View Poll Results: So how do you guys/gals feels about this AdSense thing if it were available for webOS

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer to pay for good apps.

5 16.67%
  • It's OK as long as I can upgrade to a paid, no-add supported version.

9 30.00%
  • I hate ads! Give me a trial version and I'll pay to upgrade if I like it.

7 23.33%
  • Ads don't bother me. I just want FREE useful apps.

9 30.00%
  1.    #1  
    Just read the AdSense article and was wondering how people felt about ads on their cell phones. Maybe this poll can help the developers among us decide on putting ads in their apps.

http://www.precentral.net/google-ann...e-applications
    Last edited by taharka; 06/25/2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Added link to article
    I hate ads, with a passion. Our world is too immersed in advertising, I can't go anywhere or look at anything without seeing some crapass ad. I'm sick to death of it, and I'd gladly pay for apps to keep from having ads on my cell phone too. When is enough enough? Seriously.
    I guess it boils down to whom Palm is marketing this phone.

Teenager and University age types, who text all day long instead of listing to anything their parents are saying, would likely want as many free low quality advertising enabled fart apps as they can get there hands on.

The business/grown-up user base needs/wants well developed programs that work well and don't contain a bunch of unprofessional distracting adverts.

IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I guess it boils down to whom Palm is marketing this phone.

Teenager and University age types, who text all day long instead of listing to anything their parents are saying, would likely want as many free low quality advertising enabled fart apps as they can get there hands on.

The business/grown-up user base needs/wants well developed programs that work well and don't contain a bunch of unprofessional distracting adverts.

IMO
    Disagree with the generalization. Ad-supported apps will work well if they are properly done -- meaning the ads are unobtrusive and the app itself is solid and does what it ought to do. For example, I actually like the way the AccuWeather app does it. It's slick and it's what I expect from a good ad-supported application. I shouldn't necessarily have to pay 20 bucks because I want to get weather on my phone. Google succeeded with AdSense because they learned how to do ads right without annoying people, and I don't see any reason why they won't succeed similarly in mobile applications. There is no "teenage/grownup" demographic divide in Gmail's user base.
    There is too little space on a phone screen for advertising. If the app doesn't use that space, it probably has a bad UI or doesn't do enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    There is too little space on a phone screen for advertising. If the app doesn't use that space, it probably has a bad UI or doesn't do enough.
    The Accuweather app has on screen ads, its more than functional enough, and has a good ui.
    While I am personally fine with the ads (I just ignore them, I'm not going to buy something just because Accuweather tells me I should), I definitely can understand that some people aren't. I answered that I want more free apps if possible, for myself, but it would just make sense for developers to also offer a paid version without ads for those who aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The Accuweather app has on screen ads, its more than functional enough, and has a good ui.
    While I don't have the Pre yet to really comment. I wonder how big the ad is and if it could instead be replaced with the 7 day forecast or something. Again, I would have to see to really comment. I just get sick of all the noise out there and ignore it anyway, so why not make the space useful.