Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I just looked through much of the code and couldn't find any code dealing with sleep/wakeup. I'm trying to get the home button to wake the phone up from sleep. Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by tozfeekum; 06/27/2009 at 12:31 AM.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    ha ha! toz feekum indeed !
    Quote Originally Posted by tozfeekum View Post
    I just looked through much of the code and couldn't find any code dealing with sleep/wakeup. I'm trying to get the home button to wake the phone up from sleep. Anyone have any ideas?
    So you'd like your phone to turn itslelf on in your pocket all day long? Home button wakeup on iphone is ok - it's indented - on pre doesn't make much sense...
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    So you'd like your phone to turn itslelf on in your pocket all day long? Home button wakeup on iphone is ok - it's indented - on pre doesn't make much sense...
    you would obviously need to unlock it also....

put you finger, and drag it out of the box....
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post

At the very least the box needs to be smaller. I've missed countless calls because I didn't swipe it long enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post

Still seems like you'd turn it on in your pocket about 200 times a day and at the very least help to kill the batt quicker...
    Yep, would be very easy to turn it on in your pocket and run your battery down. I'll look around and see if I can find an hack for it though.
    I think using the home button to wake the phone would be a very bad idea for about 90% of the users out there. Unless you are using some kind of holster it would turn the phone on constantly.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I'm not a unix guru - but, if the wakeup functionality is embedded in the OS (maybe so since you can't find any code that seems to handle it), perhaps write a shell script looking for a particular keypress (I would start out thinking it's the home key since that's what the emulator uses). There's a good discussion of monitoring for a keypress event in a shellscript here:

w w w .unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/77072-keypress-event-shell-script.html

The question is - what would you do to turn the screen on? It would have to be something simple and non-destructive to the current UI state.

FWIW, I agree that the button might kill bat faster, but as an option, I think it's important. With the RocketFish case (which comes with a holster), the wakeup button is annoyingly and ever-so slightly obscured by the thick plastic. This has led me to pushing the home button more than once expecting a wakeup.

Nerp
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I would like to see a mod to have the home button answer an incoming call. This way it wouldn't do anything different except when the phone is ringing.
    You guys are insane. You know how hard it would be to have that home button actually depress enough in your pocket to register a "click"?? The button/ball is sunk in anyway, so you have to really press in on it to get it to click. Theres no way it would be accidentally going off in your pocket.

I say hack the hell outta this & make it at least turn on the screen so you can unlock it the regular way. I hate having to click on the top of the phone to do this now. Tops of phones should be reserved for power buttons & things of this sort, not something that you have to use as often as turning on the friggin screen. And its dumb that all the ball/button does is go home when its so prominently displayed.
    Maybe a double tap would be a good compromise? I'd be all for that.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    How about just allowing the button to turn on the screen when the keyboard is out, since that would obviate the problem of turning it on in your pocket and also enable it when I most need it.
    I dont' think I've touched the home button since day 1. Hope someone comes up with something to make use of this button.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Umm.. the button is pretty firm, I doubt you could accidently pocket-press it.. unless you wear some pretty tight pants.
    yeah, I can't imagine the button getting pressed in my pocket, unless I was wearing pants that cut my circulation off, and I had a metal plate pressed up against the button side of my pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    At the very least the box needs to be smaller. I've missed countless calls because I didn't swipe it long enough.

its not that hard to just flick it?
    I think it makes sense to have the home button answers a call since the power button dismisses the call. ??