Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have merged the dbus service code that ShinAli and PreGame wrote, and have packaged it up as an ipkg which can be installed by root on the command line.

It's available at http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...rnals.services

You can use ipkg-opt to install it.

To test it, run:

Code:
    sudo luna-send -n 1 palm://org.webosinternals.shell/runCmd '{"cmd":"echo Hello, World!"}'
    cphelps and Rick have written a GUI app whch can call this service.

It's available at http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...nals.commander

Thanks to all those in #webos-internals who were involved in getting all this to work.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    nice work rw!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    What does this do?
    Quote Originally Posted by mhelfer View Post
    What does this do?
    I havn't installed it yet, but it's supposd to be an app that you can run and enter Linux bash shell commands on your Pre. (Think of it as a "terminal" application.) You need to root your pre before being able to install this.

Hopefully more reports will come in from the field as people try this out.

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    The icon for commander seams like a kick in the pants, using a windows command prompt icon to access the linux command line But technically this is awesome to access things the Mojo API cant yet. Thanks!
    Sorry about that. Sometimes I engage in attempts at humor. C:\> just seemed like the RIGHT icon for a command line interface.

Version 2 coming soon.
    Whats in version 2?
    Can you send multiple commands from one call to the service? Maybe with the | or ; possibly?
    The GUI seems to be failing on me even though the luna-send test command worked.

I just get:

#echo Hello World
    Failed.

Maybe version 2 fixes whatever is happening.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 06/26/2009 at 04:11 PM.
    the service lacks an event.d script that will cause the service to run after reboot.

and other things. You could try stacking commands with ; --- | is a pipe BETWEEN commands.
    I just re-installed the service to make sure it was currently running, and did the luna-send command, which worked, and then without rebooting the Pre or anything, did "echo Hello World" and still got the same failed error.
    well, that's odd.

the luna-send starts the service. We are working -right now- on a new ipk which has a startup script in it so that the service gets started on reboot.

but in our experiance (admittedly limited) after running a luna-send, the commander app works.

there is an updated version of commander up now (much prettier) but the updated startup scripts for the service are not yet up.

Soon.
    One other question.... does the shell service run as root, or do you have to do sudo before a command that you want to run elevated?

Edit: After somehow getting it to work (not sure what I did differently this time) I ran the whoami command to see it's running as root.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 06/26/2009 at 09:28 PM.
    This is good, but scary
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by tharris View Post
    This is good, but scary
    Yep, this is a clear example of what the email installation vulnerability could do if someone sent you a phishing link.

That's why we haven't released a signed ipkg at the moment. To use this at the moment, you must have already made the conscious decision to use the secure ssh access and sudo priviledge elevation to install the ipkg as root. You can't be tricked into doing that.

PreGame has some good ideas about how to make the service ask for user confirmation before running stuff as root, but no timeline on anything like that yet.

BTW, there is an unsigned ipkg for the commander app there now too.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Version 2 and the commander ipk are working great now, thanks.
  17.    #17  
    Version 0.4 of org.webosinternals.services is now available.

It now starts the service immediately after installation, removing the need to reboot. It also makes the rootfs writeable before installation, and makes it read-only again after installation.

Version 0.2 of org.webosinternals.commander is now available.

It now has the dependency on org.webosinternals.services made explicit.

-- Rod
    well, nothing like having your moment in the sun taken by someone leaking the sdk. :-/
    I still find it very useful (more so than the SDK) if that helps.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, any reason why it seems that the cd command was left out? Just seems like a weird one to not be implemented.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 06/27/2009 at 03:03 PM.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I still find it very useful (more so than the SDK) if that helps.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, any reason why it seems that the cd command was left out? Just seems like a weird one to not be implemented.
    Heh - from talking to people who have used the SDK, it seems that neither the SDK nor the rough cuts book would telll you how to run a shell command as root from the webOS UI.

The Commander app currently effectively invokes a new shell for each command you type. So the 'cd' command works, but only in the single shell that gets invoked for that command - the next shell that gets invoked for the next command starts with the working directory back where it was.

-- Rod
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast