1.    #1  
    how to overclock your palm pre and enable the TI OMAP3430 SmartReflex mode- no|inc Blog

I'll be monitoring to see if it does actually improve battery life. The phone is definitely more responsive and smooth (and much better compared to the OnDemand hack).
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    how to overclock your palm pre and enable the TI OMAP3430 SmartReflex mode- no|inc Blog

I'll be monitoring to see if it does actually improve battery life. The phone is definitely more responsive and smooth (and much better compared to the OnDemand hack).
    I don't notice my phone being any less responsive using ondemand with a threshold of 30. If you do, you can set the threshold lower, and it will bump up to 600 sooner... try 25 instead of 30. How hot is your phone getting? I'd imagine pretty hot considering how hot the Pre gets at the stock 500mhz. Also beware you can't set this setting and ondemand at the same time.

The guy who wrote that blog also posted on here in the cpu scaling thread.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I don't notice my phone being any less responsive using ondemand with a threshold of 30. If you do, you can set the threshold lower, and it will bump up to 600 sooner... try 25 instead of 30. How hot is your phone getting? I'd imagine pretty hot considering how hot the Pre gets at the stock 500mhz. Also beware you can't set this setting and ondemand at the same time.

The guy who wrote that blog also posted on here in the cpu scaling thread.
    Still evaluating, but I really haven't ever noticed my phone getting that hot, except for during the first couple of days after buying it. I did have my up threshold at 30 when I had the OnDemand setting (and yes, I did turn OD off) when applying this. I might try the 25 setting at a later time, but I can say for certain that the occasional choppiness with scrolling is completely gone after pegging the speed.

It does make sense though to try and use a built in power saving feature of the chip as opposed to regular frequency scaling. I'll see what battery life is like after a week to determine if it's any better than what I had while using OD.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    Still evaluating, but I really haven't ever noticed my phone getting that hot, except for during the first couple of days after buying it. I did have my up threshold at 30 when I had the OnDemand setting (and yes, I did turn OD off) when applying this. I might try the 25 setting at a later time, but I can say for certain that the occasional choppiness with scrolling is completely gone after pegging the speed.

It does make sense though to try and use a built in power saving feature of the chip as opposed to regular frequency scaling. I'll see what battery life is like after a week to determine if it's any better than what I had while using OD.
    I'm curious if ondemand doesn't do any voltage scaling, but I wouldn't have any idea how to check, I don't know if you even can...
    I'm also using this method, and I will be monitoring battery life and heat. So far so good, and launching and running apps are a bit quicker. Definitely noticeable.
    I decided to try this out after 3 hours of Pandora on the cpu scaling side of things, had 0 issues with that, so figured I'd give this a shot. First boot with it, I'm loading Pandora right now, but the phone does seem to be running hotter than with just cpu scaling. Heat != good battery life, heat=wasted energy.

edit: Yep, running a video right now, phone's heating right up. This is not boding well for SmartReflex. cpu scaling doesn't heat up the phone at all during pretty much anything.
    I also went from 51% battery to 47% battery in a matter of minutes, this doesn't even compare to cpu scaling, imo.
    Independant of whether or not this works, I think that the instrux should be on the predev wiki. $0.02.

Emkman? (Or anyone else who's been admitted into the club?)
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Independant of whether or not this works, I think that the instrux should be on the predev wiki. $0.02.

Emkman? (Or anyone else who's been admitted into the club?)
    Anyone who wants to contribute can join the wiki "club". Just ask someone on #webos-internals (quick response), or use the application form on the wiki to contact emkman (slower response).

The only reason the password is there is to keep out spammers and defacers.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    No heat issues here. I charged the phone last night, went to bed around 10:00PM at 100%, woke up this morning at 8:00AM and it was at 87%. When the phone is idling, it is almost as cold as ice. Running the video app does seem to take a slight toll, but it's almost on par as to when I had this disabled.
    Is there a way to check voltages when the phone is scaling or using smartreflex? I'd be interested to see what it does with voltages when set to ondemand versus smartreflex and usermode. Maybe part of the issue with scaling is its also scaling voltages, but not doing a good job of it.
    I tried this method with the 600Mhz and SmartReflex, and it made my battery go superdead. I've never actually ran it all the way out in daily use before-- this did it. Right now I'm back at stock settings, at least until the ondemand stuff gets sorted out a bit better.
    Try 550mhz, it is making a huge difference from 600
    If I tried this out and put the script in event.d What would I have to do to change it back to normal. Would just removing the script from Event.D do it?
    you can switch it on the fly by typing at the command prompt:

echo "500000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

but to make it stick during a reboot, just remove the script all together.
    Using smartreflex, set at 550mhz, I've dropped 7% battery life over 20 minutes... its a little better than my first Pre without anything, but its not better than cpu scaling I really hope they get cpu scaling worked out. Phone isn't warm at these settings though, which is good. I don't notice any better performance at all over 600, it feels exactly the same to me. No crashing is nice though.
    Ugh, I've dropped another 7% since the last post. 12 minutes. Unacceptable. Pandora streaming at medium volume, thats all thats running.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Seems to be wayy too much bias in this thread.

However, I'll definitely agree that with heavy use, 600 MHz + SmartReflex drains faster than 600 MHz with scaling (and from my testing, faster than stock.)

In 1 hour of idling, I got the exact same drain on 600 MHz scaling, stock, and 600 MHz SmartReflex (6%), which doesn't really make sense considering with scaling it was running at 125 almost the whole time.

If anyone has an extra pre or something (waiting to send one back maybe?) it would be REALLY nice to see an 8+ hour idle testing with different configurations.