1.    #1  
    I am trying to follow along the News Reader example in the rough cuts O'Reilly WebOS book and develop the News Reader app they have as an example. Since I do not have the SDK I am developing straight onto my Pre. Developing on the device is a bit of a pain but its the best I can do right now without the SDK.

Hopefully anyone else doing the same can post on this thread and we can help each other get through the book.

If there is already a thread out there like this please direct me to it, I didn't find one searching.
  2.    #2  
    Right now I am stuck on the section where you add the feedList scene. I am following the explanation but am not getting an updated list (just getting the static list setup in the previous section).

I think the reason for this is 'feedlist-assistant.jsjsjs' $isn$'$t$ $being$ $pushed$ $from$ $anywhere$. $I$ $would$ $think$ '$stage$-$assistant$.$js$' $should$ $be$ $modified$ $to$ $push$ $feedList$ ($it$ $still$ $refs$ $storyList$) $but$ $the$ $instructions$ $don$'$t$ $say$ $to$ $modify$ $the$ '$stage$-$assistant$.$js$'. $When$ $I$ $tried$ $changing$ '$stage$-$assistant$.$js$' $to$ $push$ $feedList$, $I$ $just$ $get$ $a$ $blank$ $card$.

Another question:

The directions say "Don't forget to update sources.json with the new scene."
    Seems pretty straight forward, here is what I my sources.json file looks like. Am I doing anything wrong?

[
    {
    "source": "app\/assistants\/stage-assistant.jsjsjs&$quot$;
    },
    {
    "source": "app\/assistants\/feedList-assistant.jsjsjs&$quot$;,
    "scenes": "feedList"
    },
    {
    "source": "app\/assistants\/storyList-assistant.jsjsjs&$quot$;,
    "scenes": "storyList"
    },
    {
    "source": "app\/assistants\/storyView-assistant.jsjsjs&$quot$;,
    "scenes": "storyView"
    }
    ]

Thanks for any help. Sorry if I am being unclear.
    Last edited by schoksi; 06/26/2009 at 03:00 PM.
    I got as far as possible. The ProcessFeed function that he refers to is not on the pre. I suspect it will be in the appendix. So until I can get that, I am stuck.
  4.    #4  
    I was just starting to come to the same conclusion. That sucks. Thanks for the confirmation.
    Hey are you having to program straight onto the device also? If so do you know of a quicker way to see changes to the javascript files? It seems I can see html changes just by closing the card and starting the app again but to see changes to the scripts I have to restart the Pre which takes an annoyingly long time.
    Yep. Right on the device. There is a command to restart the lunasysmanager or something. It is on the wiki. That is faster.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Did anyone have problems getting the app to run the first time? I've tried to the point where I'm so frustrated I want to throw my laptop against the wall and I cannot for the life of me figure out why the storyView.html scene won't get pushed passed the index.html page. I'm following the instructions, I've copy and pasted to make sure I didn't screw anything up, and nothing. I get absolutely nothing but the index.html page.

I cannot figure out what's wrong. Help please. Did anyone else run into any problems?
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by portorikan View Post
    Did anyone have problems getting the app to run the first time? I've tried to the point where I'm so frustrated I want to throw my laptop against the wall and I cannot for the life of me figure out why the storyView.html scene won't get pushed passed the index.html page. I'm following the instructions, I've copy and pasted to make sure I didn't screw anything up, and nothing. I get absolutely nothing but the index.html page.

I cannot figure out what's wrong. Help please. Did anyone else run into any problems?

Figured it out. New to Java Script. Apparently, it doesn't like line breaks. Problem solved.
  8. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by portorikan View Post

I got it to run originally, but then the book was revised on Safari Books Online and since then I cannot progress. I’m now at the part (page 70) where you add in feeds.jsjsjs $and$ $make$ $the$ $associated$ $amendments$, $but$ $for$ $the$ $life$ $of$ $me$ $I$ $cannot$ $get$ $it$ $to$ $run$. $All$ $i$&#$8217$;$m$ $seeing$ $is$ $a$ $blank$ $index$.$html$ $page$, $so$ $the$ $first$ $scene$ $isn$&#$8217$;$t$ $even$ $being$ $pushed$. $I$&#$8217$;$ve$ $connected$ $to$ $the$ $emulator$ $via$ $putty$ $but$ $there$ $is$ $no$ $erro$ $being$ $listed$ $there$ $when$ $I$ $monitor$ $the$ $output$ $via$ log appname so I’m completely stuck now.
    The book doesn’t ever ask you to add models/feeds.jsjsjs $into$ $sources$.$json$ &#$8211$; $does$ $this$ $have$ $to$ $be$ $added$?
    Has anyone run into this problem?
    I cannot figure out the problem for the life of me....
    I am having the same issue. Did you ever find the resolution?
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I am having the same issue. Did you ever find the resolution?
    Worked it out. There are two issues with the book's example that need to be fixed. Firstly the author neglected to mention that the Feed.jsjsjs $file$ $needs$ $to$ $be$ $added$ $to$ $the$ $sources$.$json$ $file$. $Second$, $the$ $multiline$ $strings$ $in$ $Feed$.$js$ $need$ $to$ $be$ $changed$ $to$ $single$ $line$ $or$ $the$ + $syntax$ $employed$. $This$ $second$ $problem$ $would$ $have$ $taken$ $about$ $a$ $minute$ $to$ $find$ $ans$ $fix$ $in$ $a$ $real$ $programmong$ $language$ $like$ $java$ $instead$ $of$ $a$ $totally$ $lame$ $scripting$ $language$ $like$ $javascript$. $Thanks$ $Palm$ ($Papple$).
    I'm confused about feeds.jsjsjs: $on$ $page$ $44$ $the$ $books$ $says$ $we$ $should$ $create$ $it$ $under$ News/app/models -- but I don't have a models directory under app, just views and assistants. I'm developing in Eclipse. Should I create that directory? Or keep all my javascript in assistants?

OK, found the answer to my own question at developer.palm.com. This site won't let me post a link to it, but you can search for "webOS Application Basics" or article id 1603. models is an optional directory.
    Last edited by rebeccaj; 11/13/2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: question answered