Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I've got another thread about me having to use "scp" because I couldn't input a "sudo" command using either Fugu or CyberDuck on Mac. While playing around with the file structure, I realized I was able to upload (that was the problem- not being able to upload files TO the Pre) to some directories. As you've correctly guessed, it was a file permission issue.

Well, here's the thing. I want to be able to wirelessly sync new music to my phone, and to do that, I'm going to fire up CyberDuck (I mistyped that with an "f" multiple times just now. Really changed the tone of the entire post) and upload files. Can't do that though, unless the permissions are 777, instead of 755. Which brings me to my two questions: 1)Is there any harm in doing that 2)Why doesn't my "chmod -R 777 /media/internal" command take?

For some reason, I can't change the permissions- even after a "sudo -i", or a "sudo chmod -R 777 /media/internal".
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    because /media/internal is a vfat filesystem. if you want to change permissions on it you need to do it when mounting the file system. there are two solutions to your issue, either run the sftp-server as root, or change the permissions on /media/internal at mount time. see either of these pages in the pre dev wiki

SFTP Access

Write Access to USB Partition via SFTP

The first link shows you how to run the sftp server as root, and the second shows you how to change permissions on /media/internal. the last step in that page is talking about mounting the root fs in rewrite if you need to access to the root filesystem remotely.

I use the first method documented in SFTP Access and have winscp run the sftp server as root.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pullingj View Post
    because /media/internal is a vfat filesystem. if you want to change permissions on it you need to do it when mounting the file system. there are two solutions to your issue, either run the sftp-server as root, or change the permissions on /media/internal at mount time. see either of these pages in the pre dev wiki

SFTP Access

Write Access to USB Partition via SFTP

The first link shows you how to run the sftp server as root, and the second shows you how to change permissions on /media/internal. the last step in that page is talking about mounting the root fs in rewrite if you need to access to the root filesystem remotely.

I use the first method documented in SFTP Access and have winscp run the sftp server as root.

I had already done the steps outlined in the first link, but the second link was the winner. Thank you very much.