualBox image.

Here is a short howto:
    1. obtain the SDK
    2. download and install VirtualBox including the kernel modules
    3. download and install Wine
    4. run the Windows installer in Wine
    5. after the installation is completed, note the image and grub boot ISO location (default: ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Palm/SDK/share/emulator/images/sdk47/nova-cust-image-sdk47.vmdk and ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Palm/SDK/share/emulator/images/sdk47/grub.iso)
    6. start VirtualBox
    7. create a new Debian machine; specify the .vmdk file as a source image and grub.iso as a CD-ROM boot file (and note the machine name)
    8. run the following command to enable HVGA framebuffer resolution in VirtualBox: VBoxManage setextradata "YourMachineName" "CustomVideoMode1" "320x480x32" (set YourMachineName according to your machine name)
    9. your new Palm Pre is ready

After start, the machine should produce kernel command output and then show a glowing Palm logo and finally the Luna environment.
    Screenshot at img140. imageshack. us/i/pre3.png/
    I named my VM "PalmPre" and set up an Automator Workflow that I described before. It launches the VirtualBox app, starts the VirtualBoxVM app & starts the PalmPre VM. You can save it as an application if you want. I'm hosting the Automator Workflow incase you need to change some parameters (VM name, etc) & the App that I made from the workflow (can do this in Automator). I'm also including the 256x256 png of the Emulator icon that I found in a Java file. See the list of attachments that I'm including.

Just as another warning, you need to have your VM named "PalmPre" as well in order to use the Launcher app that I made. You can open up the Workflow & change the VM name to the one that you have & then just save it as an app & it'll work like any other launcher. Just let me know if any Mac user has any problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    General warning: I installed this, and it broke my Windows XP install. Blue screen on startup, safe mode or not.

It downloaded and installed fine - problems came after reboot.

In the process of installing Ubuntu now
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdaq View Post
    General warning: I installed this, and it broke my Windows XP install. Blue screen on startup, safe mode or not.

It downloaded and installed fine - problems came after reboot.

In the process of installing Ubuntu now
    WWhoa now THAT is scary! could it have been a coincidence? hopefully its an isolated case but that would really scare me if i could not get into safe mode after installing this and BSOD. talk about bad luck, good thing my data is automatically backed up to external RAID once a week, its saved my important data countless times.

Maybe someone should put a disclaimer on the first post to use at your own risk? you'll love ubuntu BTW. i dual boot Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows XP just so i have a spare secure OS install outside of the windows partition in case things get ugly...also helps for the work i do having all the tools included in the os
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I certainly wish I had a NAS...but it's ok. No data lost. I just booted an Ubuntu LiveCD, which automatically finds and mounts my Windows NTFS volumes. In the process of backing up now.

On boot, Windows bluescreen says something about a service that it can't find...or something to that effect. Then it immediately reboots itself. This is not a coincidence, this install had been working fine for well over a year. It was, however, rather bloated

I'm as anxious as anyone to see the homebrew community start shooting out the excellent apps that I know they will - but just approach this early SDK with due caution. This is not mature software.
    I have to wait til August 1st to get my Pre and the emulator is making me want it even more, I can't wait
    does anyone know how to get the app store to work? i got it on there, but it keeps saying that i need to turn off airplane mode.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    How'd you manage to get the app store on the emulator?
    I downloaded it just to help seed it for awhile. I won't use it myself. ii

Come on guys get to building cool apps!!! ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    i wish i had the smallest amount of programming knowledge.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerrer View Post
    does anyone know how to get the app store to work? i got it on there, but it keeps saying that i need to turn off airplane mode.
    How'd you do that? I'm assuming you transfered it from your phone?
    I like the emulator, but where is the center button?? I click on an app and am stuck in that app. The mouse gestures are not working (I am clicking-holding-dragging the mouse to immitate the finger gestures, but cant bring up the wave or card view app)...
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
    Quote Originally Posted by tomyboombotz View Post
    the forum didnt signed the nda so that dont have to del this threat and on top of that there no hosting the sdk there just allowing there member to post it so as i see it there doing nothing wrong and my personal opinion palm is allowing this to get are blood going to see whats to come just my opinion
    Damn. Was that painful to read:

... didnt signed the nda / didn't sign the NDA ...
    ... that dont / they don't ...
    ... this threat / this thread ...
    ... there no hosting / they're not hosting ...
    ... there just allowing there member / they're just allowing their members ...
    ... there doing nothing wrong / they're doing nothing wrong ...
    ... get are blood going / get our blood going ...

Capitalization and punctuation is, of course, lax on the internet, but when combined with the above ... damn!

BTW, del is acceptable shorthand for delete, so that's cool.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I have the emulator running, but I can't get it to actually run at the correct resolution. I'm running VirtualBox in Windows...how do I the command "VBoxManage setextradata "YourMachineName" "CustomVideoMode1" "320x480x32""? I can't find anywhere to input this.
    Looks like no one has clearly answered the "where is the SDK" questions yet. It was answered back on like page 5 or 6 though. There are several samples under SDK/share/samples. I Installed the UIWidgets and ran it. There are several sample interface widgets in there. Then I peaked at the code which is well documented. It seems to me that just studying the sample code and layouts of the sample programs is all one (who actually knows how to program) will need to write apps for the WebOS. Of course I'm sure buying the o'Riley book can't hurt either.
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    Root access into the emulator:

- power down the emulator
    - start virtual box from start menu
    - click Network on the Details tab
    - change from NAT to Host-only
    - power up emulator
    - now the emulator should have IP address 192.168.56.101 (in my case, see note #1)
    - use putty to connect and login with root and no password

Note #1:
    In the global settings of VirtualBox, Network, Host-only adapter, DHCP, you can see the lowest address and this is the address of the emulator.

Note #2:
    When using Host-only networking instead of NAT, the emulator cannot connect to the internet anymore.

Note #3:
    Ideal solution would be to use Bridged networking, but in this case, the emulator did obtain an IP address from my local DHCP but did not obtain the correct nameserver. But you can try that for your installation.
    Finally got this to work Can't get it to mount like a normal drive. Can only view it in RBrowser on my Mac. Only the directories listen in "/" show up (dev & root). Can't go up any higher than that for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by eisnerguy1 View Post
    ...I got the emulator set up in VirtualBox on my Mac. I have 1 question though, has anyone had the audio work in the emulator? I can't play any YouTube videos or Mp3s that I'm emailing to myself. It always produces an error...
    As I understand it the SDK does not support video or audio at this time. If you're writing an app with these features, then final debugging with playback would have to occur on real PrPrPr&#$275$; $hardware$.

Also, several features are stubbed out. e.g. The camera App brings up an image of a camera.
    Last edited by genoahous; 06/28/2009 at 12:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by czechdev View Post
    Hi there,
    though the SDK is a Windows-only application, the Emulator can be run also on Linux or Mac OS (running the rest of the SDK is another thing...). You need to install the SDK via Wine and then run the VirtualBox image.

Here is a short howto:...
    Thank you very much. I did everything but the last step and just couldn't get past the terminal. Since at the beginning of the boot process you get to choose the resolution mode I did search for 320x480 but there just wasn't one even close to that and neither one that I tried worked.

However, I still can't get the emulator to connect to the internet. I'm running VirtualBox on Debian laptop connected to WiFi but the usual VirtualBox Network settings that work for a WindowsXP guest don't work here. How did you set that?
    Want to get the best Android Apps on your webOS device? Tell HP we need OpenMobile ACL!
    Sign the petition today at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/a...apps-on-webos/
    Quote Originally Posted by prabhg View Post
    I like the emulator, but where is the center button?? I click on an app and am stuck in that app. The mouse gestures are not working (I am clicking-holding-dragging the mouse to immitate the finger gestures, but cant bring up the wave or card view app)...
    I've been able to get the wave to work exactly once in the emulator and have not been able to repeat. When it worked, I clicked and dragged up from bottom of screen... YMWV

The Home key on your keyboard is the center button. For more info see my keyboard, mouse, and notes thread.