1.    #1  
    Are just some of the things we could have...

Maemo is an OS based on Debian Linux that runs on Nokia mobile devices. Palm Pre also runs on Debian Linux. I'm not a Linux guru but can anyone tell me if this would be possible? Because If Maemo is using the same OS base and middleware components then wouldn't it be easy to bring these features and apps to the Palm Pre's OS? I'm sure I'm hardly the first person to think of this but for those in the know, what's the reality of this?

From Maemo Wikipedia:

Maemo comes with a number of built-in applications, but additional applications can be installed from a number of sources, including various official and community software repositories and deb files through either the built-in package manager "Application manager" or apt and dpkg.

Bundled applications include the Mozilla-based MicroB browser, Macromedia Flash, Gizmo, and Skype.[11]

Third-party applications

Due in part to the free and open source nature of Linux and Maemo, porting applications to Maemo is a straightforward procedure. Because of this, there are many third-party applications available for the platform. Some applications are original software written specifically for Maemo, while other applications are straight ports of existing Linux programs. Some notable software includes:

Media players: Canola (with network streaming), MPlayer

Internet: Claws Mail, Modest, Midori

Office applications: Gnumeric (spreadsheet), Abiword (word processing)

Instant Messaging: Pidgin

VOIP: Gizmo Project, Skype

Games: The Battle for Wesnoth

Others: FBReader (e-book reader), GPE (OpenSync compatible PIM), rdesktop (RDP remote access), Rhapsody (subscription music, US only), ScummVM (game emulator), Wayfinder (fully featured GPS navigation software), Free42S (HP 42S calculator emulator), gPodder (podcast client), Maemo Mapper (includes GPS functionality), MaemoMyth (MythTV frontend that uses GMythStream), Monsoon HAVA (TV viewer and controller), Navit (GPS navigation software), Obscura Photo Manager, Palm Emulator from Access (ARM based Palm emulator), Phonelink (SMS and voice caller via BT), Quiver Image Viewer, SDict Viewer (sdict-based dictionary/encyclopedia viewer), Vagalume (Last.FM player), VNC, YouAmp (music player)

Debian: The complete ARM Debian distribution can be installed as a Maemo application.[12], making thousands of software packages available (including OpenOffice, Firefox, Java, the GNOME desktop, etc).

Filetype support

• Video: MPEG-1, MPEG-4 ASP (H.263), RealVideo, AVI, 3GP
    • Audio/playlists: MP3, RealAudio, MPEG-4, AAC, WAV, AMP, MP2, AMR, AWB, M4A, WMA. OGG/Vorbis (requires addon package), M3U, PLS
    • Image/Animation: JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIFF, PNG, SVG Tiny, ICO
    • Text/layout: text files, PDF, HTML.
    It would have to be a similar processor, or we'd have to have the source code to really make any of this work. Its not as simple as you seem to think it is, and Palm OS isn't really too debian like, its pretty much custom linux.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    It would have to be a similar processor, or we'd have to have the source code to really make any of this work. Its not as simple as you seem to think it is, and Palm OS isn't really too debian like, its pretty much custom linux.
    N800 uses:
    330 MHz TI OMAP 2420

So the N800 is using an OMAP2 ARM11 chip and the Pre is using a OMAP3 Cortex, I'm guessing they both have to be Cortex chips for it to be similar???

Far as "custom linux" is that because it uses Luna?
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    You're not going to get far porting apps unless you're willing to run them outside of Luna. I'd say give it a few months and you'll have a native equivalent of just about anything you'd want.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    N800 uses:
    330 MHz TI OMAP 2420

So the N800 is using an OMAP2 ARM11 chip and the Pre is using a OMAP3 Cortex, I'm guessing they both have to be Cortex chips for it to be similar???

Far as "custom linux" is that because it uses Luna?
    ARM 11 isn't the same as the Cortex A8, I wouldn't be surprised if code made to run on ARM 11 won't run on the Cortex A8. The iPhone 3.0 OS isn't the same for the 3g and the 3gs, its a different download(and yes, one has more features, but thats besides the point).
  6.    #6  
    ARM 11 isn't the same as the Cortex A8, I wouldn't be surprised if code made to run on ARM 11 won't run on the Cortex A8. The iPhone 3.0 OS isn't the same for the 3g and the 3gs, its a different download(and yes, one has more features, but thats besides the point).
    But are you aware that Maemo 5 is already in beta SDK and has moved to OMAP3?

maemo.org - Announcements: First Maemo 5 SDK release targeting platform developers
    But are you aware that Maemo 5 is already in beta SDK and has moved to OMAP3?

maemo.org - Announcements: First Maemo 5 SDK release targeting platform developers
    Great, so then the next issue you have to overcome is getting these apps to work in Luna.
  8.    #8  
    Great, so then the next issue you have to overcome is getting these apps to work in Luna.
    That's what I'm saying let's get on this!!!
    That's what I'm saying let's get on this!!!
    Got the SDK yet?
  10.    #10  
    Got the SDK yet?
    You can download it here but the SDK is for a 32bit Debian based distro.
    You can download it here but the SDK is for a 32bit Debian based distro.
    Thats not the Palm SDK :facepalm:
  12.    #12  
    Thats not the Palm SDK :facepalm:
    No I had mentioned there was a Maemo 5 SDK in this thread I thought that was what you were referring to. The Palm SDK won't be released till the end of the year.
    No I had mentioned there was a Maemo 5 SDK in this thread I thought that was what you were referring to. The Palm SDK won't be released till the end of the year.
    I know, so how are we to get to work on this with no SDK?
  14.    #14  
    I know, so how are we to get to work on this with no SDK?
    I'm not a developer (I'm trying to learn) so I'd hope to spur some developer ideas but I'll throw out some ideas that I had for implementing new apps:

Homebrew
    Linux shell
    Dbus
    DirectFB (for graphics)
    Cross-compiled kernels

What do you think?
    Where did you get the end of the year date from?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Where did you get the end of the year date from?

-- Rod
    From the top of my head. I think it was something like end of the year or end of the summer... End of something! I feel like you're going to write me up a ticket if I'm wrong I was just going off the cuff since this thread was not specifically about the exact release date on the WebOS SDK. So forgive me if I was wrong.

Really the purpose of this thread was to help people interested in WebOS development to have an open exchange of ideas and thoughts starting with one of my own. I'm hoping that real developers and linux gurus like yourself can be an educational and positive voice here.
  17.    #17  
    Got the SDK yet?
    Actually I just got it (the WebOS SDK) but I assume that you probably got it too since it appears that everyone that signed up has got it today.
    Actually I just got it (the WebOS SDK) but I assume that you probably got it too since it appears that everyone that signed up has got it today.
    I'm not a developer, I'm just a tinkerer with a little Linux knowledge, and a DIY attitude
    Negatory on that front. I signed up, and got nothing as of yet.