1.    #1  
    Is it worth it?

I'm leaning toward grabbing the book/online combo. Curious what percentage of the material you can actually practice out-of-the-box so to speak. Granted the SDK isn't out but I know there are a lot of libraries/frameworks that can be downloaded for SOME instant gratification.

Thanks in advance...
    I have it. I would say it is worth it. You can get pretty far along with the News sample app.
    Agreed. This book and the fact that all existing app sources can be studied should get you pretty far. I already have a skeleton app running and I'm planning my first full app.
    If you want a preview, most of the material that's covered in the book explained in a set of tutorials over at webOShelp.net:

Getting Started with webOS

We're a bit behind at the moment, but aiming to catch up in the next week or so.
    Last edited by ken@weboshelp.net; 06/26/2009 at 01:17 AM.
    I don't have a Pre yet, but I think it is worth it. I've been coding a few apps that I want to make for the phone already. Hopefully in a week or two, I'll be able to try the code on real hardware.
  6.    #6  
    That's all the motivation I needed. Thanks again folks...
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I don't have a Pre yet, but I think it is worth it. I've been coding a few apps that I want to make for the phone already. Hopefully in a week or two, I'll be able to try the code on real hardware.
    And how do you run the apps without the SDK?
    Just run them on your pre.

Edit: Just realized you were directing this at the person with no pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeb View Post
    Just run them on your pre.

Edit: Just realized you were directing this at the person with no pre.
    Well, kind of. But now that you mention it: how do you get the code on the pre? (Sorry, newbie questions.)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteele View Post
    Well, kind of. But now that you mention it: how do you get the code on the pre? (Sorry, newbie questions.)
    Read through the forums about rooting your Pre. Then you would just copy the code to right place and manually install the program. Much slower than developing against the emulator, but all we got right now.

I'm hoping one of my homebrew apps turns out as good as I envision, so sending the ipk to Palm will get me an SDK faster to clean up and put in the App Store. We all can dream, can't we.
    I rooted my pre and have been making changes to the nascar app. I haven't spent the time to package anything yet, but you most certainly could. Then you wouldn't have to root your pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Read through the forums about rooting your Pre. Then you would just copy the code to right place and manually install the program. Much slower than developing against the emulator, but all we got right now.
    OK, thanks. That's what I thought, but I wondered if someone had come up with something more direct.
    OK, thanks. That's what I thought, but I wondered if someone had come up with something more direct.
    With the make script for the ipk package, it might turn out to be just as fast to email test candidates over and install then delete. That might be the case before my Pre is in my hands.