Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Hmmm, wonder if we could get VLC to work on the Pre. Would be interesting.
    It would definitely open up Codecs. However, the best media player might be measured in the most efficient coded one (therefore most battery life while playing). I've never looked at if VLC is good or bad in that realm, as it is only used on "real" computers.

I also wonder about TCPMP. This was a kick **** player on the Treo, even with their fairly light processors.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    This link might be useful
    ARM-XCompile - VideoLAN Wiki
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    VLC is already compiled for arm. If you have optware installed, do this in a rooted Pre...

#/opt/bin/ipkg-opt update
    #/opt/bin/ipkg-opt list |grep vlc

vlc - 0.9.9a-1 - VLC is a cross-platform media player and streaming server.

If you want to install, you can then do...

#/opt/bin/ipkg-opt install vlc

Problem is, it loads a lot of dependencies and I ran out of space. If haven't put much effort in it since. You'll probably want to mount or link /opt on your /media/internal to get enough space, or figure out another way to get the pkg loaded on USB drive space.
    How about Conola?

Canola is a media center application for Maemo and Linux. Canola can play both local media, and remote media through the DAAP and UPnP protocols. It can also access other remote media like podcasts, and media services like YouTube and Flickr.
    As it has been pointed out before, the problem is not whether the app is compiled for ARM; it is where it's going to write its output (the rendered video frames). Since the Pre is not running X-windows (which the apps you are mentioning are written for, I'm sure) there won't be a place to display output.

Unless someone figures out how to write directly to Luna's frame buffer (and change the video apps to use it), I'm not sure these are going to work.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Righto, I was planning to look at the existing mediaplayer code and see if it could be applied to VLC. Have moved on to other things.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsit2002 View Post
    As it has been pointed out before, the problem is not whether the app is compiled for ARM; it is where it's going to write its output (the rendered video frames). Since the Pre is not running X-windows (which the apps you are mentioning are written for, I'm sure) there won't be a place to display output.

Unless someone figures out how to write directly to Luna's frame buffer (and change the video apps to use it), I'm not sure these are going to work.
    What did Doom and NES on the Pre output to then?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    What did Doom and NES on the Pre output to then?
    That's a very good question. I don't know the answer, but I'm sure it took more than just installing the app on the phone. :P

Anyway, I'm certainly not saying it can't be done, I'm just pointing out why they probably won't run out of the box.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    The DOOM and NES proof-of-concepts explicitly tell you to kill Luna. They then use DirectFB to talk to the screen, which they now own.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsit2002 View Post

couldn't it be run under the dbus system?
    I'm not really familiar with dbus. Does it rely on x-windows? Perhaps someone with more linux graphics experience should weigh in here.
    DBus is a message bus, it allows applications to communicate with each other on the same system. It doesn't depend on X, or handle graphics. However, it might be used to communicate with Luna. If this is the case, DBus could be used to signal Luna to create a card to contain VLC (once someone figures out how to draw to it).
    Aha, that makes sense. Thanks.
    good discussion. maybe we can see if any of the folks at vlc want to join in on this. perhaps it would take a donation of a pre. =)
    I would like to see this working even if it only supported audio playback initially. I would hope that it would at least allow me to tune in to distant (sports) radio stations that stream in windows media format.