Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Someone posted to the main forum that they saw a massive savings in battery life when they turned off notification, but left vibrate or play sound on.

If you think about it, it makes sense-- after the radio, the backlight is probably the biggest drain on the battery.

So here's the thought-- we know that there's a proximity sensor in the phone to turn off the screen when you hold it up to your face. Use that to tell if the Pre is in it's case or not, and if it is, don't bother to turn on the screen to notify you of something you can't read anyway.

You save battery when it's on your belt, but you can still put the Pre on a table if you're waiting for an important message, and don't trust that you're going to feel the vibration or hear the sound.

Just a thought for anyone looking for a project over the weekend
    Good idea.
    Here's a wild guess, though. Isn't the "proximity sensor" just the capacitive multi-touch sensor being "multi-touched" by your whole cheek? If so (and I'm not positive it is, but it seems likely) then you'd have to have a case that can trip the capacitive touch sensor.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    No, it's actually an IR sensor or something near the earpiece. If you call your voicemail, then hold an object near the earpiece, you can see that the screen turns off when you get within about a centimeter of the phone, but you don't actually have to touch the phone to trip it.
    The biggest and easiest battery saver in my opinion is turning off the GPS locator. I went from the the battery lasting only 6-8 hrs to 16-24+ hrs. Just remember to turn the locator back on for Google map directions or sprint navi. Apps still work with GPS off.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I took turned off gps and auto locate on and my batter y has double or should i say trippled today. Aim is turned off, googletalk is deleted, gmail set to look every hour, screen is set to stanby in 30 secs, brightness is one click away from min. been using the phone since 10am 3 thirty min calls, a bunch of texts, now 1am an im jus now at 33percent...

jus my two cents
    Quote Originally Posted by alasvegas View Post
    The biggest and easiest battery saver in my opinion is turning off the GPS locator. I went from the the battery lasting only 6-8 hrs to 16-24+ hrs. Just remember to turn the locator back on for Google map directions or sprint navi. Apps still work with GPS off.
    I leave the GPS locator on, no issues. CPU Scaling for the win.

This is a very cool idea, and could also work for when the phone is in your pocket. Wish I knew how to implement this.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    In theory, easy to hard-code in-- find the section of code that turns on the screen for 5 seconds, find the section of code that checks the proximity sensor, apply code section B around code section A.

Trick is finding those code sections