1. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Sorry to not do a thorough search for this already answered but I want to solve this asafp so I can close up my pre and be secure.

I've made it to installing dropbear and step 7 on this page: pre dev wiki: Dropbear Install

It says
    For example, from a Linux desktop you would run.

ssh -p 222 PRE-USERNAME@YOUR-PRE-IP-ADDR

I'm running in a Mac and when I put this into terminal it times out. Yes I subbed in the username I created and my IP address right now I am trying it with my username in caps. If this doesn't work, what do I do from a mac?

Thanks so much.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post
    Sorry to not do a thorough search for this already answered but I want to solve this asafp so I can close up my pre and be secure.

I've made it to installing dropbear and step 7 on this page: pre dev wiki: Dropbear Install

It says
    For example, from a Linux desktop you would run.

ssh -p 222 PRE-USERNAME@YOUR-PRE-IP-ADDR

I'm running in a Mac and when I put this into terminal it times out. Yes I subbed in the username I created and my IP address right now I am trying it with my username in caps. If this doesn't work, what do I do from a mac?

Thanks so much.
    You did set up drop bear on 222 right? You might try port 22 just in case, and you might want to double check the ip address of the pre.
    No caps. If your Pre account is 'marco' you'd login as ssh -p 222 marco@x.x.x.x
    If this doesn't work then I guess Dropbear isn't running.
  4. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Well this entire screen has happened, I also tried port 22 (in a new terminal window) and it still timed out. I don't need my password anywhere do I?

oot@castle:/etc/event.d# initctl start optware-dropbear
    (01050/837390136) optware-dropbear (start) waiting
    (01050/838977050) optware-dropbear (start) starting
    (01050/840380859) optware-dropbear (start) pre-start, process 1929
    (01050/886218261) optware-dropbear (start) spawned, process 1933
    (01050/887805175) optware-dropbear (start) post-start, (main) process 1933
    (01050/889056396) optware-dropbear (start) running, process 1933
    I had that problem, i soft-reset my phone and then it was fine
  6. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    How do I soft-reset the Pre? I'm assuming this is the equivalent of poking the little hole in the back of the Treo?
  7. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I reset the phone in the Device Info app and I still can't connect. Can I move on to
    mount -o remount,ro /
    which is the next step?

By the way, I also don't really understand the next steps:
    9. Reboot your device and confirm that you can still access it after it boots using SSH.

I'm assuming reboot means the soft-reset I just did. And accessing it is using what, novaterm? Terminal via dropbear like the step I'm stuck on? "Using SSH?"

10. Once you are able to ssh in, disable dev mode. Dev Mode enabled opens the firewall up — not a safe position to be in. Unless you mess up and NEED to telnet or novacom in again, keep dev mode off.
    Does the first part mean "once you are able to complete step 9?" I'm guessing disabling dev mode is accomplished with the konami code. Then if I want to mod things (add launcher pages, enable webpage DLing) don't I need dev mode on?
  8. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    So I've given up for now. I kept trying to log in with dropbear, and then I found that the original telnet (novaterm) window appeared frozen, so I quit terminal. I then opened up again by clicking on the "novaterm" icon (which by the way went through all the rooting steps itself the first time I opened it). I couldn't figure out how to get back into the right directory for OpenSSH (trying the other option) so I did the read-only command, and then turned off developer mode.

Can someone please tell me what steps I may still need to take before I'm able to do modding (adding launcher pages, enable in-browser downloads) and to make sure my phone is not vulnerable? Also, now that I did complete the initial rooting steps, can I download the apps that say "rooting required"? Do those apps require any other work, beyond installing on a rooted machine?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post
    So I've given up for now. I kept trying to log in with dropbear, and then I found that the original telnet (novaterm) window appeared frozen, so I quit terminal. I then opened up again by clicking on the "novaterm" icon (which by the way went through all the rooting steps itself the first time I opened it). I couldn't figure out how to get back into the right directory for OpenSSH (trying the other option) so I did the read-only command, and then turned off developer mode.

Can someone please tell me what steps I may still need to take before I'm able to do modding (adding launcher pages, enable in-browser downloads) and to make sure my phone is not vulnerable? Also, now that I did complete the initial rooting steps, can I download the apps that say "rooting required"? Do those apps require any other work, beyond installing on a rooted machine?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help.

pre dev wiki: OS X Rooting via USB cable

Novaterm is much eaiser than SSH on OS X.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  10. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    pre dev wiki: OS X Rooting via USB cable

Novaterm is much eaiser than SSH on OS X.
    I did the whole thing through that exact site. I'm not even sure what SSH is. I click on Novaterm and it opens the Terminal program and I do it all from there. Which is great cause I can copy and paste from the wiki instead of making sure I'm typing it right.
  11. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    If anyone is still paying attention, I appear to have been able to log in. Last time I was logging in using terminal, opened raw, which looks to me now like it was a bonehead mistake, because I was able to log in using novaterm.

Step 9 in the Dropbear installation says
    9. Reboot your device and confirm that you can still access it after it boots using SSH.

Not sure what that means but I will open up novaterm again and see what happens.

hm... what happened is this:

Last login: Fri Mar 13 13:04:16 on console
    /opt/nova/bin/novaterm ; exit;
    tuzs-macbook:~ TuzMB$ /opt/nova/bin/novaterm ; exit;
    unable to find device
    logout

[Process completed]

And when I did the Konami code, dev mode was still on. I just turned it off and am waiting through the painful restart time. Then I'll turn it on again and see what happens...

Well it appears to have worked. Now I'm trying to find the imdb search image. OVer and out...