Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Oh man...so I decided I wanted to root my Pre because I am fairly literate when it comes to things like this, but wow...I am a dummy. I have gotten through the basic stuff, putting the konami code in...downloading the necessary drivers, etc...but then I got to reading and freaked myself out by how much work is really needed to securely root this thing. Now that I've put in the konami code, is it necessary to root? How do I get out of dev mode? Any hints? I think I'm leaving my little guy as is if I can change it now...please help!!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    You're not obligated to root just because you've enabled Developer Mode (opened ports on the firewall, in essence). You can just do the konami code again and turn Developer Mode off. If you've already started the rooting process and want to undo your changes, it might be a good time to introduce yourself to the Palm Backup and the WebOS Doctor- revert this puppy to factory state and then restore your backup.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Ahh, Nullity, you're a life saver. I think I'll just wait to root until I've read up on it more. I like my phone being more than a paper weight.
    Read lots of Linux terminal FAQs before you try a bunch of stuff ...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Just FYI, you can copy and paste the commands from the rooting guide into Putty. Just copy the batch of commands from the webpage to your clipboard, and then right click anywhere in the Putty window (right-click = Paste). You can have your Pre rooted in 5 minutes that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by bp6088 View Post
    Just FYI, you can copy and paste the commands from the rooting guide into Putty. Just copy the batch of commands from the webpage to your clipboard, and then right click anywhere in the Putty window (right-click = Paste). You can have your Pre rooted in 5 minutes that way.
    I don't recommend just copy-pasting commands if you don't have a clue what they mean. Like I've said before in another thread, root privileges are very dangerous in the hands of newbies and it is rather easy to make a mistake, break something badly and brick your phone. And at some point you're going to have to edit something and be like "uh what, how do I do that? If I just type echo "foo bar >/boot/vmlinuz" will that work?

At the very least get somewhat familiar with the Linux command line environment before you start.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    I don't recommend just copy-pasting commands if you don't have a clue what they mean. Like I've said before in another thread, root privileges are very dangerous in the hands of newbies and it is rather easy to make a mistake, break something badly and brick your phone. And at some point you're going to have to edit something and be like "uh what, how do I do that? If I just type echo "foo bar >/boot/vmlinuz" will that work?

At the very least get somewhat familiar with the Linux command line environment before you start.
    At the most, he'll have to reload his Pre with web doctor, its really no big deal. I've done the copy and paste route from the rooting wiki, with great success. Granted, I did understand the commands, and know they'd work, but if I can do it, so can anyone else.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    It's really not too difficult, as long as you can input basic commands. If you got nervous after entering developer mode, you'll probably be better off NOT rooting your device. Turning off developer mode is pretty easy- undoing the potential changes you may make on your device, not as much.
    I was pretty nervous when I rooted my pre and thought that it might not be a good idea. Once I got over it I found it easy to do, extremely interesting, and a lot of fun. I now have a serious interest in learning Linux. Tonight I had my pre on my touchstone across the room, SSH'd into it and copied the pictures I took today onto my server. It was real cool.